Buy & Sell...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Buy & Sell...

Post by Fridge »

MightyWhites wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:23 pm If we send them out on loan we'd probably struggle to fill the subs bench!
100% :tup:
In Bielsa we trust
andrewjohnsmith
First Team
First Team

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

MightyWhites wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:23 pm If we send them out on loan we'd probably struggle to fill the subs bench!
Point about that was just that they'd benefit from a loan move and 90 minutes every week. But, like you say, if we're not signing anyone we still need them around.
We've been through it all together. And we've had our ups and downs
Leeds1000
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Leeds1000 »

Buy....I can't see us buying anyone good in this window if i'm honest? Clubs don't want to let there best players go until the summer. Maybe we could enquire about some good loan players who are not getting a game at some tops clubs around europe and hope that Bielsa deems them fit enough. If Marcelo does not think Rodrigo is up to the job at 9 then we really do need to bring in some competition for that jersey.

Sell.... Who? :duno: It would be bad business to sell Costa for half the price we paid, and i'm guessing we may be lucky to scrape that for our 4th choice winger. I don't agree with scrapping the contracts of Forshaw and Berardi to save a few quid on wages, that seems a bit ruthless. :angel: In a ideal world i would send all the players mentioned above out on loan to get some proper football but i agree with MW we just haven't got the squad depth to cope without them.

What is apparent is the lack of really good defencive players at the minute. We have been unlucky with injuries to our 3 best CB, and i'm convinced having Koch, Llorente, & Cooper constantly available this season we would have won even more games.
Ron Swanson
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Ron Swanson »

Forshaw isn’t going to play for the club again. He’s been out injured for 18 months.

Work out a settlement rather than having someone on the staff kicking their heels.

And Berardi... when his deal expires, release him. He struggled at the top end of the championship. Giving him an extension after Covid was right, but once he’s fit I’d not retain him any longer.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

I'm going to disagree Berardi struggled at the top half of the championship ...strongly.. Every time he started he featured high in the MOTM vote. Leeds legend for me, never let us down. Quality central defender.
Honey dipped flim flam
hector

Post by hector »

Annotation 2021-01-20 151511.jpg
Annotation 2021-01-20 151511.jpg (1.65 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Id sell Roberts for anything above £4mil, an ok few minutes against Brighton aside the man has barely done anything for a year and has shown minimal improvement in his time here.

Yan Dhanda though isnt the answer.

I am really concerned we arent going to buy a cm though, we definitely need one and Bielsa has already publicly said he would like a signing or two.

It is Orta's job to provide suitable targets and the club claiming it takes time to get used to BielsaBall is nonsense, MB was an international manager, the right players will fit in straight away.

We desperately need a quality cm especially given half our games will be played on a pitch that hinders our limited largely Championship players and will heighten their deficiencies.

As for who else id sell, I'm not overly sentimental.

Id let Cooper go in the summer, he like many is out of his depth at EPL level and while he deserved his chance he must not be a 1st 11 player next season.

Id let Casilla go for obvious reasons and try to improve on Meslier who despite making some great saves i feel is probably a good few years to young to be a number 1 yet.

Id let Forshaw go, release him if possible he is done here and unfortunately probably at any decent level in the professional game.

Berardi, not a fan, deserved his contract but like Cooper will never be Prem standard plus his injury.

Harrison, another i wouldnt take into next season. Just dont rate him as this level, know some disagree but i cant remember a more infuriating player.

Roberts- As mentioned above.

Costa- we overpaid for him without question and should be looking to make as much back on him as possible.

Those for me should all be gone for next season and for us to progress we need to be ruthless.

Do think we seem like a sentimental club and its nice but to progress it has to stop.

The playing squad this season earned its chance largely through promotion but next season major surgery is needed.

4 or 5 first team ready signings and old stalwarts have to be sacrificed.
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Roberts is on a measly £3,500 a week - peanuts compared to most of the players. He has show flashes of real quality, and might still develop into a decent player. If he was sold now, we might not get too much for him whilst his stock is so low. Better to sell Costa - he is one of the highest earners - on nearly 10 times Robert's wage, and he would command a much higher transfer fee.
Boo Radley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Boo Radley »

The Athletic reported earlier in the month that Sergio Romero’s contract wouldn’t be renewed at the end of the season and was up for sale this month. I know that he is on ridiculous money at Manchester but at 33 and looking down the barrel of being without a club in the summer, he may be an option for us to look at. He is very experienced, he’s a good keeper and he’s Argentinian - might be worth a punt, as long as he took a wage cut.
White Riot
Manager
Manager

Post by White Riot »

All indications are that Roberts is staying :)

If VO was looking to sell or loan then why would he risk his fitness last week on the sinkhole?

I'll stand by what I've said earlier that we'll make no signings during this window.

Tyro didn't make an impression during two seasons of Championship football, under a coach whose turned average players into PL regulars.

At the moment we're short of cover, but when we recruit in the summer Tyro can leave in exchange of a packet of pork scratchings :pig:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:15 pm All indications are that Roberts is staying :)

If VO was looking to sell or loan then why would he risk his fitness last week on the sinkhole?

