The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th January) - Brighton exacerbate Leeds United's January blues

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th January) - Brighton exacerbate Leeds United's January blues

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 18th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Brighton exacerbate Leeds United's January blues

Played 3, lost three, goals against 7, goals for 0. That's the grim reality of 2021; small mercies that Leeds midweek fixture against high flying Southampton has been postponed, and have time to regroup before their trip to St James Park Tuesday week.

Firstly lets analyse Saturdays game. I think it would be fair to say that Brighton looked both sharper, and hungrier. This should not have been the case having battled to the death against Manchester City just a few days before with a depleted squad which included five regulars being ruled out. Bearing this in mind, Leeds should have been all over the Seagulls, pushing, jostling and bullying their South Coast opponents into submission. Instead, we saw a Leeds side devoid of ideas, rudderless and playing like someone had slipped ketamine into their water bottles.

Can we blame the pitch? Up to an extent we can. What is the point of playing the way we do, when our home pitch benefits our opposition more than it does us? The difference between winning and losing in this league is so small, that any slight disadvantage could turn a game on its head. There is no way that Leeds fast moving, attractive style of play was going to work on the boggy marsh, that was Elland Road on Saturday. In his post match interview Bielsa was asked whether the pitch played an important role in the result. Polite as ever, the Argentine refused to answer,as it would sound like an excuse.

This was the Seagulls first win since November, and has moved them within six points of Leeds.

Post match reaction

Leeds Manager - Marcelo Bielsa

Brighton boss - Graham Potter

[/YouTube]
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th January) Karen Carney curse kicks in

Post by Richard »

Morning all..

It isn’t the result I’m concerned about, it’s the performances. Yes the last two seasons we’d have the odd 45minutes of shoddy looking football, I’m struggling to think of too many 90 minutes worth but here now we’re talking 270 minutes of consecutive rubbish.

We usually lament missed chances, the penalties not given, the woodwork denying us and opposition keepers having blinders, now it’s 270 minutes of poor quality and we’ve thoroughly deserved to lose each of them. I’ve struggled to pick out anyone who’s even had an above average score in those three games.

We can’t really blame the defence as it’s not that we’re losing 4-3, it’s three blank games up front. Bielsa needs to halt this run, he needs to work out why Klich has been so out of sorts, he needs to stop playing Alioski at LB things need to urgently change or we’ll be dragged into an unpleasant scrap.

We’re Leeds fans, we always need to blame something but NO it’s not the pitches fault. Most of our players had extra time off, Brighton had a tough game against City, Brighton had 5 key players missing, if anything a heavy pitched should have made it harder for Brighton fitness wise.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th January) - Brighton exacerbate Leeds United's January blues

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

10 of the players who featured on Saturday also played in the away loss to QPR two years ago. 9 started the game.

Continuity or calamity?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 18th January) - Brighton exacerbate Leeds United's January blues

Post by WhiteRose »

Im not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater yet. Next match assuming llorente comes in we should be back to square pegs in square holes, barring injuries there is no reason not to, one of our 3 losses was to spurs who are much better than us, the other 2 have for all intents and purposes been without Phillip's given he was centre back for Crawley.

I would get hernandez back in and drop rodrigo as I'm not sure what he is doing and I think its contributing to klichs poor form. Ayling back on the right is essential, he might be a passable centre back but it costs us too much attacking wise having him there. Then put dallas on the left.

We will beat Newcastle and still have a game in hand over Palace and wolves.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Sorry but we have done this to death already...
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:20 am Im not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater yet. Next match assuming llorente comes in we should be back to square pegs in square holes, barring injuries there is no reason not to, one of our 3 losses was to spurs who are much better than us, the other 2 have for all intents and purposes been without Phillip's given he was centre back for Crawley.

I would get hernandez back in and drop rodrigo as I'm not sure what he is doing and I think its contributing to klichs poor form. Ayling back on the right is essential, he might be a passable centre back but it costs us too much attacking wise having him there. Then put dallas on the left.

We need Dallas and Ayling back as FBs, as we have lost our attacking mojo without them in those positions. Hernandez back as the no 10 as you mentioned. Maybe give Roberts a start at no 9, as Paddy is in a dip in form currrently,
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:10 am We need Dallas and Ayling back as FBs, as we have lost our attacking mojo without them in those positions. Hernandez back as the no 10 as you mentioned. Maybe give Roberts a start at no 9, as Paddy is in a dip in form currrently,
Agree totally Chapel on Dallas, Ayling & Pablo, always has been my stance. At least Hernandez will work his socks off as oppose to our lazy £27m signing. We are generally poor without Kalvin or Pablo, with neither in our starting XI we are a shambles!

Can't believe I'm saying this but after Spurs & Brighton there is a case for considering Roberts over Paddy
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

We have really missed Ayling at Right back. He has such an engine on him....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:31 am Agree totally Chapel on Dallas, Ayling & Pablo, always has been my stance. At least Hernandez will work his socks off as oppose to our lazy £27m signing. We are generally poor without Kalvin or Pablo, with neither in our starting XI we are a shambles!

