Your First and Best Gigs

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Music Your First and Best Gigs

Post by White Riot »

1. When, who, and where was the first music gig you attended?
2. How did you rate the experience?
3. Any stories involved?
4. When, who, and where was the best gig you attended?
5. Who would you most like to see but haven't, or can't because they've passed away.

1. The Specials at Carlisle Market Hall, autumn 1979, supported by The Selecter, and Dexy's Midnight Runners.
2. Fantastic experience for 17 year old me. It was only 3 quid for the ticket. Each group was really brilliant and the whole gig was full of energy. I was in love with Pauline Black :love:
3. No trouble there, though we were frisked for knives on the way in. Plenty of skinheads about, whereas we were more of the rude boy persuasion, and there were still quite a lot of punks there too. A Message to Rudy went to number one on that same day. The taxi ride back was 25 miles long and I remember singing the taxi driver's name all the way home "One Jackie Mason! There's Only One Jackie Mason!". Needless to say he hated us :lol:
4. Really difficult, but I would say Prince at Wembley Arena in 1988 on the Lovesexy tour. Never saw anyone else as talented or committed to putting on a brilliant show as that guy. An incredible experience. Shame he's gone.
5. Torn between The Beatles, the Doors, The Clash, and Queen. Maybe The Beatles as I grew up during Beatlemania.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Your First and Best Gigs

Post by 1964white »

1971 - Free + Amazing Blondel at the Winter Gardens whilst on holiday in Bournemouth

Brilliant band, a truly wonderful experience

3. Any stories involved?

As a family we were walking down the promenade when I freaked at the sight of a poster advertising Free in concert, they were due to play the following evening so we immediately dashed down to the Winter Gardens box office in anticipation of purchasing a ticket, to my surprise there were still some st left which made a 16yo teenager very happy :-D

So difficult as I saw 100's of concert in Leeds during the 70's

Wishbone Ash (numerous times) Supertramp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath & The Sensational Alex Harvey Band at the Leeds Town Hall were great. Santana (loudest band) Genesis, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music & 10cc at Leeds Uni were brilliant too. Also followed two local bands Wally & Bebop Deluxe around the pub/small venue circuit in Leeds, Harrogate, Wakefield & Bradford with fond memories.
Oh The Who x 2 at the Uni, unsure where the other venue was.

Great times!

5. Who would you most like to see but haven't, or can't because they've passed away.

Rolling Stones, David Bowie & Radiohead probably my three all-time favourite artists

Set my heart on seeing The Delines on their next tour hopefully at the end of this year
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1. Reading 2004 for the Sunday.
2. I only wanted to go for Green Day, because I had been obsessed with them for 3 years prior and always liked the line ups in previous years. The atmosphere was incredible and one of my favourite gigs, even if I don't really care about them anymore.
3. Not really, hard to enjoy a festival as much went you're not old enough to drink or camping. :lol:
4. Arcade Fire Reading 2010. Chilling, it felt like an out of body experience and I had to sit down afterwards to recover. I still get goosebumps watching it back.
5. Fugazi, Sonic Youth still alive, Beastie Boys, Big Star, The Byrds, The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Van Halen from the deceased.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 pm 1. Reading 2004 for the Sunday.
2. I only wanted to go for Green Day, because I had been obsessed with them for 3 years prior and always liked the line ups in previous years.
3. Not really, hard to enjoy a festival as much went you're not old enough to drink or camping. :lol:
4. Arcade Fire Reading 2010. Chilling, it felt like an out of body experience and I had to sit down afterwards to recover. I still get goosebumps watching it back
5. Fugazi, Sonic Youth still alive, Beastie Boys, Big Star, The Byrds, The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed, Van Halen from the deceased.
I bet you did SG, always seem excellent from the clips I've seen on YouTube

Couldn't believe what I was hearing on my first play of 'Funeral', played it continuously for months.

