The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 19th January) Try before you buy for Chilean ace

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 19th January) Try before you buy for Chilean ace

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 19th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Try before you buy for Chilean ace

Italian media outlet La Nazione are claiming that Fiorentina midfielder Erick Pulgar is 'expendable' and a loan deal without any ties would not be out of the question. The out of favour Chilean International, who can play defensive midfield, or defence, has only started 5 games for Cesare Prandelli's team this term. Since his arrival from Bologna, he has featured 48 times, and netted 7 times.

Leeds were keen to sign him last Summer, and apparently made a bid of 15m. 5m more than Fiorentina bought him for 18 months ago. Leeds are not expecting any first team business in this transfer window; however a loan deal without any ties would be an attractive proposition for a well known Bielsa target.

Richard Keys - Leeds will never be better then 10th-14th under Bielsa

In his latest blog, Soccer pundit Richard Keys questions whether Bielsa will still be at Elland Road next season, not because the Argentine may walk away, but because they will never finish higher than 10-14th with El Loco in charge!

At their best Leeds are a delight to watch. It must be fun and frustrating in equal measure to play in that side. It can’t be easy knowing that you’re going to have to score at least twice to win a game because you can’t keep a clean sheet. Here- there are arguments for caution on occasions.

I’m reading the usual suggestions of ‘tiredness’, which always come at this time of their season. Are Leeds running on empty? Of course Karen Carney’s suggestion that ‘they wouldn’t have got up had it not been for Covid’ was clumsy - but I know the point she was making - and so did everybody else. They would’ve got up. They were the best team in the Championship by miles last season. What she really meant was that the Covid break allowed them to re-charge and she was right. There might not be the same chance this season.

I don’t believe Leeds will ever be better then 10th-14th playing the way they do. That won’t be enough for an ambitious owner like Andrea Radrizzani. It shouldn’t be enough for Leeds fans either. So what happens in order for Leeds to take the next step? I wonder if Bielsa will be in charge at Elland Road next season?

Leeds tipped to wrap up deal for McGurk

The Sun sports journalist Alan Nixon expects Leeds to complete the signing of Wigan youngster Sean McGurk, either this month, or worse case scenario in the Summer. This would be the second time Victor Orta has swooped across the Pennines to the DW Stadium in recent times. Last Summer the Whites captured Joe Gelhardt for a bargain price of under under 1m. The 18yo was immediately promoted to the under 23's where he has netted 5 times in 9 outings.

McGurk is a year younger than Gelhardt but possesses much the same extraordinary talent. His favoured position is attacking midfield, that's not to say he hasn't got an eye for goal.

He is also attracting interest north of the border too. Both Celtic and Rangers are monitoring the situation

Wigan are currently struggling on and off the pitch. Leeds have already had one bid turned down for him. Can they, and their administrators afford to turn down an increased offer?

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 19th January) Try before you buy for Chilean ace

Post by The Subhuman »

What Richard Keys knows about football could be written on he back of a postage stamp...in block capitals
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 19th January) Try before you buy for Chilean ace

Post by 1964white »

Another Wigan player....whoopie whoppie woo :roll: Scottish clubs looking at him to play in their championship league.

No good to us to we are a prem club & we need better than that. Apart from Meslier not one U23 player we've signed has established a regular place in our first XI, those that have featured haven't made a great impact :(
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:08 am What Richard Keys knows about football could be written on he back of a postage stamp...in block capitals

:tup: :tup:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Morning...
Try before you buy for Chilean ace
MB wanted him cant see any problem with a no commitment deal right now...
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Lots of rumours about Pulgar coming to us either on loan or we are buying for up to £25m, his Youtube videos look great but he loves a sliding tackle so lets expect him to get a couple of red cards early doors in the Prem.

Richard Keyes needs to go back to Dubai

The Wigan kid again looks good but so would I playing for Wigan, Gelderd looks great in the U23s so if he's as good get him in but these U23s need to start pushing to get into the First Team Squad.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Never keep a clean sheet, tired by Christmas, yawn.

We need midfielders, definitely.

Stopped getting excited by youth signings now.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I’m all for importing good young players - why not? We are top of the under 23 league by 9pts having been promoted last season, which is great to see. For a club like ours the under 23s, as well as the 1st team, need to be playing and competing in the top league. It’s been shocking to see how badly the youth system had been neglected until Radz took over and, I for one, am delighted we are getting back to where we should be in that aspect of the club. It can only be good in the long run.

I wonder why Fiorentina are seemingly so happy to let Pulgar go? If he can come on a trial with no strings attached and is a Bielsa pick then I’m fine with it.

Sounds to me like a back handed complement from Keys, in that he says we should not be happy at finishing 10th in the Prem. That suggests that he thinks our natural place should be competing with the “big 6”. We Leeds fans, obviously, think that should be the case but after 16 long years of being miles away from that level I dare say that there are not that many others who would think so.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

Defo felt we could have used s second loaner this season. And MF does look lightweight. Gelhardt to the bench imo.

