Where will we get the five wins we need?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Where will we get the five wins we need?

Post by Boo Radley »

In spite of yesterday’s loss we are still sitting in a very good position in the league. If more results go our way today we could still be in twelfth with games in hand on teams around and below us at the end of the day.

Considering that staying in this league is the primary aim of the season, and 38 points plus should be enough to achieve that, where do people think we will get those 5 wins to make us safe?

Quality of performances and form seems to be varying wildly for many teams this year, and we’re seeing improvements in the teams behind us. So, are there games we should be targeting, are there must win games yet, and will away games give us a better chance of points considering the state of the ER surface?
Irish Ian

Re: Where will we get the five wins we need?

Post by Irish Ian »

We could beat anybody in this league when it clicks.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

Boo Radley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:46 pm In spite of yesterday’s loss we are still sitting in a very good position in the league. If more results go our way today we could still be in twelfth with games in hand on teams around and below us at the end of the day.

Considering that staying in this league is the primary aim of the season, and 38 points plus should be enough to achieve that, where do people think we will get those 5 wins to make us safe?

Quality of performances and form seems to be varying wildly for many teams this year, and we’re seeing improvements in the teams behind us. So, are there games we should be targeting, are there must win games yet, and will away games give us a better chance of points considering the state of the ER surface?
off topic but just started reading to kill a mockingbird and now get your user name! :lol:
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

danhirons wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:04 pm off topic but just started reading to kill a mockingbird and now get your user name! :lol:
:) It’s a fabulous book danhirons, one of my all time favorites - enjoy! :tup:
LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 pm We could beat anybody in this league when it clicks.
Trouble is we can be beaten by anyone as well because of our in consistency. We have had a decent run against teams lower than us but some of them are finding their feet. We should have turned Brighton over. I would hate to be bookie right now and peg odds for us.
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

LUFC_BOS wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm Trouble is we can be beaten by anyone as well because of our in consistency. We have had a decent run against teams lower than us but some of them are finding their feet. We should have turned Brighton over. I would hate to be bookie right now and peg odds for us.
Thats very true, we will blow hot and cold all season, but we are close to survival.

And the statos are on our side.... unless there is a yet to be coded algorithm for "doing a Leeds"

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... er-league/

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

LUFC_BOS
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by LUFC_BOS »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:47 pm Thats very true, we will blow hot and cold all season, but we are close to survival.

And the statos are on our side.... unless there is a yet to be coded algorithm for "doing a Leeds"

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... er-league/
Please Ian do not tempt the stats 😆! Leeds first team top of the Championship at Xmas not to promote, largest defecit loss in the FA cup to a lower division team etc. Just keep our fingers crossed for this season.
What the hell we might just beat Liverpool, Scum, Chelski, Spurs and the Arse for our 5 wins. So unpredictable with us , not good for the heart Leeds😬
Lorimer46
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @dsc67

Post by Lorimer46 »

I certainly expect us to get the results we need to consolidate our position in the the league this season , never really expected us to be a top 8 team this year . There's teams that we're far better than and we should be able to beat
If life throws you lemons, make Lemonade
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

LUFC_BOS wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm Trouble is we can be beaten by anyone as well because of our in consistency. We have had a decent run against teams lower than us but some of them are finding their feet. We should have turned Brighton over. I would hate to be bookie right now and peg odds for us.
:roflmao: :roflmao:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Can't see us winning many games at ER :(
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

1964white wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:15 pm Can't see us winning many games at ER :(
That’s no small issue 64. It potentially halves our “good” chances of collecting the points we need during the poor weather in particular.
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:59 pm We could beat anybody in this league when it clicks.
Half way through the season, I really don’t think we can say that anymore.

If we play a team with a solid defence and a quick, high scoring counterattack then they will beat us every time. Leicester, Spurs, Man U and Crystal Palace have already proven this. We are not able to beat that kind of team this season. We may end up with a Liverpool type scoreline but we simply do not score enough, or defend well enough to win a shoot out.

Luckily, very few Premier League teams set up just to pack the box, as they are another type of team we usually don’t beat. And that has been the case for years.

For me, many of the mid table teams offer us key points opportunities. Some, like Wolves, Arsenal and Newcastle, still believe that they are better than where they are in the table and come out to play, but not at a level that we couldn’t manage. We need to focus on these games for the wins to drive us over the line. Anything gained from the top teams is cream.
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Anyone else think it might be a blessing in disguise to come 17th?

That way it makes it more evident where the future signings/ breakthroughs need to be made.

Mid table and we may be stuck with contract extensions on some who really have hit their peak.

It just pushes the issues into next season.

SaraM
Manager
Manager

Post by SaraM »

You could rephrase the question, and ask how Fulham in 18th are going to turn around an 11 point deficit against Leeds. That's what it would take, currently, for us to end up in the bottom three. Unless you assume we're 'falling apart again', it isn't going to happen.
Staring at the seashell
Waiting for it to embrace me
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:52 pm Anyone else think it might be a blessing in disguise to come 17th?

That way it makes it more evident where the future signings/ breakthroughs need to be made.

Mid table and we may be stuck with contract extensions on some who really have hit their peak.

That would be way too scary Irish Ian! Our fan base would have a collective nervous breakdown if that was likely to happen.

You are correct though about assuming the current squad could survive if we managed a top ten position. Sheffield United are the warning of this type of success leading to longer term calamity.

Finish around where we are would do me fine and leave enough of question marks about the make up of the team for next season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:52 pm Anyone else think it might be a blessing in disguise to come 17th?

Good points Ian :tup:
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

SaraM wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:56 pm You could rephrase the question, and ask how Fulham in 18th are going to turn around an 11 point deficit against Leeds. That's what it would take, currently, for us to end up in the bottom three. Unless you assume we're 'falling apart again', it isn't going to happen.
I suppose the answer to that conundrum is 48 years supporting Leeds....

But I make a wider point.

Clacton White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clacton White »

And that's the problem , when it works it's great , but goes wrong and it goes wrong big time . Probably 5 players of genuine top flight quality at the club , some average and some probably championship level . The depth most definitely isn't there it's a makeshift defence right now , at least two top quality signings needed right now and a couple in summer to make sure of progress . Probably 3 to 5 years off a genuine top 6 challenge right now .
Irish Ian

Post by Irish Ian »

Clacton White wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:36 pm And that's the problem , when it works it's great , but goes wrong and it goes wrong big time . Probably 5 players of genuine top flight quality at the club , some average and some probably championship level . The depth most definitely isn't there it's a makeshift defence right now , at least two top quality signings needed right now and a couple in summer to make sure of progress . Probably 3 to 5 years off a genuine top 6 challenge right now .
Extremely doubtful anyone will come in this window Clacton, remember we spent £97m and sold noone. Plus extra wages and bonuses for the players. And then the JKA scenario..
Then the money needed for the stadium.

Point is we haven't any money and have borrowed against future TV cash already.

Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

The difference between finishing 12th and 17th last year was £20M. To us that’s a big difference when we have such an investment requirement at the end of this year.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-re ... ize-money/