The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th January) Give the players a good shake, & a little slap to get best out of em

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th January) Give the players a good shake, & a little slap to get best out of em

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 20th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Give the players a good shake, and a little slap to get best out of them

Former Leeds striker Noel Whelan believes the players at Elland Road lack leaders that are willing to shake things up to get the best out of the players. Speaking on BBC Radio Leeds, following their defeat against the Seagulls, Whelan said...

I think we’ve got a group of nice football players and I’m sure they get on really, really well.

But when push comes to shove and you’re going through a bad period you need a David Batty, a Gary McAllister, you need a Gordon Strachan out there that’s going to grab you by the throat in the changing room, shake you a little bit, give you a little slap and demand more from you as a team.

We haven’t got that and sometimes we just allow it to happen and then go on to the next game and allow it to happen. You need someone in there who’s going to grab people.

Thoughts?

Will Leeds bag bargain winger?

The Daily Mirror are reporting that Leeds are winning the race to sign Demarai Gray from Leicester. The 24 year old has just six months left on his contract, and is available for £1.8m. The former England U21 International is reportedly taking home £55,000 a week, which would make the pacy winger one of the best paid players at Elland Road.

He has fallen down the pecking order at at Walkers Stadium this term, only bagging 18 minutes of game time. Obviously 1£.8m would be a bargain, but do Leeds really need another winger? Gray, allowed to leave Leicester City for the bargain figure of just £1.8million this month after he entered the final six months of his Foxes contract – and Leeds fans have reacted, after recently being linked.

Leeds face competition from Sheffield United, Southampton and West Brom.

Elland Rroad Groundsman should win 'Groundsman of the year award'

Leeds Managing Director Angus Kinnear has promised improvements will be made to Elland Road this Summer, starting with the reconstruction of the pitch...

This process will start in the summer with the key technical element, a full reconstruction of the Elland Road playing surface. We had intended to do this last summer but the process takes 14 weeks and so simply couldn't be executed in a close season so dramatically shortened by the pandemic. The current Elland Road surface received justifiable criticism last year as the ancient drainage system was unable to deal with the torrential rain we experienced across December.

The criticism should not be levelled at our head groundsman Kiel or his excellent staff. They are managing a pitch which is 25 years old and suffering from decades of under-investment. The fact that the pitch is even playable is a testament to Kiel's skills and should win him a Groundsman of the Year award. Everyone at the club knows that with the right investment Kiel and his team will make the Elland Road surface the best in the country.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th January) Give the players a good shake, & a little slap to get best out o

Post by HarryofOz »

Thoughts?
Not from Whelan, that's for sure.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 20th January) Give the players a good shake, & a little slap to get best out o

Post by Sara »

Absolute pish from Whelan, as per.

No more wingers.

The pitch is what it is until it can be replaced.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Howdo Folks.

Give the players a good shake, and a little slap to get best out of them - Whelan

Agree. I said afew weeks ago that Cooper should be reading the riot act when we concede a simple set-piece. Everybody's different i guess, but in my experience in work and playing sport getting a rollocking once in a while sharpens the focus, altho it can also be said at the other end of the scale encouragement is also a good motivator.

Will Leeds bag bargain winger?

To quote Brenda from Bristol. "What another one" Unless its a straight swap for Costa then i don't think it will happen. I did like the kid afew seasons ago.

Kinnear - ER Groundsman should win 'Groundsman of the year award

If the players fail to adapt and we did go back down. Someone will need a shake and a slap and i don't think it will be the head Groundsman.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning Folks.

Another winger.

Pablo
Dallas
Harrison
Costa
Raph
Alioski
Poveda.

Yes I think we are light on the wing... If we had that many defenders in our squad me might be top 6....
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Noel Whelan works for Radio Leeds and if they ask him to make a Leeds related comment he will make one whether he has anything interesting or practical to say or not. I don’t dislike Whelan actually, he makes some daft comments from time to time, all these so called pundits do, but at least he’s Leeds through and through.