'Funeral' & 'Neon Bible' are still crackers 8-)

I was playing a Big Star album only last week
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm ]1. When, who, and where was the first music gig you attended?[/b]

1971 - Free + Amazing Blondel at the Winter Gardens whilst on holiday in Bournemouth

Brilliant band, a truly wonderful experience

3. Any stories involved?

As a family we were walking down the promenade when I freaked at the sight of a poster advertising Free in concert, they were due to play the following evening so we immediately dashed down to the Winter Gardens box office in anticipation of purchasing a ticket, to my surprise there were still some st left which made a 16yo teenager very happy :-D

So difficult as I saw 100's of concert in Leeds during the 70's

Wishbone Ash (numerous times) Supertramp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath & The Sensational Alex Harvey Band at the Leeds Town Hall were great. Santana (loudest band) Genesis, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music & 10cc at Leeds Uni were brilliant too. Also followed two local bands Wally & Bebop Deluxe around the pub/small venue circuit in Leeds, Harrogate, Wakefield & Bradford with fond memories.

Great times!

Rolling Stones & David Bowie.

Set my heart on seeing The Delines on their next tour hopefully at the end of this year
Lucky you 64 :)

I saw Paul Rodgers singing for Queen around 2004 at the MEN Arena in Manchester, great vocalist and showman and the gig was fab.

Growing up in Cumbria before the days of the internet it was really hard to get tickets and travel to gigs, Newcastle City Hall was great and I saw The Cure there a number of times, always loved Robert Smith.

I was lucky enough to see The Rolling Stones at Hampden in 1990 and they were fantastic. It was right after England were knocked out of the World Cup by Germany and I was still in mourning. I'd been wearing my England shirt for a month every day before that, but didn't dare to wear it in Glasgow :love:

I like a drink but dear me the Jocks are on another level. I remember we were stood by a Rangers fan on the terraces covered in King Billy tattoos. One of his young mates had collapsed, probably due to way too much booze, and was just laid out unconscious on the floor. I said "Hey mate, your pals in a bad way there do you wanna see if we can get him a first-aider?"

He said "Nah, don't you worry pal he's always like that, me and the lads will pick him up and carry him home once the gig's finished."

All seemed very normal to him :shock:

Prior to the gig me and my mate had picked up 8 cans a piece at an off license and were fairly merry. At the same offy the Jocks were coming out with 24 cans and a bottle of whisky each, FFS :sick:

I remember the support was Gun who had a big hit with a cover of Word Up 8-)

Brilliant night and a wonderful singalong show :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

- Saxon, Wheels Of Steel tour, 1979.

- They were totally naff, really.

3. Any stories involved?
- No, I was 13, taken and collected with friends by parents, so we were naff too.

- King Crimson, a couple of years ago in Nottingham. Calexico, 2003, Feast Of Wire tour, Birmingham. Richmond Fontaine, 2007, Bedford Esquires. Classical would be The Sixteen, with James Bowman, doing Bach's Mass in B Minor in Lincoln Cathedral a few years back.

- Neil Young
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 pm 1. Reading 2004 for the Sunday.
2. I only wanted to go for Green Day, because I had been obsessed with them for 3 years prior and always liked the line ups in previous years. The atmosphere was incredible and one of my favourite gigs, even if I don't really care about them anymore.
4. Arcade Fire Reading 2010. Chilling, it felt like an out of body experience and I had to sit down afterwards to recover. I still get goosebumps watching it back.
Green Day are a great group SG, with some brill toons.

I was at Reading in 1989, we drove down and camped and got non-stop pissed. Had my first joint then I think.

New Order were headlining on Friday, and they were great, but I was annihilated. I was so drunk that I needed a piss and let it go just where we were standing, but didn't realize I was pissing all over some poor hippy fella that was sat down in front of us until my mate told me he was there. "Sorry mate, dyu wanna pint?"

Billy Bragg and the Buzzcocks were on Saturday pm and both brilliant, but we just went round the pubs in Reading on Saturday night and got wasted. Sunday was The Mission but we left early to start the 400 mile journey home. Slept all the way back :sleep:

Great experience, too much booze though :poorly:
hector

Post by hector »

1979, Knebworth week 2

As a 17 year old, going there on my own, it was a wonderous day....

