The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th October) Can Bamford keep it going?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th October) Can Bamford keep it going?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 27th October, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

How good is Bamford?

When I heard in the Summer that Patrick Bamford would start the season leading the line at Leeds Utd, I must admit my heart sank. I envisaged a long hard season teetering on the edge of the drop zone and had nightmares about glaring mistakes, miscues and madness seeping into the squad. Six games in, I can't tell you how delighted I am that I was wrong, but what has happened to the 27yo Choir boy for this amazing transformation.

Could this be Bamford's honeymoon period, with his rich vein of form dropping off at some point? Others are suggesting that the style of play in the Premiership very much suits Bamfords game! Perhaps Bielsa has unlocked Bamfords potential, and he's about to become a 25 goal machine? If a team were to offer you 20m for Bamford now (and we were still in the middle of the transfer window), would you accept it? Who would you say Leeds most underrated player is?

Whelan attacks Agbonlahor comments regarding Bielsa

Former Leeds striker, now pundit Noel Whelen has hit back at claims from Gabby Agbonlahor that Marcelo Bielsa is nothing more than a myth. The former Villa legend spoke prior to Leeds 3-0 assassination of the Claret and Blue on Friday night, and backed up his claim yesterday on TalkSport...

I don’t see clubs like Manchester City or Manchester United, when they win a game, the talk is about a pundit who says that their manager is a myth. You’ve got to expect that. You’re in a big league now, the Premier League, you’re going to get pundits who are going to try and wind up Leeds and put them off their game.

Following these remarks, Noel Whelan has jumped in with some choice words for the 34yo former Villan...

You’ve got Gabby Agbonlahor coming out and saying it’s a myth, Bielsa’s a myth. Well I wouldn’t be thinking that now when he’s seen his team get absolutely battered, not knowing which way to look or turn because everywhere they looked, Leeds players were at them. What Bielsa has done to the club in the space of two and a bit seasons is legendary status, he’s got that already at Leeds United.

I think Gabby Agbonlahor is the only ex-football player that doesn’t believe in what Marcelo Bielsa’s been doing. I don’t know what room he’s been sitting in without a TV but he needs to have a look at that game, maybe he should watch the 90 minutes again and come back and give us another quote.

Club and players get behind Rashford's free school meals during holidays campaign

Leeds United will match the £25,000 donation pledged by Leeds Utd players towards Marcus Rashford's campaign for free school meals during holidays. It comes after a Labour bid to extend free school meals was rejected by MPs after the government said it had already introduced more effective measures to support families.

Leeds City Council announced its "Healthy Holidays" programme - to provide free activities and meals to vulnerable children in the city - on Friday, following Rashford's increased efforts. Cooper commented...

Let's do this Leeds! No children should ever go hungry. £25k guaranteed from the lufc squad. We stand with you Marcus Rashford. Me and the players are really fortunate and we are in a position to help. Therefore we are delighted to support the campaign from Leeds City Council, inspired by Marcus. No kids should go to bed hungry.

gessa

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th October) Can Bamford keep it going?

Post by gessa »

A like for Whelan
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 27th October) Can Bamford keep it going?

Post by Chilli D »

I watched Agbonlahor's summing up of the Villa game on SSN straight after the game and he looked like he was choking on a fish bone as he begrudgingly admitted Leeds were the better side but focused more on Villa having an "off day".
He was asked if Leeds could finish in the top 6 and he replied "no they will be 13th or 14"
The Sky presenter laughed and said "that's a bit precise"
Hopefully Sky will realise what a bell end he is and stop using him.

Glad to see the club getting behind the Marcus Rashford initiative.

Please for Paddy and the praise he is receiving but I'm sorry, I don't see him as international standard.
But if he gets picked, good on him
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Wow so Noel waited till after the game to respond. What a hero.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Gabby by name and Gabby by nature. Scrape him off our shoes and move on..

Happy for Bamford, not a goal machine though. He is on a decent run. Keep it up.

Props to Rashford to displaying his social conscience.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Bamford.

Never doubted he had the ability. I used to see him, pre Bielsa, as a bit of a flair player, good technique, but lacking the work rate. Marcelo has obviously got the latter out of him, but I was surprised to see him become so inept at finishing, which had been his strength.

I remember the discussion over the last couple of seasons about whether the amount of work he puts in had blunted his edge, but it was obviously what was required for his overall contribution to the team.

In the prem this time it looks as though he is bringing the two sides of his game together. All three goals against Villa were technically superb, and the sign of a player in top form. He's always been streaky and had dry spells, so we will have to see how long it lasts, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him really impress this season.