£1.8m for Demarai Gray sounds like a bargain but a) if we have to match his current wage then it isn’t, and b) we don’t need another winger surely!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:30 am Morning Folks.

Another winger.

Pablo
Dallas
Harrison
Costa
Raph
Alioski
Poveda.

Yes I think we are light on the wing... If we had that many defenders in our squad me might be top 6....
Not to mention the ones in the U23's
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Another winger.

Pablo
Dallas
Harrison
Costa
Raph
Alioski
Poveda.

Not to mention the lack of strikers, centre-mids & a proper LB
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:15 am Not from Whelan, that's for sure.
I wonder what punishment he's give Emma, if she was naughty??? :shock:
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Gray would be a fantastic signing for that price. Might be contingent on us getting Costa out of the door though.

Pablo will be leaving soon I think (when is his contract up), Costa soon too surely, Dallas is playing rb and centre mid now, alio left back, poveda not shown much to suggest he will become anything special (early days I know). I'd definitely take him if he's willing to work hard under bielsa
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

JH also only on loan, no guarantee we will buy him
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

Whelan probably has more incite as to what it takes to be a pro footballer than anyone on here having been one. He does like to be controversial, self promotion in the media who would of thought it.
Get another winger in i'm sure we could shoehorn one in somewhere🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yes we're far to nice no bite imo.
Last edited by Mick Jones shoulder on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

I have to agree regarding a lack of leadership out on the pitch. There doesn't seem to be anyone inspirational or taking charge out there most times.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Whelan.

He is right, we dont have any leaders. Part of that imo is because traditionally a Captain is a standout player which Cooper isnt, he is a mate to the players but not someone to look up to. We do lack leadership and Whelan is correct imo.

Gray.

Better than Costa, JH and Poveda, id sell Costa and buy Gray if possible.

Pitch.

Kinnear and Co have had years to fix the pitch before today, no excuse. Dont blame the groundsman but we will struggle to pick points up on our own pitch this season.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Another winger.

Pablo
Dallas
Harrison
Costa
Raph
Alioski
Poveda.

Maybe this is a revolutionary new way of playing the game which is about to be revealed - a team made up of 10 wingers and a keeper...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:37 pm Maybe this is a revolutionary new way of playing the game which is about to be revealed - a team made up of 10 wingers and a keeper...
iirc we had something close to that when we played Luton at home last season
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Leeds United v Everton

New fixture date: Wednesday 3rd February 2021

New kick-off time: 7:30pm live on BT Sport

Venue: Elland Road

Arsenal v Leeds United

New fixture date: Sunday 14th February 2021

New kick-off time: 4:30pm live on Sky Sports

Venue: Emirates Stadium

Leeds United v Aston Villa

Fixture date: Saturday 27th February 2021

New kick-off time: 5:30pm live on Sky Sports

Venue: Elland Road

New tv times
'
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Whelan love him or hate him...he is right ...I wrote a few weeks ago that we need a leader onthe pitch and in the dressing room, few disagreed with me... all groups/teams etc must have a leader, if not a natural one who shows up then an appointed one with leadership ability... Leadership is not just about "dishing out bollockings" it is about being consistant praise when praise is earned, "motivating" when necassary and leading by example... But all teams whatever profession need one.

Gray .. No thanks for the obvious reasons already pointed out below...

Ground ...is what it is... Can argue it should have been done two or 3 years ago but it wasnt , not enough time last year ... so it will be done asap...just another obsticle to overcome.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Meh....every time we go on a bad run I hear the "lack of leadership, give em a kick up the arse is all they need"

We have our leader, his name is Marcello Bielsa, our lads would go into a burning building for him.

We will be ok.
'
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 pm Meh....every time we go on a bad run I hear the "lack of leadership, give em a kick up the arse is all they need"

We have our leader, his name is Marcello Bielsa, our lads would go into a burning building for him.

We will be ok.
There is a reason Managers (especially MB) do not interact with players off the training field and there is a club captain.