3. Any stories involved?

Me and mates used to get the train to Leeds from Harrogate most saturday nights and go to the Hofbrauhouse there, and got to know a few civilian guys there, who we got on with.
Got to Knebworthm and was bimbling around during the day, and I bumped into one of them, he was there on his own too, made life a bit easier.

Not been to any to top it, even though it was not Zeps best gig ever
next best would be Page and Plant in the NEC in 1995

Would love to have seen ACDC with Bon Scott
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm 1. When, who, and where was the first music gig you attended?
- Saxon, Wheels Of Steel tour, 1979.

- They were totally naff, really.

3. Any stories involved?
- No, I was 13, taken and collected with friends by parents, so we were naff too.

- King Crimson, a couple of years ago in Nottingham. Calexico, 2003, Feast Of Wire tour, Birmingham. Richmond Fontaine, 2007, Bedford Esquires. Classical would be The Sixteen, with James Bowman, doing Bach's Mass in B Minor in Lincoln Cathedral a few years back.

- Neil Young
I was not into metal when I was young Sara, but I actually love it now that I'm less narrow minded musically, i.e. Avenged Sevenfold, HIM and Maiden. A mate of mine at college was into Purple, Sabbath, MSG and all of that and tried to convert me, as I was trying to convert him to The Bunnymen and The Cure. Needless to say neither of us made a successful conversion.

That would be cool listening to classical music in a cathedral :tup:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:24 pm Green Day are a great group SG, with some brill toons.

I was at Reading in 1989, we drove down and camped and got non-stop pissed. Had my first joint then I think.

New Order were headlining on Friday, and they were great, but I was annihilated. I was so drunk that I needed a piss and let it go just where we were standing, but didn't realize I was pissing all over some poor hippy fella that was sat down in front of us until my mate told me he was there. "Sorry mate, dyu wanna pint?"

Billy Bragg and the Buzzcocks were on Saturday pm and both brilliant, but we just went round the pubs in Reading on Saturday night and got wasted. Sunday was The Mission but we left early to start the 400 mile journey home. Slept all the way back :sleep:

Great experience, too much booze though :poorly:
Wow, jealous!
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm 5. Who would you most like to see but haven't, or can't because they've passed away.
- Neil Young
Saw him once and he was God awful. :cry: Really hope I get to see him again if gigs ever come back, as I'd hate that to be my only experience of him.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:36 pm Saw him once and he was God awful. :cry: Really hope I get to see him again if gigs ever come back, as I'd hate that to be my only experience of him.
I saw Garry Moore at the Sands Centre in Carlisle, maybe 20 years ago?

He was absolutely terrible, seemed drunk/stoned and only played his Gibson on a few tracks, I was so disappointed, just went next door into the bar and got pissed as it wasn't worth watching. I think he only lasted 45 minutes.

RIP Garry.

Also, went to see Level 42 there just to humour my ex-Mrs, bored out of my fooking skull after 15 seconds and just traipsed to the bar and never came back. Not my cup of tea that stuff. Fair play if you're into bass solos, etc, :sleep:
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

Princes Nude Tour 1990 at the NEC Birmingham
Fantastic apart from My Mrs going into labour 3 miles from home !
3. Any stories involved?
See above
Prince again in London 1998, on the front row, god he was tiny
I never got to see Queen live, would have loved to see them but freddie passed before I got the chance
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:33 pmWow, jealous!
We went back down the next year mainly just to see The Buzzcocks and Voice of the Beehive, camp out and get wasted.

I know RHCP were on that year but that stuff ain't for me so we never bothered with them.

Probably missed tons of great groups in 89 and 90 at Reading.

Just remembered The Pixies were on Saturday night in 89, but we decided to go round the pubs. We had a brilliant night and I wasn't really into the Pixies then, but I'd snap your hand off to see them now - the innocence of youth :roll:
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Currie14 »

- Saxon at Bradford St Georges Hall.

- Amazed (Only young) & Deaf.

3. Any stories involved?
- Nearly ran over by a bus outside cos I wasn't paying attention and couldn't hear it coming.

- Either Embrace secret gig at Knebworth or the Embrace secret gig at Holmfirth after half the audience dressed up in army gear (inc us) and were chased round the town by hundreds of zombies! An amazing day.

