Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread - Casilla starts in net as Meslier missing for Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread - Casilla starts in net as Meslier missing for Leeds

Post by Ellandback1 »

Saturday 16th January 15:00pm | Elland Road

Brighton are the visitors to Elland Road this Saturday for a traditional yet rare 3pm kick off. Many of the older generation (you know who you are) will recall that once upon a time almost all games would kick off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon. I'd be flicking over every sixty seconds from Ceefax to Teletext to see the latest score. The game also marks the first time Ben White will face Leeds since his return to Brighton. White was a key part of Leeds United's promotion push, at the heart of the defence alongside Liam Cooper.

Leeds will be without star midfielder Kalvin Phillips who serves a one match ban for reaching 5 yellow cards. Pascal Struijk is set to deputise. Diego Llorente has been declared fit by Marcelo Bielsa but is not yet ready to pick up his first start for the club since joining from Real Sociedad in the Summer. All rounder Luke Ayling will partner fit again skipper Liam Cooper at the heart of Leeds defence. Tyler Roberts is available again for the visit of Brighton but Robin Koch and Adam Forshaw remain on the treatment table. The big news is that Illan Meslier is also missing for Leeds, the rumours are this is Covid related buy we await confirmation from the club. Bielsa stauchly defended Kiko Kiko Casilla during the pre-match press conference and it is the Spaniard who will start between the sticks.

Brighton will be without Aaron Connolly, Danny Welbeck, Florin Andone, Jose Izquierdo and Tariq Lamptey who are all ruled out with injuries. Adam Lallana and Steven Alzate are ruled out with illness. It's touch and go whether former Leeds favourite Ben White will play against his former (loanee) club? He withdrew from Brighton's FA Cup clash with Newport County on Sunday evening with a thigh problem. It would be nice to put more distance between the two clubs, especially after the Brighton hierarchy refused to sell either White or Lamptey to Leeds in the Summer as they didn't want to sell to a club they saw was equal to them.

Leeds United have lost seven of their past nine league matches against Brighton. However, they did win the most recent league fixture, in the Championship in March 2017. This is the first top-flight meeting since Leeds won at Elland Road in May 1982. Leeds have never lost at home against Brighton in the top flight, winning two games and drawing one. Leeds could win three consecutive Premier League home games for the first time since 2001 under David O'Leary. An eighth win of the season would equal Leeds' total number of victories from their last top-flight season in 2003-04. A seventh Premier League clean sheet for Illan Meslier would equal the record in a season for a goalkeeper before his 21st birthday, set by Joe Hart in 2007-08.

Brighton are winless in nine Premier League games, the longest current run in the division (D5, L4). The club's top-flight record is 10 matches without a victory. Their past four league wins have all come in away matches, most recently at Aston Villa on 21 November. The Seagulls have 14 points after 18 games. They had at least 20 points after 19 fixtures in their three previous Premier League campaigns. Neal Maupay has scored in three of his four league appearances against Leeds, all for Brentford in the Championship.

Leeds Starting XI
Casilla, Alioski, Ayling, Cooper, Dallas, Struijk, Klich, Harrison, Rodrigo, Raphinah, Bamford

Subs: Caprile, Jenkins, Davis, Llorente, Shackleton, Costa, Roberts, Hernandez, Poveda
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Leeds Utd v Brighton Match Thread

Post by 1964white »

Reasons to be cheerful

Brighton have a horrendous injury list
Lamptey unavailable, he is a dangerous player who loves to run at defences.
Connolly is a cheating diving git so his absence is a plus.
Citeh will batter the seagulls tonight.
Brighton third long trip in a week after their exertions to Wales & Manchester
Cooper & Llorente fit again.
Hopefully Meslier, Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Bamford, Harrison, Rodrigo, & Raphinha all fit & raring to start.
We won't miss Roberts.
No love-in betwwen Kalvin & Ben, so no partying in the Leeds camp.

Come on Leeds :scar1
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

We'll be fine in this. The lads will play like they've got something to prove after that embarrassment on Sunday. 3-0 or 4-1 victory. It will be ruthless.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

A great chance to put the catastrophic cup tie behind us and bounce back in style. Brighton are very beatable and I feel MB will be hurting from last weeks fiasco and fire the team up to make amends. A fluent display with a few goals scored and non conceded would be the best way to prove Crawley hasn’t affected our season plus taking points off a team below us as we continue to keep the gap between us and the bottom 3
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Aaah, Ceefax and Teletext....those were the days.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 am Aaah, Ceefax and Teletext....those were the days.
Bamboozle 😁
Velotrax
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Velotrax »

As long as we play our usual game, I can't see anything but a win
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 am Aaah, Ceefax and Teletext....those were the days.
I'm not the only one then

post-13239-0-34729800-1475249830.jpg

What about clubcall - 089812-11-80 OMG, how do I remember that!!!!!
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:06 pm I'm not the only one then

post-13239-0-34729800-1475249830.jpg

What about clubcall - 089812-11-80 OMG, how do I remember that!!!!!
Yes clubcall! I'd forgotten all about that. The 80's were such simple times.
TatleyK
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by TatleyK »

I seem to remember it cost a fortune to phone Clubcall, but I still did😀 (I wasn’t paying the bill at the time). 😀
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

TatleyK wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm I seem to remember it cost a fortune to phone Clubcall, but I still did😀 (I wasn’t paying the bill at the time). 😀
Ditto, they used to say be very careful to dial the right number.....

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

TatleyK wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm I seem to remember it cost a fortune to phone Clubcall, but I still did😀 (I wasn’t paying the bill at the time). 😀
Ditto, they used to say be very careful to dial the right number.....

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:
Scoobychief
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Scoobychief »

would much rather have had Ben white at our club to llorente though. Brighton were just not going to sell him to us as there manager puts it were are the competition. we should not under estimate Brighton on Saturday or it could turn sour
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 am Bamboozle 😁
I used to love Bamboozle....Battleship
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Good time to play them, we have Phillips missing but otherwise are fairly well rested. They have fixture congestion and will be their third game in 7 days.
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Get ready for an aerial bombardment when they have set pieces. Dunk, Webster and especially Burn are big units.
Very important we don't give away needless free kicks and corners.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

The loss against Crawley was one battle in the campaign... I think it is settled that the decisions made in regards to this game were the problem not the actual team...I cannot see MB making any more like it, indeed he will along with the rest of the squad want to silence any prolonged referals to the Crawley game...I am confident that Saturday will be nothing but a solid, well disciplined controlled annihalation of Brighton... MOT.
Side before self & MOT
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

"Well disciplined controlled annihilation of Brighton"....Love it Smudge
WestgateRun
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by WestgateRun »

Another vital six-pointer, where a win would be a big step towards safety.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:16 pm Get ready for an aerial bombardment when they have set pieces. Dunk, Webster and especially Burn are big units.
Very important we don't give away needless free kicks and corners.
How often do we concede needless set-pieces?

We gave three corners away in the first few minutes at Crawley :(