Cavani Racism Accusation - Sounds Familiar

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Cavani Racism Accusation - Sounds Familiar

Post by Boo Radley »

Cavani looks to be in serious trouble over an Instagram post he put up after Man U’s win over Southampton yesterday. It seems he wrote, in Spanish, “Gracias Negrito” to a friend who had congratulated him on the win.

It was flagged to him as being potentially racist and he deleted it. He is claiming that in Spanish that this is not a derogatory term. In fact by using the “ito” add on it proves that it is an affectionate term. This doesn’t seem to wash with the FA and he could now get a three match ban.

Some of these issues and claims came up in Kiko Casilla’s case. The fact that it is another Spanish speaker that’s in trouble could imply that Spanish speakers are either looser in the use of racist terminology, or there really isn’t a perception that certain words in Spanish are racist for them. I actually think he wasn’t being racist.

Either way, there’s precedence now so they should give him a seven match ban. Otherwise they can absolve Casilla with hindsight. The three match ban would mean he’d be back just in time to play us! Seven matches is better!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: Cavani Racism Accusation - Sounds Familiar

Post by Ratscoot »

Agree Boo I don’t think he in his eyes he was been racist, similar to Kiko so the FA should spend 4 months umming and a harring, then throw the book at him but Cavani is a World known player and plays for the scum so I’m guessing it will be looked at very quickly and the decision will be, he wasn’t been racist and to prove it he will go play six games for Derby and if he scores more than 2 goals Derby will be automatically promoted to the Prem with Rooney as manager so everyone will be happy :?
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Aussieleeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Aussieleeds »

Zero chance of any action being taken.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Regardless of whether Cavani should face sanction, you're not seriously comparing the two situations are you?

The situations are completely different.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:39 pm Regardless of whether Cavani should face sanction, you're not seriously comparing the two situations are you?

The situations are completely different.
Of course they are not one was over heard by one other in a packed penalty area, the other was seen by thousands on social media.....
One plays for Leeds, the other Manscum...
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

It's a passionate game is football
How the f**k can ya be pc
When ya busting a gut in the heat of battle
Anyone who's played football will tell you this.

I just wish the pc brigade would leave sport alone

Ffs they'd be giving yellow and red cards all over Europe in ww2 wouldn't they
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

I broke my leg in a sunday morning game
And smoked 20 benson and hedges
Before the fooking ambulance turned up
Who do I sue the nhs or the tab company or the dirty mackem ba***rd who done me
hector

Post by hector »

liggy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:27 am
Who do I sue the nhs or the tab company or the dirty mackem ba***rd who done me
All 3...

there is more chance you could win summat.. :)

although the mackem may be dead by now of terminal dumbness :)
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

let's be honest - one of the best things to ever happen to use recently (after Bielsa joining obviously) was kiko getting that ban so that meslier could go in goal - found what looks to be a young gem. who knows if we would have got promoted with calamitous kiko still making mistakes in net?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

danhirons wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am let's be honest - one of the best things to ever happen to use recently (after Bielsa joining obviously) was kiko getting that ban so that meslier could go in goal - found what looks to be a young gem. who knows if we would have got promoted with calamitous kiko still making mistakes in net?
Good point Dan
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

I reckon the difference is that Cavani’s used a term that he didn’t perceive to be offensive when talking to a friend.

Shouldn’t have said it. He earns £200k a week as a high profile football player, simply has to be careful what he posts and have an awareness of the sort of things you can and can’t say in this country.

Don’t think he meant to cause offence. Still, 3 game ban should apply. He will learn from it and put it behind him. I’m sure no other PL player will use it in the future.

Whereas with Kiko, he’s had a bit of verbal and been winding up/wound up by another player on the pitch. He’s then used a racial slur and found himself with an 8 game ban. Difference is, he’s used it with intent in a moment of anger. Whether it was just a stupid rush of blood to the head or not, the fact that the word would find itself in his vocabulary is indicative of the sort of person he is. I certainly wouldn’t even begin to think to use the word, in any case, and certainly not in the case of something as trivial as an on-the-pitch disagreement.

