Leeds United v Leicester City Match Thread - Rodrigo and Raphinha out, Shack, Cooper and Pablo in!

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Match Thread Leeds United v Leicester City Match Thread - Rodrigo and Raphinha out, Shack, Cooper and Pablo in!

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Monday 2nd November 8.00pm | Elland Road | Live on Sky Sports

After dispatching unbeaten Aston Villa with ease last weekend, Leeds United face another team competing at the top of the table on Monday in Leicester City. The Foxes stand fourth in the Premier League having won four of their six matches so far, including victories against Arsenal and Manchester City, with Jamie Vardy netting six times already. But it’s not all been plain sailing with defeats to West Ham and Aston Villa. Brendan Rodgers’ men have also been busy in Europe with games the last two midweeks against Zorya Luhansk and AEK Athens this Thursday. The six days more rest could be a crucial advantage for Leeds given the tempo they play games at.

Marcelo Bielsa had some good news for Leeds fans at his pre-game press conference on Friday, captain Liam Cooper has recovered from the injury he picked up whilst on international duty with Scotland and is available to start. Pascal Struijk ably deputised against Wolves whilst Luke Ayling was sensational at centre back last week against Aston Villa. Bielsa revealed he has not yet decided upon his starting eleven but his toughest decision may come at defensive midfield. Struijk started against Villa though was withdrawn having picked up an early booking to be replaced by Jamie Shackleton, who alongside Mateusz Klich dominated midfield and were a deciding factor in the victory.

Did Shackleton do enough to make the starting eleven on Monday? He certainly took his chance with both hands and proved he is more than capable of competing at Premier League level. Whilst Jack Harrison will feature in Matty Cash’s nightmares well beyond Halloween, Helder Costa did not quite have as much success on the opposite wing. A brief cameo from Raphinha impressed greatly, his defence splitting pass to Jack Harrison one not even contemplated by mere mortals. He certainly looks a fantastic prospect, capable of worrying opposition defences but has he yet shown enough to make a case for a place in the starting eleven? Diego Llorente remains unavaialbe.

Portuguese right-back Ricardo Pereira remains on the sidelines and although it is hoped he will return after the international break he will miss Monday's game. Timothy Castagne and Jonny Evans were absent from the Leicester City squad that took on AEK Athens in the Europa League on Thursday. Castagne is likely to miss Leicester’s next three matches with a hamstring injury whilst Evans is also a doubt for the trip to Elland Road with a back injury. To add to Rodgers’ defensive issues Caglar Soyuncu is also out until the new year after his adductor was torn off the bone. Leicester played a makeshift back three against Athens including 36-year-old Wes Morgan.

Latest Team News
Rodrigo will miss out tonight, isolating due to coming into close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19. Raphinha has picked up an ankle injury but captain Liam Cooper will return to the starting eleven. Pablo Hernandez and Jamie Shackleton will start in midfield.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Ayling, Koch, Cooper, Dallas, Shackleton, Klich, Costa, Hernandez, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Alioski, casey, Struijk, Davis, Roberts, Poveda
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds v Leicester Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Elland won't be happy
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:09 pm Couldn't find an existing thread for this - although I thought I'd seen one. Let me know if I missed it and I'll move the post.

Bielsa has said today that Cooper is fit (although I'll wait until after the prematch warmups for confirmation).

Phillips and Llorente still out, so Cooper is the only major change.

It will be interesting to see what he does in midfield. Personally, I'd love to see the Klich/Shackleton pairing again. But we know Bielsa likes to stick with a system and the players so I'd bet on Strujik starting again. Rapahinha has been looking good but I think he's at least a couple more games away from replacing Costa or Harrison.

My guess:

Meslier - Ayling, Dallas, Koch, Cooper - Strujik, Klich, Rodrigo - Costa, Harrison, Bamford
Yes I agree, I think this will be the side that starts.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Brendan Rodgers is a self confessed Bielsa disciple whose style and tactics have been influenced by the boss.

Had a read of the Leicester forum they seem to believe they can out football us.

They struggled vs Villa who we battered and the stats suggest that was more of a football match then attack vs defence and counter.

They did very well vs Man City but had 3 pens and played on the counter.

Imo no club in the league with the exception of Man City and Liverpool are capable of out footballing us.

I think and hope Leicester try because that would favour us, our pressing is the best in the league as Man City found out and trying to pass through us is really hard.

If Leicester try id be very positive about a good result as imo a proper attacking open football match favours us.

Leicester play like Wolves did, dull, organised, on the counter, then that favours them.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Leicester had to play Wes Morgan and Christian Fuchs in a back 3 in Greece.

If thats the case vs us that is a huge advantage, Rodders, Costa, Harrison and Bamford all have the pace over those 2.

Left hand side of Leicester may be the key if that is the case.
Last edited by Cjay on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Cjay wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 pm Brendan Rodgers is a self confessed Bielsa disciple whose style and tactics have been influenced by the boss.

Had a read of the Leicester forum they seem to believe they can out football us.

They struggled vs Villa who we battered and the stats suggest that was more of a football match then attack vs defence and counter.

They did very well vs Man City but had 3 pens and played on the counter.

Imo no club in the league with the exception of Man City and Liverpool are capable of out footballing us.

I think and hope Leicester try because that would favour us, our pressing is the best in the league as Man City found out and trying to pass through us is really hard.

If Leicester try id be very positive about a good result as imo a proper attacking open football match favours us.

