The Leeds United Weekend Brunch Thread - POST MATCH DEBATE

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

The Leeds United Weekend Brunch Thread - POST MATCH DEBATE

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 08.10.52.png

Everton v Leeds

Would you start with Rodrigo?

Dallas or Alioski as left wing-back?

Who is Everton's most influential/dangerous player?

Will we win, lose or draw?

If there is one player you could pluck from the current Everton team, who would it be?

What are your favourite Leeds/Everton moments from years gone by?

Who is your favourite Everton player from years gone by?

Screenshot 2020-11-28 at 08.22.58.png

Great tribute to Big Jack

Leeds United have renamed Elland Road’s East Stand as The Jack Charlton Stand. Charlton, the club’s record appearance-maker, died earlier this year at the age of 85

Your favourite Jack moment?
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The Leeds United Weekend Debate (28th/29th Nov)

Post by Aussieleeds »

My favourite Everton player of all time is Arnold Muhren.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I would definitely start with Rodrigo.

Dallas, Everton will be a much bigger attacking threat than Arsenal, Dallas is better than Alio defending, Ayling will have to up the defensive side of his game today.

Calvert Lewin has to be their most dangerous player and the one I would have input team at present.

Unfortunately I think we will lose today, I don't think out defence will cope, obviously I hope I'm wrong.

There's been a lot of great games against Everton and it seems one of those fixtures where the home side have done well in. The one game I remember well was a League Cup QF, around 78, we were all over them but went 1 down, we carried on bombarding their goal to no avail, then one of theirs(Huggins, I think it was) decided to do a rugby tackle on the half way line, which infuriated the crowd the atmosphere went up a notch or 2, we went on to win 4-1, it was like the Alamo, attack after attack, remember the away end being virtually empty with 10 minutes to go.

Bob Latchford, proper CF.

Jack was before my time, only saw him when we were on MotD or Soccer Special, his towering headers were my main memory of him, did meet him at a sports event about 30 years ago, signed my 72 cup final and semi final programmes
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1) Yes
2) On balance, probably Dallas. But either way I’m sure Marcelo will get it right.
3) Don’t know many of their players but that big, double barrelled lump up front looks dangerous.
4) Win I hope.
5) Don’t know many of their players but that big, double barrelled lump up front looks dangerous.
6) Out of the teams in the current Prem I think Everton are one of the teams we have least rivalry with, so can’t think of a favourite/memorable moment. I’m sure other posters will tho’.
7) Gary Speed, Jermaine Beckford, Duncan McKenzie.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I think Rodrigo should start and Dallas should return to LWB, his best position but I firmly believe that MB will start with the same as last week.
You can sort of understand that reasoning after Alioski's performance against Arsenal.

Obviously Calvert-Lewin is their biggest threat in terms of goals but they also have Richarleson and Rodriguez so they have real attacking threat.
Its unlikely we will keep a clean sheet so we will need to score at least two to win the game.

I don't have a favourite Everton player but they had hell of a side in the 80's with Gray, Reid, Bracewell etc
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Feels like I have been waiting all week for this.

I would definitely like to see Rodrigo in the starting line-up as he offers more of a goal threat which for me is still our biggest weakness - if we'd scored first v Leicester or Palace I think we could have won both matches - or even if the Bamford offside goal stood to bring it back to 1-1. For me it would be Rodrigo in and Dallas back to left back.

Favourite Everton player is Neville Southall. Best keeper in the world at his prime. Would take James Rodriguez out of their current line-up as he adds a touch of class.

Favourite Everton match is when we beat them 3-2 in our return to the top flight in 1990. It showed we were good enough to be at that level and was good revenge for them beating us 2-0 in the FA Cup in 1984 I think. Remember that FA Cup match being live on TV and it is probably the first live tv match that I saw Leeds play in. Had to watch it in a hotel in Manchester as we were on our way to or back from Ireland as we were living there at that time.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Definitely need to see more of Rodrigo/Raphinha starting together. Let Costa fight out the LW spot with Harrison for all I care. Phillips being back really lets us use Klich in his natural element, we can give anybody a game with that midfield.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

It’s time for Rodrigo to start imo

Dallas, no disrespect to Alioski but Dallas has the edge

Calvert Lewin seems to grab all the headlines but I’ve not seen much of Everton to pass comment on their most influential

Win, forever the optimist

The 3-2 win when we returned to the big time was great but for sheer edge of the seat stuff it has to be the 4-4 in 99 which brought an end to our 10 straight wins

Agree with Ges, Bob Latchford as I remember him on MOTD late 70s banging the goals in week after week.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Yes, starts in place of Alioski for me. Dallas LB, Rodrigo CAM.