He's got nothing to lose and everything to prove, so I really hope he does it, and rewards Bielsa's faith and patience.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Pretty much agree with what's been said on Paddy. Personally have never rated him as a striker, his record is poor in front of goal. I don't think he gets into this team anywhere else tho, he's defo not a winger or a 10 for me. Credit where credits due tho he's started the season on fire and i'm really pleased for the lad and the team.

He may have a International career in the ROI but forget England.

There is something fundamentally wrong when a parent can't afford to feed their kids.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Morning troops.

I can’t help thinking that having Rodrigo breathing down his neck has inspired Paddy to raise his game, subconsciously or otherwise.

He’s not a loanee, Paddy sees him every day in training, sees how good he is, and knows that he’ll only get better as he adjusts to Bielsaball. Not to mention that he plays number 9 for Spain at the moment!

If that wouldn’t put a rocket up you nothing would, and long may it continue - the competition has done wonders for the team, manager and Paddy himself.

It’s great to see the way he’s stepped up and forced a lot of media detractors to shut up.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Most underrated Leeds playeer

Shackleton.

Give him a run in the team, and we'll have selection problems....
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:58 am Most underrated Leeds playeer

Shackleton.

Give him a run in the team, and we'll have selection problems....
Agreed although never underrated by me EB.
His performance against Villa merits a start against Leicester so it will be interesting to see if he keeps his place or if MB reverts to Struijk.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Well done to Paddy so far, keep it up.

Can’t help thinking that the most underrated players are those that have been with us the longest i.e. Cooper, Ayling and Dallas. These are the players who surprised us all by there ability to step up from, let’s face it, mediocrity to best team in the Championship and have, it seems, been able to step up again, with ease, to looking really good in the Premier League.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Paddy has never been a consistent goalscorer, so he will probably hit a dry patch at some time, That is when the rest of the team have to chip in. Luckily, we now have Spain's number 9 should any dry spell continue for any length. At the moment quite happy to see Bab-Bam keep banging them in, and Rodrigo playing Number 10.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gabby is a figure of disdain for Villa fans so is an odd choice for Sky to give the title of Villa mouthpiece to.

Paddy has always been technically gifted but very inconsistent. His last 2 goals vs Villa were top draw but its a bit early to be talking about international call ups.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 am There is something fundamentally wrong when a parent can't afford to feed their kids.
I agree Leeds1000, :tup:

I was brought up in the back streets of Leeds, my father went off with another woman when our kid & I were both under two years old. Mum remarried three years later, both my parents were in nursing, mum was a hard-working determined woman, academically poor at school however went on to be a sister in Jimmy's & Leeds Infirmary prior to working in midwifery. Unfortunately she received no financial maintenance from my absent father & child benefit was unheard of in the 50's & 60's. After saying all that our kid (my brother) & I never went without food on the table from breakfast to supper time.

Parents are far better off these days so why are they are incapable of providing for the children?

I really feel for 1000's of kids in the UK :( :cry: What a horrible irresponsible society we live in nowadays

Heartwarming to hear footballers/club supporting kids financially in desperate needs, shouldn't have to be their responsibilty though
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Also good to see Whelan taking sense for once
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Club and players get behind Rashford's free school meals during holidays campaign

Fabulous to see, sadly there will always be negletful parents (they do nto deserve the title)... never mind doling out more money, lets start punishingthe neglectful parents...absolutely no reason for kids to be hungry in a free and democratic society.
Whelan attacks Agbonlahor comments regarding Bielsa
Agbonahor..total muppet not even worth wasting oxygen on.
How good is Bamford?
As you said, Bielsa unleashed what was always there...Bielsa himself says so... All strikers have dry spells, I am sure he will have one this season, IMO good for 20 this year, the prem does suit his style.
hector

Post by hector »

Sorry but I thought this pic was funny

bor.jpg
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

hector wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 pm Sorry but I thought this pic was funny

bor.jpg
:rol: :rol: :rol:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Agbonlahor is full of s**t. He embarrassed himself showing his complete lack of knowledge. Never amounted to much as a player either. Only scored about 75 goals in his career. Hes yesterday's news. Onto Leicester
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I think Bamford has gone from over criticism to over hype. Always thought the bashing was unfair and that he'd do a decent job for us in the Prem.

He's done way more than I expected though. Showed great class with his finishes, plus his set up play, like the left wing move against Fulham. I think the England talk is overblown. Right now I see him as exceeding his own ability. But I really hope it lasts. I really hope he keeps improving and showing us more and more of what we've seen this year.