Leeds Formations summary...so far

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Leeds Formations summary...so far

Post by Smudge3920 »

My prefered formation for this squad has always been 4-4-1-1... Would like to see it played more.
F1.jpg
F1.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 289 times
F2.jpg
F2.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 289 times
F3.jpg
F3.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 289 times
F4.jpg
F4.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Attachments
s1.jpg
Side before self & MOT
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Leeds Formations summary...so far

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

I'm not quite sure where they get some of those formations from - for example Klich as a no 10 and Roberts playing up front with Bamford as two up front - has that ever happened ?

My understanding is that Bielsa starts with a 4-4-1-1 but when in possession it quickly changes to a 3-3-3-1 with the two wing backs moving into midfield, the 2 CBs moving wider to cover them, and the CDM plugging the gap in the middle in a triangle. That way the keeper, the two CBs and the CDM can move the ball around in a diamond whilst building from the back. If the opposition starts with two up front then Bielsa uses 3 CBs so as to have an extra man.

4-4-1-1 as shown on there seems to indicate Rodrigo as a kind of false no 9, though I'm not 100% clear about the exact distinction between the role of a no 10 and a false no 9. Maybe theoretically a no 10 plays a little bit deeper.Or maybe the distinction is whether it's really a no 9 ( such as Rodrigo ) playing behind the C/F as opposed to a midfielder such as Hernandez ?

I think the 3 at the back does make us fragile defensively. Problem is that the wing backs are often caught high up the field, and anyway Alioski is a weak link defensively. I think it works on the whole against championship sides with less pace, and maybe against lesser PL sides, but it leaves far too much space for top class players to run into when we lose possession.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

I prefer us to start with 10 outfield players.
If I go insane will you still let me join in with the game?
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Post by Chilli D »

The top formation is the strongest one but with Llorente for Cooper and Dallas for Alioski
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

We've never played that third one, Alio and Dallas don't sit that narrow and when you realise that you see the amount of ground Klich has to cover with Phillips in a back 3

We've never played the bottom one either. Roberts plays as the AMF in that situation..
Honey dipped flim flam
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

SaraM wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am I prefer us to start with 10 outfield players.
Good catch ..
Honey dipped flim flam
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

SaraM wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:57 am I prefer us to start with 10 outfield players.
Ha ha well spotted Sara...
Side before self & MOT
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Whoops....