Harsh on Alioski but Dallas definitely plays for me.

Most influential? Rodriguez but an honourable mention for Allan and Doucoure
Most dangerous? Calvert Lewin

Hoping for a win, got a good feeling about it. Everton seem to struggle defensively and we seem to have turned a corner with our own defence

If there is one player you could pluck from the current Everton team, who would it be?

Difficult one this. Rodriguez is too slow for Leeds and doesn't do the tracking back.

Allan and Doucoure are both brilliant midfielders but I wouldn't drop Klich or Phillips.

Would have to go with either Richarlison or Calvert Lewin. Calvert Lewin would be my choice as Richarlison has a big discipline issue.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Leeds United Weekend Brunch Debate (28th/29th Nov)

Post by whiteswan »

Good morning everyone. Brunch! Perfect.....
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:06 am Good morning everyone. Brunch! Perfect.....
Good morning Swannie

You managed brunch then :lol:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Would you start with Rodrigo? No

I think Alio will keep his place

I will go with DCL just because of his goals. I get that's like saying Bamford is our best player. :) Tha Rricharlison geezer is supposed to be some player. Hopefully not today tho.

Will we win, lose or draw? Will will win or draw.
Losing is not a option.

Nigel Martyn (what he doesn't play anymore) Coleman has been a good player for them over the years.

They are both proper football clubs.

Who is your favourite Everton player from years gone by? Dixie Dean???
Some record that. Graham Sharp always seemed to come up with important goals. And what's not to like about big Dunc, unless you were playing against him obviously.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Rodrigo to start but I'll go against the crowd as usual and say Alioski at left wing back. His defending is 100 times better than this time last season, I feel he's more creative and imo Jack needs to drop back less and forms a better partnership. The big knock on Dallas is lack of pace and I feel we might need that today versus a quick front line. If Dallas plays Jack may need to do a lot of chasing back

Can't remember any Everton players of the past, no idea who plays for them now having never seen them play this season.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Yes

Dallas

Calvert-Lewin

Calvert-Lewin

Both in the 70's

I remember our 3-2 victory with Giles & Bremner scoring the goals, Billy got the winner

Also the 5-2 when Clarke & Lorimer got a brace each

Our 2-3 win at Goodison in 1990 was special too

Probably Alan Ball whom was a terrific midfielder, Revie tried to sign him.

Derek Temple, Alex Young & Howard Kendall were fine players from the 60's

Joe Royal, Bob Latchford & Andy Gray were excellent No.9'sfor the toffees

Your favourite Jack moment?

His gangly dribbles when he went on a forward run
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Rodders should definitely start.

Ali over Dallas for me, think he deserves it based on his performances this season, Ali hasnt let us down once and was brilliant vs Arsenal. Plus personally i think he is vetter, more creative, more energy, more pace, better defender.

Everton most influential player

Rodriguez, Calvert- Lewin gets a lot of praise and rightly so but Rodriguez is class whereas Calvert-Lewin is having the season of his life.

Everton player you would take.

Allan.

Basically the Forshaw replacement we never signed, absolute class and would displace KP easily if we had the chance.

Havent got any memories of Everton to mention.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Yes

Same question as above. My ideal line up would be Rdrigo as AMC and Dallas at LB. But I know Bielsa likes to add a 3rd mid (Dallas) against tougher opposition.

Richarlison

Pass

Not sure I'd take any tbh. Lewin maybe a touch ahead of Bamford but I wouldn't swap

Gary Speed for obvious reasons. Neville Southall as a kid
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

His gangly dribbles when he went on a forward run
[/quote]

Yes I remember those dribbles 64, never looked in control did he? Quite comical really!
Big Jack was a fantastically effective defender though!
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Duncan "big heid tha baw" Ferguson

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Gessa wrote...
Unfortunately I think we will lose today, I don't think out defence will cope, obviously I hope I'm wrong.
Nice to be wrong sometimes aint it mate ... 8-)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Smudge3920 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:41 pm Nice to be wrong sometimes aint it mate ... 8-)
Most definitely is Smudge.