National Crisis

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

National Crisis

Complete Lockdown
74%
Continue with the Tier systems
No votes
Other
26%

Total votes: 23

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

News Article National Crisis

Post by 1964white »

Bearing in mind the covid infection rate is at it's highest level (worse than March/April 2020)

Our hospitals are full to capacity particularly in London/South East

Head Teachers/teachers pleading for the schools to be shut for the fear of children passing on the virus to them & their families

100,000's of people not adhering to the Tier rules
hector

Re: National Crisis

Post by hector »

Lockdown, including schools, and whilst that is in progress, vaccinate as many of the vulnerable as possible,
once that has been done, start easing off, untill the next most vulnerable have been jabbed,
then let the selfish barstewards do what they want ( as they try to anyhoo)
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I feel a selective lockdown is now the only real option to get on top of the spread. The problem was they left the most densely populated area of England in tier 2 for far too long. Prior to Christmas the streets of London were heaving with shoppers and they even started allowing fans back into football stadiums, fast forward 14 days and the infection rate started to rise significantly and is now out of control with the NHS overwhelmed ,there’s even talk of shipping patients up to Yorkshire. The government were trying to keep the economy going at all costs ( we all know everything revolves around London, North / South divide etc) and it’s backfired massively. Leeds and most of West Yorkshire has been in tier 3 for a long time and according to figures the infection rate is reasonably steady therefore it was working. My answer would be all tier 4 areas be placed in total lockdown and all tier 3 carry on the good work pending regular review.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I was reading a report yesterday from a leading doctor, who says the next 7-10 days are critical, they are anticipating the number of positive cases and hospital admissions to go through the roof. With that in mind I think the schools should close for the rest of this week, keep tiers in place and reassess over the weekend, see if the prediction is correct.
It's certainly a fine balancing act of keeping the infection rate down and the country/economy going.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

One month national lockdown.
Use that time to go full bore with vaccinations.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Good question.

I’m certainly on the anti lockdown wing, because I think any efforts to contain a virus like this are futile, without a vaccine.

However, the current tiered system simply doesn’t work. A lockdown with schools open isn’t a lockdown, and instead they’re imposing pointless restrictions on people’s jobs and leisure activities... and achieving nothing.

Right now, we are expected to believe that it is too dangerous to visit a family member for a cuppa & a biscuit, but that it is safe to send your child to school with 1000 households, mixing in the same place.

Now... both of those things cannot possibly be true, at the same time.

The rules have always lacked consistency, things that are banned were safer than some things that we were encouraged to do... it isn’t any wonder that people have taken the decision to take the law into their own hands to have small gatherings, or outright flout - by attending BLM or Tommy Robinson protests, or whatever else.

With Parliament not sitting properly, and protesting being illegal, I think the decision taken by teaching unions to intervene is welcome. Regardless of the motives - safety or just a political stunt.

In the absence of there being any chance of restrictions being eased, I’d reluctantly go to full lockdown. Everything shut apart from genuinely essential businesses.

So food, builders merchants and the like.

For a month.

Can’t believe I’m saying this. Feel a traitor to my libertarian principles!
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

The first lockdown worked because people really stuck to it.

Second lockdown was too soft so didn’t do much apart from delay things.

Third lockdown sadly needs to happen and needs to be as serious as the first, in my opinion. The death rate for this current wave is reported as higher than the first wave.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Not going to vote as I am in the colonies... but talking to my daughter who lives in the UK I fear for her and my son in law and grandchildren...

Untill they mean what they say nothing is going to change anywhere... here in the colonies they say we are in lockdown, yet schools are still open...and guess what...we have 7mp's now making public apologies (not resigning) for going abroad (via private planes) for the chrimbo holidays...I ferkin despair!
Fridge
First Team
First Team

Post by Fridge »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 amwe have 7mp's now making public apologies (not resigning) for going abroad (via private planes) for the chrimbo holidays...I ferkin despair!
One rule for them and another for us!! Has always been that way.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 am Not going to vote as I am in the colonies... but talking to my daughter who lives in the UK I fear for her and my son in law and grandchildren...

Untill they mean what they say nothing is going to change anywhere... here in the colonies they say we are in lockdown, yet schools are still open...and guess what...we have 7mp's now making public apologies (not resigning) for going abroad (via private planes) for the chrimbo holidays...I ferkin despair!
I read a news article about a Canadian politician who went on a luxury holiday (it started before the lockdown evidently), but he continued to tweet giving the impression that he was in fact back in Canada.

Then he comes out with his fake apology claiming that he meant no wrong. And he expects people to believe him.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

How does your Tier system work? Can people travel from one Tier to another?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 am I read a news article about a Canadian politician who went on a luxury holiday (it started before the lockdown evidently), but he continued to tweet giving the impression that he was in fact back in Canada.