- Queen with Freddie
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1. The Who at Leeds Uni Refectory Feb 1970. When the "Live at Leeds" album was recorded 'reputedly'.
2. I still don't think that the album was fully recorded at Leeds. Daltrey, Townshend and Moon were pissed out of their heads. and constantly getting words wrong, hitting bum notes etc. The record sounds much more clean than what I remember. The packed out 2K auditorium was an experience for a 16 year old, which I would return to again and again in later years.
3. I got home stinking of smoke and spilled beer, as did the girl that I took to the concert, and she ditched me not long after.
4. The Charisma 50p tour again at the Leeds Uni Refectory - 1972 I think - Genesis, Supertramp and Man. I had never heard Genesis before that night, but they were unbelievable. Supertramp were also excellent. Both bands became firm favourites from that night on.
5. David Bowie. I had tickets to see him at the Leeds Ice rink on the Ziggy tour in 1972, which was cancelled due to illness. I couldn't make the rearranged concert, and I never had the chance to see him again. Also was planning to see Lynyrd Skynyrd on their 1977 UK tour, but they, inconveniently, got killed in an air crash.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

When I was nine or ten (1974/75) my brother and his girlfriend took me to see the Glitter Band (minus Gary Glitter before anyone says anything) at the Ipswich Gaumont. I loved it.
I went to many concerts at the Gaumont in the early 80's including UB40, Level 42, Kid Creole & the Coconuts, OMD and many others.

Probably the best concert I ever went to was Prince at Wembley Arena in 1990, the night England lost to West Germany in the World Cup semi final.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Velotrax wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:46 pm 1. When, who, and where was the first music gig you attended?

Princes Nude Tour 1990 at the NEC Birmingham
Fantastic apart from My Mrs going into labour 3 miles from home !
3. Any stories involved?
See above
Prince again in London 1998, on the front row, god he was tiny
I never got to see Queen live, would have loved to see them but freddie passed before I got the chance
Hey Velo,

I'm sure I was at the same Prince gig at the NEC :)
If I remember correctly he played Batdance dressed as the Joker in the encore? He also played Nothing Compares to You, way better than Skinhead O'Connor ever could.

Brilliant gig, but just not as good as the Lovesexy tour in 88.
The Mrs maybe got too excited at the sight of Prince 😂
I was devastated that he died so young, wonderful fella.
Me and my older sister absolutely loved Queen, and she had the first two albums on cassette. I bought the rest, but stopped after The Game.
They would tour the UK annually in the 70s, but it was only small venues in those days.
She was nursing in Newcastle at the time and each year we tried to get tickets for the City Hall but failed.
My mate saw them at Knebworth, but I missed the chance to go with him, how stupid.
Also turned down the chance to go to Live Aid, as it coincided with our town's carnival.
I saw them with Paul Rodgers, and it was great, but not the same without Freddie.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

SaraM wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm 5. Who would you most like to see but haven't, or can't because they've passed away.
- Neil Young
Just had to check the RIP thread to make sure that he hadn't died. <Doh>. I have nominated his latest in the 2019 album thread - well worth a listen. He is still touring, so you might catch him yet.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:33 pm I was not into metal when I was young Sara, but I actually love it now that I'm less narrow minded musically, i.e. Avenged Sevenfold, HIM and Maiden. A mate of mine at college was into Purple, Sabbath, MSG and all of that and tried to convert me, as I was trying to convert him to The Bunnymen and The Cure. Needless to say neither of us made a successful conversion.

That would be cool listening to classical music in a cathedral :tup:
I was into guitar music generally, so also went to punk and classic rock gigs. There just seemed to be more of a metal scene at the time, which my friends were into. Also used to see a lot of the revival prog bands, like Marillion and Solstice. The Cure in '86 was one of the best gigs I've been to... also saw Pink Floyd the same year.

The natural reverb in Lincoln Cathedral is incredible with a proper choir. James Bowman's voice was sublime; I'd never heard a countertenor before, but I'm a big fan now. Bloody freezing in winter though.