Can't believe I'm saying this but after Spurs & Brighton there is a case for considering Roberts over Paddy
I think we need to be careful about Rodrigo. He has had Covid 19. There are many studies being done in its long term affects, especially regarding fatigue. Perhaps that is the case with him. He was blowing hard early on Saturday.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:38 pm I think we need to be careful about Rodrigo. He has had Covid 19. There are many studies being done in its long term affects, especially regarding fatigue. Perhaps that is the case with him. He was blowing hard early on Saturday.
Its taken a long time for Newcastle's Allan Saint-Maxim to get over it. He's only just back in training.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:41 pm Its taken a long time for Newcastle's Allan Saint-Maxim to get over it. He's only just back in training.
:tup:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

I didnt play the post match press conference. Was there any mention as to why Roberts was "unavailable"?
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:31 am Agree totally Chapel on Dallas, Ayling & Pablo, always has been my stance. At least Hernandez will work his socks off as oppose to our lazy £27m signing. We are generally poor without Kalvin or Pablo, with neither in our starting XI we are a shambles!

:tup:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cant believe some of us are getting so excited over a 30 minutes run out by Tyler Roberts.

Smacks of desperation
'
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:20 am Im not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater yet. Next match assuming llorente comes in we should be back to square pegs in square holes, barring injuries there is no reason not to, one of our 3 losses was to spurs who are much better than us, the other 2 have for all intents and purposes been without Phillip's given he was centre back for Crawley.

Good post WR, I agree with all of it.

Let's be realistic, we've just gone up to a higher level of competition for the first time in 16 years. We're still on a positive upwards trajectory.

We're still gonna have periods where our form dips, even when we've added the necessary quality player improvements that this squad needs. Even City and LFC have had, by their standards, dips in PL form this season coming off the back of an exceptional season for both of them.

If we can get Llorente in, and he and Cooper can settle and remain free of injuries and also relocate Ayling to RB and Dallas to LB we have as solid a back-line as we can muster at the moment. Koch, coming back may not happen until very late in the season, or next season, he should not be rushed back as he's got a serious and potentially career affecting injury.

Add to that we'll be slotting KP back into DCM, which provides solidity and a great outlet, along with Ayling at RB, to launch attacking movements. Klich is having to do way too much donkey work at the moment and it's affecting his performance, and by default the team's attacking capabilities.

With players like Rapha, and Rodrigo, I'll compare them to Harry Kewell, yes they have good technique and instincts, but in a battle, or when the team's struggling to create, they struggle too. The battle has to be won before those types of players are effective. The common thing I've always noticed with most foreign players is they don't like the physical stuff and you could see the other day with those two and Alioski rather than battling they'll go to ground, squeal a bit, and look to the ref, we need more than that in a battle.

That pitch of ours is an absolute disgrace and it's killing our style of play, in that we can't pass quickly, move and turn quickly, or even keep our feet. So it's slowing our passing game down and destroying our physical fitness advantage. Four out of our next six matches are away, so with the state of our pitch and no crowd at ER, I consider that to be an opportunity to play our brand of footy effectively and get some points on the board.

But with a settled back five, and the understanding and confidence that brings, along with a sprinkling of Pablo, Klich, Rapha and Jack's magic I'm sure we're gonna turn the page very soon.

Have faith y'all, and as Corporal Jones said "Don't panic".

MOT, Leeds, Leeds, Leeds :strong:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:52 am We have really missed Ayling at Right back. He has such an engine on him....
Dead right Matt :tup:

Ayling and KP provide defensive stability and both are brilliant outlets for starting our play and driving us forward. Get them two playing in their correct positions and Pablo also providing an outlet and pulling the strings and we'll be a threat again going forward ;-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 pm Cant believe some of us are getting so excited over a 30 minutes run out by Tyler Roberts.

Smacks of desperation
Does to me too Ian.

We have better creative players than Tyro, and unless Bamford is injured or gone cross-eyed, he starts every time over Roberts as striker. Get Paddy the service and he will score the goals we need. 8-)
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I agree about Ayling, Dallas, and Pablo, 64.

But for me the issue with Paddy is he's not getting the service, nobody's gonna score with the service we're providing him lately, yes we know he misses chances, but we have saw him score good goals at this level. Tyro never gets near that team for me if Paddy's fit and Pablo's available.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:27 pm I agree about Ayling, Dallas, and Pablo, 64.

But for me the issue with Paddy is he's not getting the service, nobody's gonna score with the service we're providing him lately, yes we know he misses chances, but we have saw him score good goals at this level. Tyro never gets near that team for me if Paddy's fit and Pablo's available.
Also we lose Paddy's defensive role when we have to defend corners.

With KP back v Newcastle, hopefully Marcelo will go with Llorente v Newcastle enabling him to play Ayling & Dallas as our wing-backs. Pablo in for Rodrigo with both Alioski & Struijk back on the bench where they belong & we may start winning matches again.