The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th January) Does Rodrigo offer enough to justify his place and his price tag

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th January) Does Rodrigo offer enough to justify his place and his price tag

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 13th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Does Rodrigo offer enough to justify both his place and his price tag

Spanish International forward Rodrigo was probably the surprise signing not just from the Summer, but possibly from the last decade. The versatile number 9 who turns 30 in March has netted three times for the Whites, in 17 appearances. Reliable stats account 'Whoscored' give Rodrigo an average rating of 6.62. The only players below him are:

Alioski 6.61
Struijk 6.59
Costa 6.46
Hernandez 6.32
Shackleton 6.27
Poveda 6.23
Roberts 6.09
Leif 6.02

Eleven players all rank well above the former Valencia player :

Bamford 7.15
Phillips 7.06
Cooper 7.01
Harrison 6.97
Ayling 6.96
Dallas 6.89
Llorente 6.89
Meslier 6.84
Raphinha 6.83
Klich 6.76
Koch 6.65

As we approach the half way point of the season, does anyone have any regrets over our record signing? In hindsight would you have bought one of the Brentford three? Ollie Watlikns has hit the ground running with Villa. The 25 yo has netted five times, three assists, but more importantly has a rating of 7.28.

Things have not gone so well for Benrahma. The 26m signing has two assists to his name, and only three starts this season. Unsurprisingly, he has a rating of just 6.41 for the Hammers! In hindsight, would you have still bought Rodrigo? Will things get better for him? If a club offered 25m for him, would you accept it?

Wigan youngster on Leeds shopping listg

Sun Sports journalist Alan Nixon is claiming that Leeds have had a second bid turned down for Superkid Sean McGurk. The Wigan attacker, who is out of contract in the Summer has a host of admirers, both up and down the Country, hence the Lancashire club is looking for more money. Leeds originally bid for the youngster in the Summer, just after signing team mate Joe Gelhardt. Unfortunately, the offer was turned town. It is understood that the Whites have upped their offer, but it is still rated too low by officials and the club administrators. Steven Gerrard knows McGurk from his time at the Liverpool academy when the Rangers boss was in charge and the player was a young hopeful.

CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th January) Does Rodrigo offer enough to justify his place and his price tag

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Right now I would have more regrets over Costa's signing - with Orta signings there is almost a pecking order of which have been the most calamitous, and until we have seen more of him Rodrigo is nowhere near the top yet.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 13th January) Does Rodrigo offer enough to justify his place and his price tag

Post by mothbanquet »

Half a season into a high-pressure role in an extremely complex and demanding system that is known to improve players over time - all without a pre season?

Yes, I think he's doing just fine. As Chapel said, there are players that have been here longer who are less useful than he's been so far. That Llorente is on that list shows the lack of context of it.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am Moring EB et all

Right now I would have more regrets over Costa's signing - with Orta signings there is almost a pecking order of which have been the most calamitous, and until we have seen more of him Rodrigo is nowhere near the top yet.
Agree Costa has been the biggest waste of money, Big Rod came here as a number 9 and we are playing as a number 10 (which IMO he's perfect for) so not only does he need time to adjust to that position, he needs to adjust to Bielsa Ball and the Prem so for me he's doing well and you can see some of his touches are just absolute class.

Sean McGurk never heard of him but do our U23s need anyone else now they have gelled they are smashing it out of the park.
Last edited by Ratscoot on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Moring Folks,

Rod was pricey, and we will be lucky to get much for him when it is time to move on. We bought Rod as a 9 and he would have played there if shock horror Bamford hadn't scored against Liverpool.... He is now adapting into a 10 at the same time as the rest of the side is adapting to having a new winger in Raphinha, an unsettled defence which is affecting our deep lying playmaker and not muchcoming from Pablo.

And we have still scored 30 goals in the league

Re Costa, I am still patient, conceding that Og at Palace and having a better player take his place has been a big challenge for him.

Another youth prospect may be fine though the tag "wonderkid".... does it derive from we "wonder if they will be any good". how many have we signed this last few years who went on to do nothing first team wise?
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Rodrigo is doing okay in the no 10 role but as I said on Sunday, I'm not convinced he's an adequate replacement for Bamford as a 9.
I think I'm going to contact VO and tell him to go and have a look at Lucas Joao at Reading....17 goals already thus season and he missed 5 games with injury.
Finnatic
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Finnatic »

Due to the price tag, I feel we are accommodating him to the detriment of the team atm.
I quite like him, but sometimes feel he doesn’t give enough over a full game, also prefer Klich in that area (he seems to play deeper and less effective when Rodrigo plays).

