Spurs v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Spurs v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 2nd January 12:30pm | Tottenham Hotspur Stadium | BT Sport

Two of the most exuberant Managers come face to face this weekend when Jose Mourinho's Spurs entertain Marcelo Bielsa's Leeds. It will be a contrast of styles. Bielsa has been criticised in recent weeks for not being pragmatic and if Jose Mourinho is anything, it's pragmatic. His team bristling with attacking options but his playbook from the Stone Age. Spurs are certainly a more daunting prospect that West Brom or Burnley, but their last win came five games ago and Leeds will certainly fancy their chances against a team who sit back. Truth is though, with nine points already in the back over the last four games, if we get anything against Spurs it will be a bonus. Leeds will need a lucky break if they are to return from North London with three points. It has been three long years (9th Dec at QPR) since they last won in London, plus the chosen one has won all four of his previous meetings with Marcelo Bielsa

With Gareth Bale and Giovani Lo Celso sidelined through injury, and Lucas Moura and Carlos Vinicius major doubts, it could come down to a straight choice between Steven Bergwijn and Erik Lamela for the final place alongside Harry Kane and Son. Leeds midfielder Mateusz Klich will be assessed after sustaining a thigh injury during the 5-0 win at West Brom. Jamie Shackleton deputised against the Baggies and could be set to make his first Premier League start. Diego Llorente and Liam Cooper remain sidelined with Marcelo Bielsa expected to select the same defence that started against West Brom.

The sides have met three times in the FA Cup since Leeds were last in the Premier League. In 2010 Leeds earned a draw at White Hart Lane before Spurs won the replay 3-1 at Elland Road. The last times the sides met was in 2013 when Neil Warnock's Leeds sent Tottenham crashing out of the FA Cup with a famous fourth-round victory at Elland Road. Luke Varney ran clear to give the Championship side an early lead as Tottenham failed to convert a series of first-half chances. Ross McCormack made it 2-0 after more poor defending allowed him to turn inside Steve Caulker and slam home. Clint Dempsey headed home to give Spurs hope but substitute Jon Obika could not convert his chance to level late on.

Tottenham are unbeaten on the last four occasions that they have hosted Leeds (W3, D1). However, Leeds won 2-1 in the most recent encounter, an FA Cup fourth-round tie at Elland Road in January 2013. The teams have not met in the league since 2003-04, a season in which Spurs did the double over Leeds. Tottenham have gone four league matches without a win (D2, L2) - a fifth would be their longest such run under Jose Mourinho. Spurs could fail to score in successive Premier League home fixtures for the first time since 2015. Leeds are aiming for a third consecutive league victory, as well as a third clean sheet in a row. They have won four away games this season, one more than in their entire last Premier League campaign in 2003-04.

Leeds Starting XI
Meslier, Dallas, Ayling, Struijk, Alioski, Phillips, Raphinha, Rodrigo, Klich, Harrison, Bamford

Subs: Casilla, Jenkins, Casey, Huggins, Creswell, Shackleton, Costa, Hernandez, Poveda
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by Smudge3920 »

We are riding high... Spurs have won 1 in the last 5 and they have to go back to 6 december for that... we have won 3 of our last 4 since 16 December...Confident of my prediction of a win... :scarfe2:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Hope you're right Smudge. I think we're going to have to take a beating on this one and come back strong over the next couple. At least we've established our lads never stay down for long - a testament to the winning mentality Bielsa has instilled in them.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I'm hoping to hear 'the best team lost' from Jose's lips after the match.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Not feeling overly confident about this one, I was hoping Spurs would have played on Weds. I feel they will be more rested and we may well struggle to contain Kane and Son. My heart says a Leeds win, but the head says a comfortable win for Spurs. I will be happy with somewhere in-between.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Kane & Son will give us fits.

But fingers crossed...

Our defence will certainly have benefited from the rest it got in the last fixture.

I’d love to see Mourinho get fired and for him to not work in England again.

He used to be funny but now might as well apply for the lead role in Mrs Browns Boys, if it ever comes up for grabs.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Overman wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:55 am Not feeling overly confident about this one, I was hoping Spurs would have played on Weds. I feel they will be more rested and we may well struggle to contain Kane and Son. My heart says a Leeds win, but the head says a comfortable win for Spurs. I will be happy with somewhere in-between.
Yeah, Spurs not playing midweek could be a key factor especially as they are at home as well.
I'm just hoping we give a good account of ourselves, a point would be great, three points would be incredible.
Son and Kane are a real threat obviously. Playing Phillips between Ayling and Struijk again might not be a bad idea.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I hate Spurs. Only since Jose Arrogante took over though.

But away to London = heartache and pain for Leeds.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:29 am I hate Spurs. Only since Jose Arrogante took over though
A very valid reason Ian

Imagine how Jose will react should Leeds beat them or even nick a point.

Certainly wouldn't be like the grace of Marcelo!
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I actually think we'll go down there and get a win.

We must break this London hoodoo sometime? And why not at the start of a new year :)

I watched All Leeds TV's pre-match chat with a couple of Yids, just to get the opposition's perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETF0uQNHZY

It's clear to see that Mourinho divides opinions at Spurs. His philosophy seems to be all about the moment, i'e. pragmatism and results overcome any vision or long term plan. Consequently, you have a squad peppered with attractive exciting players who are forced to sit back and hope that Kane and Son can score on the break.

So on the one hand some Spurs fans will put up with the bus being parked if it gets them results and trophies in the short term, it's quite similar to them having to accept George Graham as mananger. On the other extreme, and the one I'd support, most Spurs fans are used to watching attacking and incisive footy and would prefer a long term plan. He's already discarded Dele Alli and seems to be afraid to come out and play footy against even Palace and the cellar dwellers. So unless he wins something or gets them into the CL next season he could be on his way.

The other thing with Mourinho is that he's likely to bring in short term solutions i.e. Gareth Bale, similar to Scum with Cavani, that won't be good for Spurs long-term development.

So it's the polar opposite of Bielsa developing what we have and bringing young players through to help us develop as a club and have our own identity/style of play, sprinkled with quality like Rodders and Rapha

Spurs are heavily reliant on Kane and Son, who were getting more and more knackered and have tailed off lately. Bad news for us is that they had an extra few days rest due to Fulham postponing the match the other night.

We didn't look tired at all against a very poor WBA, so I expect Bielsa will pick the same team and we'll be up and at em.

We've had two good wins this season at Villa and Everton against top half teams, but a win here would really make a statement that we're ready to challenge the top teams and would also bury that London hoodoo.

Let's continue our rich vein of form :strong:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Bamford is better than Kane, another footballer I can't stand to watch from a purely aesthetic viewpoint..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:00 pm Bamford is better than Kane, another footballer I can't stand to watch from a purely aesthetic viewpoint..
You're right, Kane is so slow he's like a cart-horse and one of the reasons I never watch England. Son, however, is awesome and playing out of his skin this season :clap:
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Kane and Son will give us fits.

Bamford, Raphinha, and Rodrigo will give them fits.

They have to be favored (maybe even heavily), but I like our chances.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm I actually think we'll go down there and get a win.

We must break this London hoodoo sometime? And why not at the start of a new year :)

I watched All Leeds TV's pre-match chat with a couple of Yids, just to get the opposition's perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETF0uQNHZY

It's clear to see that Mourinho divides opinions at Spurs. His philosophy seems to be all about the moment, i'e. pragmatism and results overcome any vision or long term plan. Consequently, you have a squad peppered with attractive exciting players who are forced to sit back and hope that Kane and Son can score on the break.

So on the one hand some Spurs fans will put up with the bus being parked if it gets them results and trophies in the short term, it's quite similar to them having to accept George Graham as mananger. On the other extreme, and the one I'd support, most Spurs fans are used to watching attacking and incisive footy and would prefer a long term plan. He's already discarded Dele Alli and seems to be afraid to come out and play footy against even Palace and the cellar dwellers. So unless he wins something or gets them into the CL next season he could be on his way.

The other thing with Mourinho is that he's likely to bring in short term solutions i.e. Gareth Bale, similar to Scum with Cavani, that won't be good for Spurs long-term development.

So it's the polar opposite of Bielsa developing what we have and bringing young players through to help us develop as a club and have our own identity/style of play, sprinkled with quality like Rodders and Rapha

Spurs are heavily reliant on Kane and Son, who were getting more and more knackered and have tailed off lately. Bad news for us is that they had an extra few days rest due to Fulham postponing the match the other night.

We didn't look tired at all against a very poor WBA, so I expect Bielsa will pick the same team and we'll be up and at em.

We've had two good wins this season at Villa and Everton against top half teams, but a win here would really make a statement that we're ready to challenge the top teams and would also bury that London hoodoo.

Let's continue our rich vein of form :strong:
We had to accept George Graham as our manager too before he defected to Spurs, and I remember us grinding out a series of mind numbing defensive 0-0 draws. It was a huge relief when O'Leary came in and started using young players and adopting a swashbuckling style of football. I still think he did a great job as manager.
hector

Post by hector »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:30 pm We had to accept George Graham as our manager too before he defected to Spurs, and I remember us grinding out a series of mind numbing defensive 0-0 draws. It was a huge relief when O'Leary came in and started using young players and adopting a swashbuckling style of football. I still think he did a great job as manager.
I agree with that....
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:30 pm We had to accept George Graham as our manager too before he defected to Spurs, and I remember us grinding out a series of mind numbing defensive 0-0 draws. It was a huge relief when O'Leary came in and started using young players and adopting a swashbuckling style of football. I still think he did a great job as manager.
Yeah, I used to get stick off a few w**kers at work everyday about George Graham. There was a real positive progression with DOL but that all ended up in tears when we over-stretched ourselves financially, courtesy of Ridsdale and co.

I think the club is run much more professionally now, it shows both on and off the pitch.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

BowyerWoodgategate killed off O'Leary imo, lost the dressing room
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:55 pm BowyerWoodgategate killed off O'Leary imo, lost the dressing room
Yes... Leeds United on Trial.

And changing the style of play.

And burning fortunes making the team worse.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ailioski deservedly got Motm on Tuesday, though I suspect he will have a tad more defending to do tomorrow.

Any news on Klich?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:55 pm BowyerWoodgategate killed off O'Leary imo, lost the dressing room
Yeah, that was the start of the rot setting in for me.

Didn't seem to bother Bowyer at the time, but Woodgate looked suicidal.

They were very lucky lads not to do time for that.