McGurk. I suppose another mill thrown at a youngster might pay off....

Whats happened to Gelhardt btw?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

One of those goals came from a corner... he isnt Leeds ;-)
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The U23's are as wierd a set up as the first team squad ..No Summerville v Stoke I don't think.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

faaip wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:08 am What Richard Keys knows about football could be written on he back of a postage stamp...in block capitals
King Dick has lost the key. I haven't read the article in question but i bet he hasn't bothered to address our injury list at CB in his equation. Its fine lines with a thin squad like ours. If we have Koch, Llorente & Cooper fit all season in my opinion we have even more points on the board at this stage. We have had a fantastic start all things considered, played some fantastic football in our first season back in the PL after 16 years away. I think people lose sight of that point. Rome wasn't built in a year......
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

we need 1st team premier league players. but not looking like any arivals this window
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Richard Keys is irrelevant. I'd call him a dinosaur but he was clueless in the 90's too. Was it him that suggested that Guardiola appoint Sam Allardyce as a defensive coach?

Did he forget that Leeds are a newly promoted side. As we establish we'll sign better players and improve year by year. Even this year, everyone forgets our injuries all at the back. We've been hit worse than Liverpool at the back but nobody outside Leeds seems to notice.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Pulgar

A man who ran over someone in his car then did a runner and still has to face a trial in Chile? No thanks.

Keys.

He is partially right imo if we are being totally honest. Unless we suddenly become able to buy top top players then we probably will only go so far under MB. The style MB uses has only ever been made to work consistently at the top level by teams with the best players money can buy. Its unlikely we will ever be in that position without QSI (yes i know many dont like that idea but its true ) Radz will never be able to fund that sort of spending and neither would the 49ers.

So imo Keys is indirectly right, not a slight on Bielsa but i do think the style has a limit at the top level without deep deep pockets.

McGurk

Meh we need to be growing our 1st team I'm sick of hoovering up kids just so Orta can finally get one right. 1st team comes first atleast it should.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Indeed CJay the first team should be priority.

Kinnear did say there'll be no major signings in the January window.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Cjay wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:16 pm Pulgar

A man who ran over someone in his car then did a runner and still has to face a trial in Chile? No thanks.
Is that why they are keen to get rid? In that case I agree with you Clay, no thanks!
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Leeds do get far more media attention than alot of the other teams around us in the league we are either amazing one week and bielsa is a genius or going down the next and bielsa is a naive dreamer. don't see many having a go at wolves, Palace or Burnley who have been in the prem longer than us yet have less points and a worse goal difference - its not unexpected but frustrating non the less.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chileans make a nice Merlot but I think that's it ...
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

From November 2019...As I had not heard of this looked it up...
Erick Pulgar set to return to Chile for trial involving fatal car crash
According to a report this morning from Chilean daily el Gráfico, Fiorentina midfielder Erick Pulgar will be returning to Santiago next week for a civil hearing about a fatal car crash in which he was involved on 14 January 2013. It sounds like a pretty awful episode that calls to mind former Viola player Marcos Alonso’s drunk driving wreck which ended the death of a woman in Spain back in 2011.

This story in Antofagasta daily el Mercurio describes the incident in detail: while speeding down a residential street, Pulgar hit Ampuero so hard that he flew several meters, then fled the scene. A passing taxi driver followed Pulgar and called the police when he found the footballer, who turned 19 the next day, parked in his driveway and covering the vehicle with a tarp to hide the damage. When the police appeared at the residence shortly thereafter, Pulgar went with them without protest, explaining in his official statement that he knew he’d hit a pedestrian but didn’t think he’d killed him, and had fled the scene out of fear without getting out to check on the victim.

Ampuero died shortly after at the hospital, where Pulgar was also brought for a breathalyzer test, which discovered that he was stone-cold sober; toxicology tests on Ampuero found that he had been drinking. That was one of the mitigating factors that, a year later, resulted in Pulgar’s being found guilty but avoiding prison time, along with the finding that Ampuero had crossed the street illegally and taking into account Pulgar’s spotless criminal and driving record.

The story in el Gráfico picks up the thread again here. Apparently dissatisfied with the decision of the criminal court system, the family has spent the past 3 years appealing for a more stringent punishment. Ampuero’s son Daniel alleges that Pulgar has never apologized to the family or taken responsibility for the death he caused, and even cites an incident in which Daniel’s son Camilo encountered Pulgar and was threatened by him. The Ampuero family says that the civil suit is an effort to force Pulgar to acknowledge the incident, which he’s never publicly addressed, and has no financial motive.

In fairness to Pulgar, we haven’t heard his side of this story. It’s pretty standard behavior for the more visible, affluent party to stay very quiet in this type of situation, so we can’t draw too many conclusions from his behavior. However, it’s pretty difficult to hear this and not feel awful for the Ampuero family. We don’t want to make any comments before the legal system has run its course, but we hope that the Ampuero family finds some peace.