Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread - No spoilers for latecomers please.

Post by Leeds1000 »

SE London Eagle wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:50 pm Scott Dann pretty good at doing that tbh, yeah we had the rub of the green, you get those days and you have to embrace them, the game was not a 4-1 game, but that's the PL for you, you will beat teams by a margin you shouldn't, as long as it evens out, we had a VAR rule change which means we would have 2 more points for a handball that never was, we had to suck it up, don't be disheartened, stay up and keep building, slowly but surely is the way, that's what we done and 7yrs on were doing ok, not the most exciting team to watch but on our day we can compete with them all
No complaints really from me pal you fully deserved it and it could have been more in truth. Like you say you take the rub of the green when it comes your way. The VAR decision was atrocious tho i'm sure you will agree. The commentator said it was Danns first goal in 3 years that's the only reason i mentioned it. I think it also gets a slight deflection of Koch i may be wrong? Fantastic header all the same. We smashed Villa a few weeks ago when things went well for us.

Watching the highlights your would have to say it was Struijk who lost his runner as Alioski was tracking his runners. The lad will have to learn quickly in the PL.
SE London Eagle
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread - No spoilers for latecomers please.

Post by SE London Eagle »

The Championship is game after game just toughing it out to get promoted end of, tough league to get out of, we have a song for Dann Scott Dann is a goal machine, scored his fair share of goals on our journey a bit past his best but still dependable, you need a squad in the PL, looked like it came off the top of your blokes head to spin the ball in but thats football, VAR can do one, rather talk in the pub after the game about was it?! or not, VAR has ruined that, now the talk is how VAR got it wrong, very different game in Bamfords 1st was a goal (It should have been IMO) Fine margins...etc
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

So apparently Bamford was ruled offside because of a change to the handball rule ( which of course was made after the ball deflected onto Kochs hand to give away a pen at Liverpool)

On the same day that Pickford tries to kill Maguire too ( and of course the is ignored by VAR)

I just think we should give the rest of our London trips a miss and save on the petrol.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

At least the lowest we can go is 15th, unless Fulham beat the bubble boys.... then we stay 14th.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by DavidH »

SE London Eagle wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:14 pm The Championship is game after game just toughing it out to get promoted end of, tough league to get out of, we have a song for Dann Scott Dann is a goal machine, scored his fair share of goals on our journey a bit past his best but still dependable, you need a squad in the PL, looked like it came off the top of your blokes head to spin the ball in but thats football, VAR can do one, rather talk in the pub after the game about was it?! or not, VAR has ruined that, now the talk is how VAR got it wrong, very different game in Bamfords 1st was a goal (It should have been IMO) Fine margins...etc
What well balanced, thoughtful posts. It would have been easy to come here and do a little poking. We are, as you say, new boys in the school. We don't know our way around the corridors and we naively believed we were prefects-elect, because we had so much control in the Championship. I'm sure we're not the first and won't be the last team to be disavowed of that notion. Your encouragement and words of advice are spot on. Get our heads down. Learn from our mistakes, and accept it will take some years to build a team that can challenge the top six. Our task now, is to scrape every point we can to be sure we stay in this division.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

My opinion, for what it is worth, and I am a conspiracy theorist so if you disagree say so.....
Yes we were out played, out thought by Hodgeson ( FFS) but VAR is def against us, Bambi scored two brilliant goals one was off side (LOL) never in a million years, the rules will be changed tomorrow ! he was also brought down on the edge of the box, simular to the Klich 'fou'l that gave Leicester their last minute pen, it took VAR 3 mins to decide, but the foul on Bamford was ruled out in seconds............
We are def upsetting the pecking order, but the odds are certainly against us getting a fair crack at staying up....
Yes the squad is thread bare and needs adding to, but a honest VAR system would be nice we have had two dubious pens against us, given by VAR , a ball to hand decision and that now that rule has been changed ! Klich was deemed to foul a player on the line of the penalty are, a pen was awarded, but when Bamford was hacked down it wasn't even a foul
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Well that was a sobering experience yesterday.

Reminds me of The Emperor's New Clothes story. Everyone's been bigging us up and it turns out we're not as good as we thought we were.

We've had lessons from Wolves, Leicester and Palace in the reality of PL football. Even lowly Fulham knocked three into us.

Bielsa and the players need to learn and adapt very quickly as the standard of coaching and opposition means we've already been sussed.

Admittedly we were unlucky with VAR, firstly for Paddy's great goal and Klichs not given stick on penalty. Their first goal is lucky, second is a worldy and the third was jammy as he'll. Their fourth goal was terribly defended by us.

Our squad is small and lacks quality in depth. That can be addressed, but only if we stay in the Prem for a number of seasons.

The decision to leave Pablo out is baffling, and compounded by our lack of depth. Our general play has turned sloppy and we're constantly giving away the ball.

A big deal is made about our fitness, but we're so sloppy and naive that teams know how to exploit us in a calm and incisive way.

Our defending was great last year, but against better attackers who are better coached we seem to get cut to shreds with ease.

Our main hope is getting KP, Llorente, Rodders and Pablo back in that side, as we just lack quality without them.

Bielsa needs to give himself a shake and ditch this naive approach. Just having one dimension doesn't work at this level.

I think we'll stay up but it's gonna be a long season if we carry on like this.

To be out smarted by Woy Hodgson says enough for me.
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Crystal Palace v Leeds United Match Thread

Post by Aussieleeds »

I’m still upbeat. Apart from the big six, most teams would struggle with 4 starting players out of their lineup, let alone a side with half a dozen PL games under its belt.
I don’t thinK we’ve had the chance to play the same back 5 (including DM) in consecutive games all season so it should not be surprising that our defence has not settled yet.
Add to that, we’ve not had the rub of the green too often and it gets a bit tough in this league.
I reckon if Paddy’s goal stands we at least take a point from todays game.
We’ve seen our Championship players deliver against Liverpool, City and Villa. But if you’re missing say 4 of your top 5 players, players 5-10 can be left a bit exposed.
If our top 11 had all played in the past 2 matches I’d be a bit more worried.