The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 1st December) Will Leeds need to sell before they can buy?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 1st December) Will Leeds need to sell before they can buy?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Tuesday 1st December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Will Leeds need to sell before they can buy?

Having spent close to £100m in the Summer, and the financial climate not changing anytime soon, is it time to showcase some of our fringe talent to build up a kitty? The main player I was thinking of is Costa. The 26 year old has done absolutely nothing wrong during his tenure, but with the arrival of Raphinha , surely the ex Wolves wingers appearances are going to be limited? This is of course based on the Brazilian occupying the right wing position! Is that Raphinha's best position? Let's not forget, we already have Hernandez and Poveda that operate the right wing!

Should Leeds be making a concerted effort to move on Casilla due to his high wage packet? What about Roberts? Lets not forget he is only 21. He could have a big future in front of him! For how long will Rodrigo be happy to play second fiddle to Bamford?

Leeds drawn away to the People's Pension Stadium for 3rd Round of FA Cup

Leeds have been drawn against John Yem's Crawley Town in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup this season. The Reds have been a part of the football league since the 2010-11 season when under the tenure of Steve Evans they earned entry into the top 92 clubs in the Country. Evans of course went on to manage Leeds under the Cellino regime. When asked whether he was buzzing from the draw, Yems joked...

Not really, I wanted a bigger club! Seriously, you couldn't have asked for more. It's obviously a tough game but let's hope a few more fans will be able to come. It will be the biggest game at home in the club's history. It's got to be great for the town. It will give everyone a boost. It will be good for the players playing against good players let's just hope we put on a good show.

The game is scheduled for the weekend of 9th - 10th January 2021.

Financial savings by not attending games

Those of you at attend home and away games, how much money do you think you have saved by not being able to attend matches. Apart from the petrol station, where would you normally spend your money when attending an away game? Would you ever have an overnight stay? Do you try and explore the local attractions (and we're not talking about Wetherspoons)! Have you ever driven a long distance to an away game, only for it to be cancelled?

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 1st December) Will Leeds need to sell before they can buy?

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks,

I would be surprised if there was much interest in our players.
While the likes of Bamford, Dallas, Klich Ailioski and Ayling are performing at a higher level than they would have ever have expected it is as much about them adhering to the system. Take that away and I wonder how they would do. So who would want to spend big? Only KP is imo sellable but that is a nono.

I have saved around £400 on missing one game so far. I had aimed for 3 this season, maybe 4, going to Anfield or Goodison and dutting in the home end with my brother in law.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 1st December) Will Leeds need to sell before they can buy?

Post by mothbanquet »

When talking about transfers, you have to remember we don't exactly have the deepest squad to begin with, so some players we just don't have the luxury of moving on unless we're getting like-for-like. Rodrigo's making the AMF role his own and I'm happy with him there, I don't think he is or was ever meant to replace Bamford. Kiko might be a sticky issue but he's an experienced backup for Meslier, so unless we pull another GK blinder then if we replace him then it'll be a downgrade. Costa is good backup for both Harrison and Raphinha (who can also play centrally) so getting rid of him is a very very low priority, in fact I'd say he should be fighting with the former for the LW spot right now.

Out of the whole squad, Roberts and Forshaw are the only players whose time is drawing to a close, for different reasons. I'd sacrifice both to get a player like De Paul - good upgrade in CMF, lets Rodrigo cover Bamford without issue if needed, lets Raph play on either way. I don't have anything against Roberts personally, he's a talented player who was maybe pushed too hard too young (not by us either) but he's going to fall away if he doesn't offer more.

It was good to read Yem's words and remember that there's still an attitude of football played for the fans in this day and age. I hope we go there and put on a great show.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 am Morning Folks,

I would be surprised if there was much interest in our players.
While the likes of Bamford, Dallas, Klich Ailioski and Ayling are performing at a higher level than they would have ever have expected it is as much about them adhering to the system. Take that away and I wonder how they would do. So who would want to spend big? Only KP is imo sellable but that is a nono.