In some of the drubbings, the midfield looks skilful but lightweight and I’m sure Rodrigo played in most of those - not sure if that’s his fault (it’s mainly cos we give the ball away in transition) but I can’t quite explain it, there are pros and cons when he plays.

He looks good when he comes on as a sub but won’t be happy doing that long term.
Prefer Bamford as the 9 - I wasn’t impressed with Rodrigo first half v Crawley when he finally got to play there.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am Agree Costa has been the biggest waste of money, Big Rod came here as a number 9 and we are playing as a number 10 (which IMO he's perfect for) so not only does he need time to adjust to that position, he needs to adjust to Bielsa Ball and the Prem so for me he's doing well and you can see some of his touches are just absolute class.

Sean McGurk never heard of him but do our U23s need anyone else now they have gelled they are smashing it out of the park.
The way Rod retains the ball and builds the play, even when under pressure as we've seen many times so far this season, isn't reflected in stats and ratings. He's been doing things that no midfielder - except maybe Pablo at his absolute best - can do, all as part of his normal game. Costa's got the ability for lower mid-table Prem and upper Championship but Raphinha is a clear step up.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Finnatic wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am Due to the price tag, I feel we are accommodating him to the detriment of the team atm.
I quite like him, but sometimes feel he doesn’t give enough over a full game, also prefer Klich in that area (he seems to play deeper and less effective when Rodrigo plays).

In some of the drubbings, the midfield looks skilful but lightweight and I’m sure Rodrigo played in most of those - not sure if that’s his fault (it’s mainly cos we give the ball away in transition) but I can’t quite explain it, there are pros and cons when he plays.

He looks good when he comes on as a sub but won’t be happy doing that long term.
Prefer Bamford as the 9 - I wasn’t impressed with Rodrigo first half v Crawley when he finally got to play there.
I said this at the time but I don't really see what more Rodrigo could've done on Sunday, his service was nonexistent, not even balls played up for him to hold up. Paddy's got the experience now to put himself about and make himself more useful but there are games when even he just doesn't have anything to feed on. It's a thankless task really.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rodrigo needs more time before we can make a judgement on his value to LUFC, he is still settling in at ER & is certainly an upgrade signing to our squad.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:30 am Right now I would have more regrets over Costa's signing - with Orta signings there is almost a pecking order of which have been the most calamitous, and until we have seen more of him Rodrigo is nowhere near the top yet.
I think we had to go over the top to get Costa to play in the Championship. When you see the influence he had with Wolves, it would be a no brainer.

Perhaps we will do the same. Loan to buy with a top Championship side...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:03 am Agree Costa has been the biggest waste of money, Big Rod came here as a number 9 and we are playing as a number 10 (which IMO he's perfect for) so not only does he need time to adjust to that position, he needs to adjust to Bielsa Ball and the Prem so for me he's doing well and you can see some of his touches are just absolute class.

We got Ray Wallace aw well as part of the agreement. Rodders didn't want to go anywhere without his brother who lets just say wasn't good!!!!
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Oooops, we're talking about Rodrigo aren't we.

Sssshhhhh, don't tell anyone....
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Had a good chuckle at those Who's Scored stats...very Terry Pratchett, comedy and fantasy at the same time
Honey dipped flim flam
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:02 am I think we had to go over the top to get Costa to play in the Championship. When you see the influence he had with Wolves, it would be a no brainer.

Perhaps we will do the same. Loan to buy with a top Championship side...
That's the way I see it. He was required then but it appears we're outgrowing him at a faster rate than anticipated - unless we're overachieving, which is a possibility.

Then again, he's scored a couple already and we can't really go throwing away valuable cover. Won't be going anywhere till we get someone at RW who will start over Raph, which shows you how long a ways we've got to go yet.
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:06 am Oooops, we're talking about Rodrigo aren't we.

Sssshhhhh, don't tell anyone....
Whilst we're on the subject, Rod Wallace was a terrific player - we could do with him nowadays ;

Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:25 pm Whilst we're on the subject, Rod Wallace was a teriffic player - we could do with him nowadays ;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQn8QWabUM
Wallace and Speed. Amazing.....
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Paid well over the odds for Costa and also Rodrigo (given his age).

Rodders doing more than enough to justify his position atm, though not as an out and out striker when given the chance.

Really wish we would get rid of orta as he has really brought some crap into the club
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

Rod Wallace and Lee Chapman were such an unlikely pairing but boy did it work. Halcyon days.
mothbanquet
First Team
First Team

Post by mothbanquet »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:36 pm Rod Wallace and Lee Chapman were such an unlikely pairing but boy did it work. Halcyon days.
Chappers would've ripped this league apart.