Footballers astronomical wages

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Footballers astronomical wages

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Seeing that copy of Casilla's contract set me thinking about how daft the money is in football. I then found this chart which puts it all in perspective somewhat...
Attachments
Ave-wk-wage-since-61.jpg
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Footballers astronomical wages

Post by Fridge »

Wages are mad but football brings in a ridiculous amount of money so they deserve a good cut.

Begs the question why fans have to pay so much for Sky and tickets for games though
We are Premier League
Velotrax
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Velotrax »

I'm pretty sure the leap in wages happened around the time of Sky starting the Monday night matches they were showing, remember many a good night having a beer or three down the local around that time
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Sadly as long as fans keep paying the astronomical prices they will keep charging it and salaries will keep rising...I cannot accept any sportsman is worth 50K and upwards a week.
Side before self & MOT
Overman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Overman »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:21 pm Sadly as long as fans keep paying the astronomical prices they will keep charging it and salaries will keep rising...I cannot accept any sportsman is worth 50K and upwards a week.
Indeed, at the end of the day it's a 'sport'. Yes it accrues a lot of money, but there is a level of obscenity to it all.
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

Entertainers in all fields of entertainment earn vast amounts where the fans/customers etc are prepared to pay a fortune to be entertained.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:36 am Entertainers in all fields of entertainment earn vast amounts where the fans/customers etc are prepared to pay a fortune to be entertained.
Very true H...definately a no win discussion... after all football is basicly entertainment...
Side before self & MOT
WestgateRun
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by WestgateRun »

The Premier League is an industry that generates billions of pounds.
Surely the players and managers, who create the content for this industry, deserve a slice of that?
No different to any other entertainment industry: films, TV, music.
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:21 pm Sadly as long as fans keep paying the astronomical prices they will keep charging it and salaries will keep rising...I cannot accept any sportsman is worth 50K and upwards a week.
I agree Smudge.
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Overman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:10 am Indeed, at the end of the day it's a 'sport'. Yes it accrues a lot of money, but there is a level of obscenity to it all.
Very true Overman - reconciling big money and the concept of sport is hard to do.