I'll stand by what I've said earlier that we'll make no signings during this window.

Tyro didn't make an impression during two seasons of Championship football, under a coach whose turned average players into PL regulars.

At the moment we're short of cover, but when we recruit in the summer Tyro can leave in exchange of a packet of pork scratchings :pig:
Kinnear has already stated he doubts we'll improve our squad this January.

Lets hope we patch up some of the glaring holes that exists in our squad during the summer.
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

Very quiet window

Arsenal - 1 loan
Crystal Palace- 1 loan
Manure - Diallo -£19m
West Brom 1 unattached 1 Undisclosed
Cum autem foeda erant amittimus sumus vincimus foeda
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:07 am Very quiet window

Arsenal - 1 loan
Crystal Palace- 1 loan
Manure - Diallo -£19m
Inevitable mate especially in this surreal year :tup:

Surprisingly lots of FL free & loan signings
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:10 am Inevitable mate especially in this surreal year :tup:

Surprisingly lots of FL free & loan signings
I don't think they'll be a late surge either.

I was reading, more an opinion than a report, nevertheless an interest piece on players wages in football and the impact they are having on clubs, and how chairmen and owners are slowly realising it can't go on,even the rich clubs, are now starting to take stock.
gessa
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by gessa »

gessa wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:07 am Very quiet window

Arsenal - 1 loan
Crystal Palace- 1 loan
Manure - Diallo -£19m
Wolves just made a loan signing too
MightyWhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MightyWhites »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:24 pm Id sell Roberts for anything above £4mil, an ok few minutes against Brighton aside the man has barely done anything for a year and has shown minimal improvement in his time here.

I am really concerned we arent going to buy a cm though, we definitely need one and Bielsa has already publicly said he would like a signing or two.

It is Orta's job to provide suitable targets and the club claiming it takes time to get used to BielsaBall is nonsense, MB was an international manager, the right players will fit in straight away.

We desperately need a quality cm especially given half our games will be played on a pitch that hinders our limited largely Championship players and will heighten their deficiencies.

Id let Cooper go in the summer, he like many is out of his depth at EPL level and while he deserved his chance he must not be a 1st 11 player next season.

Id let Casilla go for obvious reasons and try to improve on Meslier who despite making some great saves i feel is probably a good few years to young to be a number 1 yet.

Id let Forshaw go, release him if possible he is done here and unfortunately probably at any decent level in the professional game.

Berardi, not a fan, deserved his contract but like Cooper will never be Prem standard plus his injury.

Harrison, another i wouldnt take into next season. Just dont rate him as this level, know some disagree but i cant remember a more infuriating player.

Costa- we overpaid for him without question and should be looking to make as much back on him as possible.

Those for me should all be gone for next season and for us to progress we need to be ruthless.

Do think we seem like a sentimental club and its nice but to progress it has to stop.

The playing squad this season earned its chance largely through promotion but next season major surgery is needed.

I agree with all of that. Main aim is to stay up this season and then get rid of the above and have a good summer to improve on these players.
Ron Swanson
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Ron Swanson »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:24 pm Id sell Roberts for anything above £4mil, an ok few minutes against Brighton aside the man has barely done anything for a year and has shown minimal improvement in his time here.

I agree with some of that.

Harrison seems to find his shooting boots when games are already won, the sitter he missed at Old Trafford was easier to score, and he couldn’t hit the target against Brighton, the best chance we had.

I’d probably retain him though.

Costa could go, if we could recoup most of what we paid it would be a good deal.

Forshaw and Berardi wouldn’t figure in my medium term plans, and should be moved on.

No point keeping players that aren’t as good as the ones that are currently heading for a mid table finish, try and improve the squad.
Ron Swanson
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Ron Swanson »

faaip wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm I'm going to disagree Berardi struggled at the top half of the championship ...strongly.. Every time he started he featured high in the MOTM vote. Leeds legend for me, never let us down. Quality central defender.
Leeds fans love him because he shakes his fist and kicks people.

He’s done a reasonable job for us, but let us not pretend that he was any more than an adequate championship defender.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

I'm not pretending at all, a very accomplished on ball central defender, I'm the last person to be impressed with fist shaking and blood and guts glory with very little talent or I'd be a Bamford fan
Honey dipped flim flam
CHAPELALLMAN
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

faaip wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:25 am I'm not pretending at all, a very accomplished on ball central defender, I'm the last person to be impressed with fist shaking and blood and guts glory with very little talent or I'd be a Bamford fan
Bamford works hard, but as a CF I think he lacks fist pumping aggression. After the Tottenham game Ian Wright was highlighting on MOD the stark difference between Bamford and Son in attacking the near post when a cross was about to come in. Son went in with real pace, aggression and purpose so as to get in ahead of the defender, whereas Bamford just kind of ambled around when put in the same situation.

I thought though that MB has prescribed to Paddy the watching of Erling Halland clips in an attempt to improve these aspects of his game ?