Is MB risking players?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Is MB risking players?

Post by Smudge3920 »

This is not a critisism of MB's decision's, but given the amount of injuries we have had to endure already this season, is MB doing the right thing playing so many 1st team members in the u23's?
The argument can be made that they need match time, but risking injury in these low level matches must be questionable. As the 1st team squad gets back to full strength. would it not be more prudent to start a more consistent rotation at 1st team level?
I know MB prefers to play a regular 11.
Side before self & MOT
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: Is MB risking players?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

The U23s are his way of keeping his players at match fitness, if they dont get game time the risk not being up to the fitness level Bielsa reuires for the first team.
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

I think game time out weighs the risk of injury.
It will all come clear in the end
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:06 pm The U23s are his way of keeping his players at match fitness, if they dont get game time the risk not being up to the fitness level Bielsa reuires for the first team.
yes I get that mate,... what I am trying to say is would it not be better to do rotation witha fully fit squad... they need 1st team games to keep the edge .
Side before self & MOT
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

gessa wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:08 pm I think game time out weighs the risk of injury.
Oh without question gessa... its a balancing act
Side before self & MOT
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unfortunately it's part & parcel of football Smudge, players need game time particularly those on generally on the bench or players returning from injury.

It's a concern similar to when our players are on international duty, there's always the fear injuries could occur. The problem we have is our squad isn't deep as was proven v Leicester & Palace.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:08 pm yes I get that mate,... what I am trying to say is would it not be better to do rotation witha fully fit squad... they need 1st team games to keep the edge .

I'd rather Rodrigo played than Roberts but if we need to call on him he needs to be match sharp. Not going to get that with 10 minutes here and there, U23s gives him the chance to get competetive minutes under his belt.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:13 pm It's a concern similar to when our players are on international duty, there's always the fear injuries could occur. The problem we have is our squad isn't deep as was proven v Leicester & Palace.

I'd prefer it if the didn't play in pointless internationals though!
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Thats what I am talking about... with Rodrigo, Raphina, Pablo, struijk, and aliolski would we not be better rotating 15 or 16 players in the 1st team games.. decision time has to come soon Rodrigo and Raphina especially have got to be 1st team starters.
Side before self & MOT
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:25 pm I'd prefer it if the didn't play in pointless internationals though!
Oh bang on there YS
Side before self & MOT
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Bielsa doesn't seem to like rotation. Obviously it works for him to have consistent selection. I don't think there's much risk factor of playing 45 minutes in the 23s. Its common practice. I'd even say 45 minutes is minimizing risk. Poveda, Davis, Strujik and Roberts don't get many minutes. I'd have had them play the full 90.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Part of the game for first teamers to build up fitness etc in the seconds. There has been a larger incidence of soft tissue injuries across the Premiership this season so that may become an issue.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins