Riqui Puig

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
BobHirst
First Team
First Team

Riqui Puig

Post by BobHirst »

This one sounds intriguing.

Leeds United have been identified by Barcelona as the ideal suitor to take youngster Riqui Puig on loan, according to reports.

SPORT in Spain have reported that the Spanish giants see a loan deal with Marcelo Bielsa is the best option for the development of their young prospect who is struggling for minutes at The Nou Camp.

Puig has been subject to plenty of interest with Monaco, Spurs, Arsenal, RB Leipzig and Napoli among those linked. However, spending the rest of the season at Elland Road seems to be the preferred destination for Barcelona and Ronald Koeman, but Puig’s preference seems to be focused on earning more minutes at Barca.

Despite the fact that Puig’s contract expires in the summer, EuroSport report that there is little to no chance that Puig will leave the club with sources saying that the 21-year-old could sign a new deal soon.

Leeds have been on the hunt for a central midfielder since the summer transfer window, with a deal for now-Marseille man Michael Cuisance breaking down in the final moments earlier this year. If The Whites will target anyone this January, it will probably be a centre-mid and Puig could fit the bill perfectly.

A creative midfielder with good defensive effort and output, whose energetic, intelligent and athletic. Puig could be an exciting addition for the rest of the season, grabbing two assists last season from five-and-a-half games worth of minutes while scoring two and assisting three for Barcelona B.

Barca fans are huge fans of Puig and have been demanding that he gets more minutes under Ronald Koeman, but even after some impressive cameos this season and last.

This rumour is certainly worth keeping an eye on as the window opens in just a month’s time.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Riqui Puig

Post by faaip »

Who does he replace?
Honey dipped flim flam
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Fridge »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:18 pm Who does he replace?
Would play in central midfield alongside Klich I would imagine.

I much prefer Rodrigo in that role.
We are Premier League
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Puig maybe good but we'd only have him for a couple of months as he's likely to sign a new deal with Barca. Rodrigo's best position is forward though so maybe we play Puig as the 10 and Rodders off the bench..
Honey dipped flim flam
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Concur Faaip... It is obvious (to me anyway) that Barca are trying to use MB's genius with players.. sorry I hope this does not happen, lets get someone if we have to in the Jan window, so MB can work his magic.
Side before self & MOT
BobHirst
First Team
First Team

Post by BobHirst »

Smudge3920 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:47 pm Concur Faaip... It is obvious (to me anyway) that Barca are trying to use MB's genius with players.. sorry I hope this does not happen, lets get someone if we have to in the Jan window, so MB can work his magic.
But if he's that good wouldn't both Leeds and Barcelona benefit from it?
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

BobHirst wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:15 pm But if he's that good wouldn't both Leeds and Barcelona benefit from it?
Lets say he comes...and stays the season ...we have what 30 games left ...5-10 to get him upto speed 25 games... then returns to Barca... time wasted IMO... not even guarenteed he will fit may take most of the season ...lets just get our own signing is all I am saying... the decision wont be made on here

ps and we will be playing Barca in the not to distant future ...
Side before self & MOT
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

If they guarantee 18 months minimum it'd be worth it...He'd come in case Klich got injured I guess or to play the ten for which we spent 27 million to fill.
Honey dipped flim flam
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

faaip wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:29 pm If they guarantee 18 months minimum it'd be worth it...He'd come in case Klich got injured I guess or to play the ten for which we spent 27 million to fill.
18 months to 2 years I could live with... but short term for this season ... definate no from me
Side before self & MOT
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Is he any relation to Pepper Puig?
billysboots
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by billysboots »

Wouldn’t say no to another quality midfielder, we still have a relatively small squad and who knows what injuries are round the corner.
There Is Only One United.
Allrounder
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Allrounder »

I watched Barca v Juventus for 5 minutes or so and what I saw of Puig it would be amazing if we can get him on a loan. Looked pure class.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 am Is he any relation to Pepper Puig?
:rol:
Mick Jones shoulder
First Team
First Team

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

If he is better than we have you would take him on loan, no room for sentiment in football.
White Riot
Manager
Manager

Post by White Riot »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 am Is he any relation to Pepper Puig?
If we buy him all our players can shout Riccckkkkkeeyyyy !!!!