We can hide behind the ‘balance of probability’ stuff all we want, but let’s be real here. The club is better off without him.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Fridge wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:54 pm I reckon the difference is that Cavani’s used a term that he didn’t perceive to be offensive when talking to a friend.

Shouldn’t have said it. He earns £200k a week as a high profile football player, simply has to be careful what he posts and have an awareness of the sort of things you can and can’t say in this country.

Don’t think he meant to cause offence. Still, 3 game ban should apply. He will learn from it and put it behind him. I’m sure no other PL player will use it in the future.

Whereas with Kiko, he’s had a bit of verbal and been winding up/wound up by another player on the pitch. He’s then used a racial slur and found himself with an 8 game ban. Difference is, he’s used it with intent in a moment of anger. Whether it was just a stupid rush of blood to the head or not, the fact that the word would find itself in his vocabulary is indicative of the sort of person he is. I certainly wouldn’t even begin to think to use the word, in any case, and certainly not in the case of something as trivial as an on-the-pitch disagreement.

We can hide behind the ‘balance of probability’ stuff all we want, but let’s be real here. The club is better off without him.
That’s probably the best summary of both situations, and yes we are better off as a result of how it has played out. :tup:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cavani should get a ban.

Kiko was made an example of and so should Cavani.

If there aren't any sanctions for racist behaviour then why bother with Kick it Out, BLM and taking the knee?

We definitely benefitted from Kiko being banned, but should Meslier have been injured, same now, El Clowno is next in line, we need rid and a better back-up brought in.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Interestingly a year ago Kiko was picking up his award as the Championship player of the month for November.

I don't disagree that it has worked out well in that it gave Messlier a chance that he has taken and he looks a very promising keeper but l see no need for people to continually knock Kiko - we are lucky to have 2 decent keepers at the club.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I watched some of that Anton Ferdinand docu last night. Before the incident where Terry calls AF a BC. Anton admitted calling Terry a C*nt and then said go and sleep with your teenage bride. Are we to interpret that to mean that AF referred to John Terry as a nonce who likes under age girls?

Is one acceptable in the game, and one not?
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Context is important, I think.

If he wanted to deliberately cause offence, he would have done.

Certainly not using a handshake emoji to accompany the text.

He should get a slap on the wrist and no more. But he won't, he'll likely receive a significant ban in another victory for the baying mob.
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Ron Swanson wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:38 pm Context is important, I think.

If he wanted to deliberately cause offence, he would have done.

Certainly not using a handshake emoji to accompany the text.

He should get a slap on the wrist and no more. But he won't, he'll likely receive a significant ban in another victory for the baying mob.
If an 8-12 game ban is the ban for racial abuse then the 3 game ban he’s looking at would constitute a ‘slap on the wrist’
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Millwall fans were having none of it yesterday. Time to move on for me. We get the message, how long do they need to make the same point?
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Reported today on BBC Sport that:

Manchester United's Edinson Cavani has been charged by the Football Association for a social media post containing a Spanish phrase that is offensive in some contexts.
The Uruguayan sent the message after scoring United's winner at Southampton on 29 November.
Cavani, 33, subsequently deleted the post and apologised when the meaning that could be attached was pointed out.
The striker could be banned for three matches if he is found guilty.
An FA statement, with reference to new guidelines agreed in the summer, said the post was alleged to be "insulting and/or abusive and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute".
It is also alleged "that the comment constitutes an aggravated breach" which "included reference, whether express or implied, to colour and/or race and/or ethnic origin".
Cavani has until Monday, 4 January to provide a response to the misconduct charge which United say they will consider, but repeated their message that there was no malicious intent behind the forward's post.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Heard ManU defending it as "no malicious intent." Since when was that important? Racism is racism. It doesn't matter. They should hold the scum in contempt for trying to defend it.