Leicester play like Wolves did, dull, organised, on the counter, then that favours them.
I worry a little about their front line. Whatever they've done so far this year, they've done it without Maddison and now he's back. Vardy back after a few games too. Although they have a tighter schedule having played in Europa yesterday. Still - we came out well against Sterling-DeBruyne and not too bad against Salah-Mane-Firmino
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:22 pm Elland won't be happy
Not sure what tools admins have, but maybe he can bump my post down and insert his above
Dynamic array
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Leeds United v Leicester City - Match Thread

Post by Dynamic array »

In their last 7 visits to Elland Road our record against Leicester is poor, five defeats, one draw and our solidarity victory a 1-0 victory courtesy of a Becchio penalty in 2012. Historically though games against Leicester have been fruitful for us, we have scored more hat tricks, seven, against them than any other club, they are also the only side we have put 7 or more past in the league more than once doing it 3 times to them including our biggest ever league win 8-0 in 1934, we also put another 8 past them in 1938 but they netted twice.

So on to Monday’s game, I would say Leicester are probably the slight favourites but the bookies disagree having us at 6/4 and Leicester at 13/8. My worry is Vardy if he plays, with his pace and his style of play he takes advantage on the kind of space our style facilitates. I would imagine if Vardy plays he will have a shadow, Bielsa has done that before asking a player to man mark a dangerous opponent out of the game. They also have the dangerous Harvey Barnes, offensively they are dangerous , however so are we. Leicester having to play in Athens on Thursday will not have helped their preparation, with the travel and the game there will be a bit of fatigue, not what you want when you play Leeds. We all know how Leeds will play, Leicester will not have a second to rest and we will attack them with pace and energy.

It has taken just 6 games on the big stage the Premier League offers for Leeds to make the entire football world sit up and mimic Klopps reaction when we played Liverpool my mouthing “Wow”. Leicester, whatever the result is will know they have been in a game, Leeds will have done their homework on them.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

They are a good team Leicester. I didn't watch the Villa/Leicester game but the reports was they cancelled each other out? Not sure what that really means? Anyway they won't have any trouble with Leeds trying to cancel anything. We will just want to beat them.

Apparently Rogers got it spot on tactically against City when they smashed them, i can see him going down that route. I think it could be a goal fest!
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I think the team selects itself, as stated a few posts above. Could be a tight game and I agree with the sentiments that if they try to attack and play football, their makeshift defence is a sitting duck for the pace and movement of our attacking players. For that reason alone they will play a defensive counter attacking game and try do a Wolves on us, especially since their forwards are the kind to take advantage of the space we will leave.

As also stated elsewhere, Bielsa may leave a shadow on Vardy, and I fancy that will be Koch. Pity as he is our ball-playing centre back. I reckon we will be staring down the barrel of at least one Vardy penalty, but on the plus, my bones tell me Rodrigo will score, and so will Raphinha as a substitute.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Interesting fixture.

Will Leicester try sit back or take us on? Either way it hopefully will an entertaining game.

The last time Rogers brought a side to Elland Road was with Swansea and although we beat them 2-1 they knocked the ball around nicely. It'll be nice to see Casper back, I always had a soft spot for him.

Selection wise I think we might need more than three defenders on Monday.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

One of my oldest friends was a Leicester supporter, he died in april and I keep thinking about all the banter and bullshit we should be sharing now.

It has brought everything back to me so I can honestly say this is only the second time ever I honestly don't care about the outcome.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Quality side, their trip to Greece will help us, as will their injury list, it’s nice having something to look forward to on a Monday!
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 pm Not sure what tools admins have, but maybe he can bump my post down and insert his above
Only jesting Andrew, we needed the matchday thread up as we are only three days away from the game.

I use to post it up, I leave it to Elland nowadays, he'll be ok about it
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:43 pm One of my oldest friends was a Leicester supporter, he died in april and I keep thinking about all the banter and bullshit we should be sharing now.

It has brought everything back to me so I can honestly say this is only the second time ever I honestly don't care about the outcome.
Sorry to hear the distress you're going through Mav
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Leicester have never won at Elland road two days after a full moon

Leicester have never beaten a Leeds team with a manager with the first name Marcelo

Leicester have never beaten Leeds on the same day I've been working in London

Omens look good I'd say
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:39 pm Leicester have never won at Elland road two days after a full moon

Leicester have never beaten a Leeds team with a manager with the first name Marcelo

Leicester have never beaten Leeds on the same day I've been working in London

Omens look good I'd say
3 points then :)
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Think we’ll batter these...

4-0 for me
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:22 pm Elland won't be happy
Great article by Andrew. Its fantastic to see.

I love what I do, but if anyone else fancied doing a match thread or a Breakfast debate, let me know the day before!!!

You guys may or may not have known that I have not been in the best of health recently with a chest infection that has lasted 3 months. I had the results of my chest X-ray back yesterday and fortunately the area around the right lung where the doctor was worried was only part of the chest infection, and the new anti biotics should clear it all up in no time!!!

Anyway, back to footy.

Leeds will be without Llorente (groin) and Phillips (shoulder), but welcome back skipper Liam Cooper to the heart of Leeds. The 29yo has missed the defeat against Wolves and the mauling of Villa following the hamstring strain he picked up on International duty with Scotland.

Jamie Shackleton looks set to deputise for Phillips having impressed against Villa last week.

Brazilian Winger Raphinha must be content with a seat on the bench, but for how long will the 18m Summer signing be happy to do so?

Marcelo Bielsa discusses the new team, and what to expect from Leicester City.
Leicester's long term absentee's include Caglar Soyuncu, Wilfred Ndidi (both groin) and Daniel Amartey (thigh). They have been joined by Jonny Evans (back) and Belgium defender Timothy Castagne.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:56 pm Not sure what tools admins have, but maybe he can bump my post down and insert his above
Absolutely not pal.

Yours is fantastic, and its nice to see other other posters writing styles.

MOT