Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - An open game in the early stages at Goodison Park

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - An open game in the early stages at Goodison Park

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:30 pm Also thought Koch was quietly commanding tonight, some really good reads and interceptions.
Much more comfortable today, very composed
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Re: Everton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - An open game in the early stages at Goodison Park

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:12 pm And credit to Poveda and Rodders.

Great skill from Poveda and lovely lay off from Rodders, Costa should have scored.

Coops still worries me, Calvert Lewin kept getting behind him.

The chance 1st half where he iust let the ball go.

He has been a great servant but imo this needs to be his last season as a 1st choice.
Starting to think the same on Cooper. Was quality in the championship and he obviously has huge respect as a leader from the team. But we're signing better players and Cooper is looking a little behind the standard in the premier league. I even think he's losing his confidence and voice a little. When I saw him play his first game this season he was really loud and shaping the defence. Didnt see as much of that today. Once Llorente is up to pace, I think he'll be taking Coop's place/
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:48 pm Amazing how much better a coach you become with Kalvin Phillips in the lineup. :)

Especially since it's all down to Bielsa that Phillips is the player he is today.
Very much so John :tup:
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:45 pm It will be interesting to see if there are any repercussions for Paddy.

Bielsa (imo) sees football as a team game and believes (again imo) that players should put the team first and not themselves.
Alio should be punished then for going for goal rather than simply squaring it if this is the case. PB had a right to be angry
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:50 pm In fairness, Paddy just looked aggrieved because he felt he could still contribute by scoring - easily interpreted as passion for the team. No bottle kicking or armband throwing- and I’m not dissing Pablo here, just it wasn’t the same type of dissent coming off.
Yes Pablo's reaction was worse, and very diss-worthy.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 pm Starting to think the same on Cooper. Was quality in the championship and he obviously has huge respect as a leader from the team. But we're signing better players and Cooper is looking a little behind the standard in the premier league. I even think he's losing his confidence and voice a little. When I saw him play his first game this season he was really loud and shaping the defence. Didnt see as much of that today. Once Llorente is up to pace, I think he'll be taking Coop's place/
I think you can just see it when its a 1v1.

Better players are to quick, clever, strong for him.

Zaha did him really easily for Palace, Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison rolled him and got in behind him a few times today.

He deserves immense credit for what he helped us do the last 2 seasons but the system we play has helped him a lot.

Unfortunately in the Prem the system cant cover everything and simply better players do show him up on occasion.

As a back up fine.
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

dezzy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:18 pm All depends what he was giving out about, I don’t think it was because he was subbed,
True if it wasn't then there is no problem
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:17 pm Dallas has been amazing, consistently good whenever we play him.
Prior to the game some were suggesting we should drop Dallas

One of the first players on the team sheet for me

A modern day Paul Madeley in Bielsa's set-up
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Will be interesting to see if Paddy suffers any consequences.

Wasnt the same level of tantrum as Pablo but it was still a show of frustration.

MB wants players to do what they are told and not complain.

Although minor Paddy did show some frustration.

What may help is it wasnt highlighted in the interview after

MB was asked about Pablo's tantrum but not Paddy's.
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:45 pm It will be interesting to see if there are any repercussions for Paddy.

Bielsa (imo) sees football as a team game and believes (again imo) that players should put the team first and not themselves.
I'm glad to see the passion in him.
Doubt Bielsa push back unless words were exchanged afterwards.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

Cjay wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:33 pm Will be interesting to see if Paddy suffers any consequences.

Wasnt the same level of tantrum as Pablo but it was still a show of frustration.

MB wants players to do what they are told and not complain.

Although minor Paddy did show some frustration.

What may help is it wasnt highlighted in the interview after

MB was asked about Pablo's tantrum but not Paddy's.
He was set for the history books and should have scored with the one Pickford saved with his legs, think the frustration shown was towards himself.
It will all come clear in the end
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Observation.....
We won today, but how many were calling for Bielsa to change things before we scored?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

gessa wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:45 pm He was set for the history books and should have scored with the one Pickford saved with his legs, think the frustration shown was towards himself.
Agree! Himself, not Bielsa
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:02 pm Observation.....
We won today, but how many were calling for Bielsa to change things before we scored?
I was, thought Alio had a good game but started looking tired and a few sloppy passes showed that, was hoping he'd bring Rodrigo on as there was a lot of space around the 20-25 metre area, that he would have cherished. That's why Bielsa is a class coach and I just spout bollocks on here. ;-)
paddy parrott
First Team
First Team

Post by paddy parrott »

Brillant article by Chris Bascombe gessa very good indeed . All told with style ,openness and much much colour .
Marcelo would love it , even Ancellotti would agree .
I'd go as far as saying DiegoArmando Maradona would have enjoyed the run with Mr. Marcelo .
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Everton fans starting to question Ancelotti.

Dont mean to be rude but ffs know your place, who do they expect to get as manager?

Not the right man for them imo.

His best work has come at money bag clubs with the structure and whatnot in terms of success.

PSG,Bayern, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Milan.

Nothing about his previous work suggests he is the man to totally transform a club

He succeeds at clubs who have won stuff fairly recently and are having a slump not at a club who havent achieved anything for decades.

Good manager but probably the wrong one imo.
SG90
Manager
Manager

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:40 am Everton fans starting to question Ancelotti.

Dont mean to be rude but ffs know your place, who do they expect to get as manager?

Not the right man for them imo.

His best work has come at money bag clubs with the structure and whatnot in terms of success.

PSG,Bayern, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Milan.

Nothing about his previous work suggests he is the man to totally transform a club

He succeeds at clubs who have won stuff fairly recently and are having a slump not at a club who havent achieved anything for decades.

Good manager but probably the wrong one imo.
I said a few weeks back when they were top that I wasn't impressed with them and they'd just beaten teams they were supposed to. Ancelotti has obviously been brought in for top 4/trophies, but like Guardiola, has he ever built anything at a club or does he just win trophies at the top clubs who win regardless of manager? That's why solely rating managers on trophies doesn't show the whole picture.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:28 pm Prior to the game some were suggesting we should drop Dallas

One of the first players on the team sheet for me

A modern day Paul Madeley in Bielsa's set-up
Dallas just fits in and gets on with it, plays all over the place and never lets you down.
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

danhirons wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:24 pm Alio should be punished then for going for goal rather than simply squaring it if this is the case. PB had a right to be angry
If you go down that route then the first in line for punishment is Bamford himself. He took a ball off Ayling’s toe in the box in the first half to turn away from goal to take a shot himself that he had a low chance scoring with. If he let it to Ayling his momentum was taking it towards the centre of the box and a far better chance of scoring. Ayling was rightly pissed with him for that.

There just seems to be a lack of confidence throughout the team currently in shooting. It’s like we expect to miss every chance. We rush chances, we blast them when a roll or placing is required and often we pass on the chance because of the doubt. It’s the oldest adage in the game - putting the ball in the net is the hardest thing to do. But it’s like we go out thinking about that from start to finish recently. I really hope some work is done on this by Bielsa as our goals V chances ratio must be crazy at the moment. Our overall play deserves a far higher return at the moment.