Then he comes out with his fake apology claiming that he meant no wrong. And he expects people to believe him.
Oh the politico's here in Canada are very good at that mate... doesn't take a pandemic for the "self entitled" to ignore the rules they set.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 am How does your Tier system work? Can people travel from one Tier to another?
Yes and No mate ... literally thats how confusing it is here... It is not a tier system per say... it is left to the individual provinces, and you can tell which party is in power in each province from how they deal with it ...sadly my province Alberta is Conservative, it is out of control and no leadership whatsover.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Smudge3920 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:03 am Yes and No mate ... literally thats how confusing it is here... It is not a tier system per say... it is left to the individual provinces, and you can tell which party is in power in each province from how they deal with it ...sadly my province Alberta is Conservative, it is out of control and no leadership whatsover.
We have States with State governments here as well. And they are quick to act if there are issues in another State. Closing borders and/or requiring quarantining.

Generally they have worked well together and with the Federal government, and we have dealt with the pandemic well. There have been mistakes and glitches but overall our governments have done a good job. One of the key steps - I believe - was wrong restrictions on international travel. Admittedly easier for an island state that is some distance from anywhere else and that has comparatively a small population, but the governments do deserve some credit, and some criticism in particular instances as well.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

HarryofOz wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:09 am We have States with State governments here as well. And they are quick to act if there are issues in another State. Closing borders and/or requiring quarantining.

Generally they have worked well together and with the Federal government, and we have dealt with the pandemic well. There have been mistakes and glitches but overall our governments have done a good job. One of the key steps - I believe - was wrong restrictions on international travel. Admittedly easier for an island state that is some distance from anywhere else and that has comparatively a small population, but the governments do deserve some credit, and some criticism in particular instances as well.
I wish you good fortune mate, thats what should have happened here in Canada all inter province (essential services not withstanding) travel should have been stopped...the FEDS could have made that happen, but played "the trump formula" saying it was upto provincial leaders to make the decision...then blame them when it goes tits up.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Listening to a nurse on Good Morning Britain convinced & confirmed my view that we need to go into a full lockdown, not half-measured restrictions many of our society can't or refuse to comprehend.

I really feel for our NHS & all their dedicated staff whom are under immense pressure

Listening to this wonderful man may make the doubters change their views somewhat.

This is not scaremongering, it's for real!

1964white

Post by 1964white »

I wonder if Dave will keep his job if Boris & Hancock listen to his interview

Wouldn't surprised me if our appalling tory government instruct the NHS to get shot of him....for what? someone with honesty & integrity whom stands up to these bunch of buffoons!

That lot are out in the next elections imo!
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

A national crisis or a plandemic of international proportions.

Has anybody else questioned why governments all over the world use the same wording and the same lockdown restrictions to control a virus. Are they actually using a new strain of flu to control wealth and the hands it circulates between?

If one has underlying health issues then one should isolate away from the herd until herd immunity is reached and it is then safe to rejoin the rest of society.

Rather than using the xmas hols to impose a 2 week martial law to end the spread of a virus it's now blame shoppers as an excuse to extend restrictions on public movement, whilst the fabulously rich aim to increase their control over future power and wealth.

I apologise to those I upset, but I too get upset when I can't attend the funeral of a friend nor visit an elderly naighbour that passes away in hospital. I'm still haunted by the last sight of her 2 weeks before she passed and still the bs continues on a daily basis. Tomorrow it'll be more covid anouncements at work and a 2 meter rule endlessly broken.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Broad Ford wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:31 pm A national crisis or a plandemic of international proportions.

Has anybody else questioned why governments all over the world use the same wording and the same lockdown restrictions to control a virus. Are they actually using a new strain of flu to control wealth and the hands it circulates between?

If one has underlying health issues then one should isolate away from the herd until herd immunity is reached and it is then safe to rejoin the rest of society.

Rather than using the xmas hols to impose a 2 week martial law to end the spread of a virus it's now blame shoppers as an excuse to extend restrictions on public movement, whilst the fabulously rich aim to increase their control over future power and wealth.

I apologise to those I upset, but I too get upset when I can't attend the funeral of a friend nor visit an elderly naighbour that passes away in hospital. I'm still haunted by the last sight of her 2 weeks before she passed and still the bs continues on a daily basis. Tomorrow it'll be more covid anouncements at work and a 2 meter rule endlessly broken.
I don’t blame you for holding that opinion, indeed I have some sympathy for it.

They have been successful in turning people against each other, to the point where lock down sceptics are deemed happy to kill their grandparents.

Parliament isn’t sitting. There is no political opposition to what Boris is doing. Protesting is illegal.

I’m 100% sorry for any death. Caused by anything. But when does it stop?

I’m in the group of people who are least likely to be affected badly. I don’t need to be locked down. I want to work, earn a living, and I’m prepared to obey common sense restrictions if it means I can do those things.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Looks like lockdown again, announced at 8pm today

All England into Tier 4, schools closed and non-professional team sport cancelled.