Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk starts in defensive midfield

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Struijk starts in defensive midfield

Post by Ellandback1 »

Friday 23rd October 8.00pm | Villa Park | Live on BT Box Office

Leeds travel to a rejuvenated Villa Park on Friday evening, still licking their wounds following narrow defeat at the hands of fellow West Midland outfit Wolves. Perhaps the first thing to say about tonight’s game isn’t related to footballing matters but to the broadcast arrangements. This is Leeds United’s first game to be shown on pay-per-view and fans have taken a stand against the charges. Over 2,000 fans have shunned pay-per-view and instead donated their £15 to Leeds Fans Foodbank, with the charity raising more than £40,000 since Monday.

On the pitch Leeds will be without their talisman midfielder Kalvin Phillips. The England international injured his shoulder on Monday, and will not be available until late November. Skipper Liam Cooper is expected not to be risked following pulling out of Mondays game during the warm up and fellow centre back Diego Llorente is expected to be out for a further fortnight following a minor groin strain he picked up on international duty. Marcelo Bielsa has indicated Pascal Struik will be the man to replace Kalvin Phillips in defensive midfield meaning a shuffling of the defensive line.

Luke Ayling is expected to partner Robin Koch at centre back leaving the possibility of Stuart Dallas switching to right back with Gjanni Alioski or Leif Davis coming in at left back.

Villa are the only team in the Premiership still with a 100% record, and will go top if Dean Smith’s men can beat Leeds on Friday night. Ross Barkley is likely to recover from a knock to his knee ahead of Friday's game. Forward Keinan Davies could return from a calf injury having returned to training last week. Kortney Hause is also regaining his fitness following a groin injury. In form Ollie Watkins has recovered from an ankle knock abnd is expected to play.

The last time the two sides met was during the 2018-2019 season run-in when Mateusz Klich scored a contentious goal as Jonathan Kodjia was down injured. The resulting fracas led to Villa's Anwar El Ghazi being shown a straight red-card with Conor Hourihane and United's Patrick Bamford also booked. Marcelo Bielsa would then go on to instruct Leeds to allow Villa to score directly from the restart, a decision not popular with fans and Pontus Jansson alike.

Dean Smith's side can equal the club Premier League record of five consecutive victories, set in 1996 and matched in 1998. Villa's current eight-match unbeaten streak is their longest in the Premier League since a run of 10 games ended in October 2011. Leeds are attempting to win consecutive Premier League away matches for the first time in 18 years. They can also keep back-to-back Premier League away clean sheets for the first time since April 2002.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Koch, Alioski, Struijk, Costa, Klich, Rodrigo, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Poveda, Roberts, Casilla, Raphinha, Hernandez, Davis, Shackleton

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Math Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

This could be a game of two strikers, Bamford will have to play well above his mean to get a result and I've only ever seen him do that once in two and a bit seasons.

I think Villa must be clear favourites going into this one while we figure out our best starting 11. Not to say we won't win but we're underdogs.

Assuming no Coop

Meslier
Ayling
Dallas
Koch
Struijk
Klich
Shackleton
Costa
Harrison
Rodrigo Moreno as AMF not second striker.
Bamford

for me based on MB's system though I think Roberts is the superior striker.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Aston Villa v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by mothbanquet »

Gonna be a rough ride without Kalvin, that's for sure.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I talked about this somewhere else cannot remember where I like this set up ... means playing a back 3, but easily switchable if required...

Meslier
Ayling Koch Dallas
Costa Struijk Harrison < Poveda when needed)
Shackleton <Hernandez 2nd half) Klich
Rodrigo
Bamford
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Well gonna say it ... said it right at the time we bought him...Love to see Rodrigo in the #10 role ...God :love: agreed with me ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://motleedsnews.com/players/bielsa ... t-rodrigo/
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Struijk stepping into big shoes in a tough fixture. I expect he’ll do fine. He’s physically ideal for the position and he’s quality passing off both feet. It’s his lack of experience that is the worry. If Cooper is back in next to Koch they’ll give him the support he needs.

With his recent development, this is another chance to making himself indispensable to the team. If he puts Grealish on his arse a couple of times it would help as well!!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

MB has announced that Struijk will replace Kalvin so I expect that means Ayling will be part of a back three and five across midfield?
Unless Cooper makes it of course or he drafts in Casey or Davis into a back four?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Struijks lack of pace is what worries me but positioning helps that. I don't like Ayling as a central defender, Dallas even less.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not an ideal situation.

More concerned about Barkley than Grealish, Struijk has a big job on.

If we can keep Koch marking Watkins that will sort him out same as Koch handled Jimenez whose a far better striker atm.

Concern is if Watkins is smart he will pull onto Ayling over Koch same as Jimenez did for Struijk for the goal.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I wonder who our corner taker will be over the next few weeks

Any suggestions?
gessa

Post by gessa »

Harrrison.?
Hernandez if he's playing preferably
Personally I think Ayling would be worth a try.

weak point in our game
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Yeah bit disappointing that it sounds like Bill is going to be moved in the middle. Although i think Dallas will move across to make way for Alioski. And we know Dallas can get forward well on the right.... that Stoke goal was one of my favs last season.

The rest of the team i think we be the same. I have to admit personally i think Grealish is a outstanding footballer. They will be a handfull Villa in the middle of the park... Struijk will have his feet full that's for sure.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 pm I wonder who our corner taker will be over the next few weeks

Any suggestions?
Didn't Rodrigo take one? Rather have him in the box. Costa and Harrison most likely. How come Klich never takes set-pieces? Seems like one of our most technically proficient players. Especially the way he takes penalties.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 pm I wonder who our corner taker will be over the next few weeks

Any suggestions?
I'm gonna go like for like in Struijk. Altho it won't matter we never score. :)

Now watch Koch bag a brace. :P
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Sure hoping Cooper is fit. Losing Cooper, Llorente, and Phillips all at the same time is terrible luck. Meanwhile we've got an abundance of wingers and forwards on the bench.

Hopefully:

Meslier - Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Dallas - Strujik, Klich, Costa, Harrison - Rodrigo - Bamford

If Cooper doesn't play, Ayling goes to CB and Alioski comes in at LB
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 pm Harrrison.?
Jack rarely puts in a decent cross.....fannies about with the ball far too much, if he took them he'd have to dribble around the corner flag three or four times :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:57 pm Yeah bit disappointing that it sounds like Bill is going to be moved in the middle. Although i think Dallas will move across to make way for Alioski. And we know Dallas can get forward well on the right.... that Stoke goal was one of my favs last season.

The rest of the team i think we be the same. I have to admit personally i think Grealish is a outstanding footballer. They will be a handfull Villa in the middle of the park... Struijk will have his feet full that's for sure.
I think Davis will get the nod ahead of Alioski if need be
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

faaip wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:31 pm Struijks lack of pace is what worries me but positioning helps that. I don't like Ayling as a central defender, Dallas even less.
I know what you mean. Occasionally he does seem half a yard off it in the little bits i have seen of him at DM. We will know a lot more after this run of games. Lets hope he avoids the cramp again aswell.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:57 pm Yeah bit disappointing that it sounds like Bill is going to be moved in the middle. Although i think Dallas will move across to make way for Alioski. And we know Dallas can get forward well on the right.... that Stoke goal was one of my favs last season.

Grealish seems to play wide left? We have the Ayling flop vs the always flop :)

Tbf i doubted Grealish a lot, he didnt score or create enough for me. But tbf to him he seems to have added some end product and has shown himself to be very capable in the Prem. Will need watching and not given opportunities to go down and win free kicks as Villa are decent from set pieces.

Have to say i dont like what Grealish does regarding going down. Some call it clever play but not to me, i think buying freekicks likehe does is cheating. Its infuriating because he does get kicked sometimes and he carries on and yet seconds later someone brushes past him and he falls over or even stands on someone elses foot and claims a pen :lol:

Its interesting, Hazard was similar in the sense he would buy free kicks. He got a reputation as a diver in the press, Grealish doesnt (although he does with the footballing fan bases outside of Villa). When Sterling dived vs us the commentators didnt call it a dive. Benefit of being an English player i suppose.

He isnt alone in it, modern football i suppose.

Definitely need to watch him, Barkley and McGinn. Not concerned about Watkins, Koch can deal with him.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I think he has matured big time pal. I thought he ran the show at ER a few years back. He does tend to drift around alot which i like. To compare him to Gazza was a bit premature tho. If your getting fouled alot it means your in the thick of the action. Its a modern thing as you say.