The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd October) Phillips injury boost

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd October) Phillips injury boost

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 23rd October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Late team news and expected line up

Leeds have been boosted by the news that Kalvin Phillips shoulder injury was not as bad as first feared, as is expected back in first team action by 21st November when the Whites entertain the Gunners at Elland Road.

Unfortunately, that is where the good news stops! Leeds face a Villa side this evening with a 100% league record. This may not be surprising, when you see that Villa Manager Dean Smith has bought in Bertrand Traore from Lyon for 19m, Gunners keeper Martinez, also for 17m, highly rated right back Matty Cash from Forest FOR 16m, Ollie Watkins for 28m and England midfielder Ross Barkley on loan. Watkins alone has already netted five times this season. Like most Managers, the new signings made their league appearances as soon as they were bought - why Bielsa brings them in gradually is beyond me.

Leeds will be without Llovente, Phillips and most likely Cooper this evening. According to the Daily Express,
Pascal Struijk is likely to be moved to the holding midfield role, and for Luke Ayling to partner Koch at centre back. Dallas would then swap flanks with Alioski being bough in to cover at left back.

Villa Manager Dean Smith has talked for the first time about about the incident 16 months ago when Bielsa instructed his team to let Albert Adomah walk the ball into the ER net after Smith and John Terry has accused the Whites of unsportsmanlike conduct having scored whilst a Villa player injured himself trying to bring down a Leeds player.

Smith opens lid on fair play decision 16 months ago

"I had the utmost respect for him anyway. We'd qualified for the play-offs, as had Leeds. They still had an outside chance of getting automatic. There was a lot made of the incident, but there wasn't once it had been done from myself and Marcelo. We just felt it was the right decision.

A lot of people forget that just before, one of their players had gone down, we were attacking and Conor Hourihane put the ball out. He felt it was the right thing to do, and we did. "Obviously when Jonathan Kodjia went down we expected that to be reciprocated, it wasn't, and we all know the rest. We were very thankful Marcelo felt he wanted his team to give us the goal back for the integrity of the game.

You certainly don't always see that sort of thing. There was an awful lot of emotion on the pitch, from our bench, because of what had happened four minutes previous. It takes cool heads in those moments and he (Bielsa) certainly showed that. The three games I've had (against Bielsa) have been really competitive, and I expect the same again.

I think our role always as head coach, as players, is to try to create history for the club. There'll be people that'll say 'they've won four on the spin, they're not going to win any more', and 'they're not going to up in amongst the upper echelons'. The game, and life is always about looking to prove people wrong.

He (Phillips) was on a list of players we were interested in but as far as I was aware it never got past initial talks stages, with the price I think they wanted – and rightly so. It upsets our planning. We still don't know when the Arsenal game is going to be yet, which is only a couple of weeks away.

I'm not sure if the live games have been chosen yet for November, and then there's this new pay-per-view fixture listing as well. Unfortunately we have to sit and wait to find out when it is."

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 23rd October) Phillips injury boost

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Phillips being out until Christmas was just clickbait.....

Bielsas system takes a bit longer to learn than " give the ball to Grealish" though at times "give the ball to Pablo" has worked perfectly well for us :)

It was inevitable that the incident would come up ahead of the game.----------------- cue for sky to have a camera outside Stamford Bridge to as you know who what he thinks.... :)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Tough game tonight for sure.
I think we may come away empty handed but I hope I'm wrong.
Villa have made some decent signings and Ollie Watkins has been a thorn in our side in the past.
We need to take any chances that come our way.

The incident when we allowed them to score was bound to come up as its the first time we have played them since it happened.
No doubt Sky will get the pundits going on about it for way more time than its worth.

Better news regarding Kalvin. The international break in November means he may not miss too many games.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Can't stand Dean Smith, he's a bleeding hypocrite

I was at that Leeds v Villa game at ER, the Villa players spent most of the 2nd half feigning injury in a effort to disrupt our play, the incident in the middle of the park where one of their players fell over & played the injured party was embarrassing, the ref saw it & allowed play to continue as it wasn't a serious injury, we went onto score which would have given us a well deserved victory until Smith made a big issue of it with the gentlemanly Bielsa relenting to give them a goal. Never seen anything like it in all the 57 years of watching Leeds. It still riles me today!

Left a sour taste in my mouth, Pontus didn't like it too!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:54 am Better news regarding Kalvin. The international break in November means he may not miss too many games.
If Phillips is back for the Arsenal match on the 21st November, Kalvin only misses three games
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

You’re quite right 64, Villas tactic that day, was to keep feigning injury to disrupt our play. I notice Dean Smith didn’t do the decent thing when Sheffield United scored what was shown to be a perfectly legitimate goal against them and was mistakenly not given because the goal line technology hadn’t worked! Hypocrite!

I’m not a big fan of moving Luke to centre back because, in my opinion, it weakens 3 positions, left back, right back and centre back, but if Struijk is going to be DMF then there is no choice.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:40 am You’re quite right 64, Villas tactic that day, was to keep feigning injury to disrupt our play. I notice Dean Smith didn’t do the decent thing when Sheffield United scored what was shown to be a perfectly legitimate goal against them and was mistakenly not given because the goal line technology hadn’t worked! Hypocrite!

I’m not a big fan of moving Luke to centre back because, in my opinion, it weakens 3 positions, left back, right back and centre back, but if Struijk is going to be DMF then there is no choice.
Smith is a arrogant man Byebye

He needs to show some Bielsa class, thing is he doesn't know the meaning of the word.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Good news about Kalvin.

Why does Smith chuck his new signings in straight away? Because there's not much for them to learn. It's basic bread and butter stuff for most of his signings who slot right into a position they know how to do with tactics they can carry out with their eyes closed. But that said, Rodrigo's starting now and Koch started from the beginning, and Raphers came off the bench the first game after we got him, so not really sure where this sentiment is coming from?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The other good news is Kalvin will miss the international weekend in mid-November
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:59 am The other good news is Kalvin will miss the international weekend in mid-November
Yes, that is a bonus. Agree with you about Smith and Villa.

Also not keen on Bill at CB... I fear our defensive absences may cost us tonight, especially if we don't take our chances.