I have saved around £400 on missing one game so far. I had aimed for 3 this season, maybe 4, going to Anfield or Goodison and dutting in the home end with my brother in law.
I didn't think we'd be able to shift Douglas but there we go. I think being part of the team that got Leeds (or any team) promoted carries a lot of weight even if they only played a small part.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I think Roberts and Forshaw (if he ever gets fit) are both likely to go out on loan in January rather than be sold. No-one in their right mind would pay money for a player who hasn't played for 18 months.
Moving Casilla on to reduce the wage bill makes sense if we can get an adequate replacement.

I once drove to Nottingham (around the early 90's) on the spur of the moment to see us play Forest in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Unbeknown to me it was all ticket. I milled around outside the ground trying to obtain one and with about 5 minutes to kick off a policeman on a horse told me if I didn't have a ticket, to go forth and multiply or he would stick in the back of a police van until after the game.
So I got back in to my car and drove home. I remember we lost the game, I think it was 1-0.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mothbanquet wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:46 am I didn't think we'd be able to shift Douglas but there we go. I think being part of the team that got Leeds (or any team) promoted carries a lot of weight even if they only played a small part.
Hi Moth,

Though we loaned Douglas out.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

What if Raphinha is injured for a few games, at Prem prices 16M for Costa is acceptable for a good back up player who has the ability to change the game off the bench.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Over the decades of attending football matches the travel fare & match ticket has been the major expense, latterly I've saved a fair bit being a concession on both counts.

I try minimise food/drink expenses to £20 on away trips as I always take a pack-up with me too, prepared by Mrs 64 of course!

Difficult to ascertain how much I've saved, lets say my bank account is considerably richer :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

After some decent displays from Barry Douglas I see he was subbed after 15 minutes v Barnsley last weekend, unsure how serious the injury is :duno:

I doubt we'd acquire much cash for Roberts, Forshaw & Douglas whom are all injury prone players.

Wouldn't concern me if all three left Leeds in time as they are not Premier League standard imo!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am Over the decades of attending football matches the travel fare & match ticket has been the major expense, latterly I've saved a fair bit being a concession on both counts.

I try minimise food/drink expenses to £20 on away trips as I always take a pack-up with me too, prepared by Mrs 64 of course!

Difficult to ascertain how much I've saved, lets say my bank account is considerably richer :-D
What does Mrs64 put in your sandwiches?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Championship sides would be falling over themselves to sign someone with Hernandez's talent.

We could probably secure a 3m fee.

He's the kind of player who would make a difference to a team
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

To be honest, a mega injury crisis aside, I don't see the need for additions in Jan..

Meslier
Ayling/Dallas
Dallas/Alioski/Davis
Koch/Llorente
Cooper/Davis/Struijk
Phillips/Koch/Llorente/Dallas/Struijk
Klich/Shackleton/Hernandez/Dallas/Forshaw
Rodrigo/Hernandez/Dallas
Raphinha/Costa/Poveda/Hernandez/Harrison/Alioski
Harrison/Costa/Alioski
Bamford/Rodrigo/Roberts

Best side on paper

Meslier
Ayling
Alioski
Koch
Llorente
Phillips
Klich
Raphinha
Harrison
Hernandez
Rodrigo

?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:33 am Hi Moth,

Though we loaned Douglas out.
Ah, still though, sounds like that's the precursor to selling - they can get their fitness back up and put themselves in the shop window. Most players want to be playing, not stuck on the bench all their careers and I don't think Roberts or Forshaw would be any different if we loaned them out too.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am What does Mrs64 put in your sandwiches?
Cheese
Egg
Salmon
Tuna

Also fruit, yogurt & dunkers in my food box :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 am Championship sides would be falling over themselves to sign someone with Hernandez's talent.

We could probably secure a 3m fee.

He's the kind of player who would make a difference to a team
Still think Pablo can play a part for us this season
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:44 am Cheese
Egg
Salmon
Tuna

All in the same sandwich?

Ouch.

I'm saving a couple of thousand dollars by not attending a game this year.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:14 pm All in the same sandwich?

Ouch.

I'm saving a couple of thousand dollars by not attending a game this year.
You did attend a game this year
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:44 am Cheese
Egg
Salmon
Tuna

Jill spoils you!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

John in Louisiana wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:14 pm All in the same sandwich?
Even a food addict like me would find that unacceptable John
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:42 pm Jill spoils you!
Aye she certainly does Swannie

I married a wonderful lady 23 ago :love: