The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 21st January) Record Covid levels may have knock on effect on football schedule

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 21st January) Record Covid levels may have knock on effect on football schedule

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 21st January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Record Covid levels may have knock on effect on football schedule

With over 70,000 new cases of the Corona Virus being diagnosed in the last 48 hours, and unprecedented deaths levels approaching 2000 daily, it is time to press the pause button on the football season? The new strain of the deadly disease has effected almost every club in the football league, not to mention the lower leagues where testing for Covid is virtually impossible due to financial restraints.

Is enough being done to protect our clubs? Would you welcome a four week break whilst the hierarchy try to rid us of this awful disease?

Put yourself in Sheffield Utd's shoes

With only one league win under their belts, and eleven points from safety, Sheffield Utd's tenure in the Premier League looks like its coming to an end. At the half way point of the season, the Blades have collected a total of 5 points, leaving them rooted to the basement of the Championship. The big question on most people's lips are 'why haven't they got rid of their Manager'?

Chris Wilder has been in charge of the red side of Sheffield since May 2016, and has been a major influence on the team as they rose from League 1. His hatred of Leeds Utd is well documented, making him a god like figure in South Yorkshire. Why haven't the club / fans turned on Wilder? Surely, he should be out of a job by now?

Now reverse the situation. Let's say it was Leeds that were languishing at the foot of the Premier League. How much time would YOU give Bielsa to turn things around? Would you accept relegation knowing that the Argentine should be able to rectify mistakes that were made, which should lead to promotion back to the promised land the season after?

Leeds offered former International Beach player

Leeds have been offered the chance to sign Montpellier and former French International beach Soccer forward Andy Delort. The 29 year old has been in excellent form in Ligue 1 this season, scoring nine goals, and six assists in 18 games. Delort, who is said to be fastest player in Leigue 1, even quicker than Kylian Mbappe.

Montpellier have offered the 29 year old to a range of clubs, including Leeds, as they look to gain some financial security amid the crisis that has struck French football this season. A price tag of 1£4m is expected.

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 21st January) Record Covid levels may have knock on effect on football schedule

Post by HarryofOz »

Dune oh what, I'd wave goodbye to that beach footballer. I sea no reason to shell out money to get him. I'd throw in the towel now as it think we'll be surfed better by someone else.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 21st January) Record Covid levels may have knock on effect on football schedule

Post by Chilli D »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am Dune oh what, I'd wave goodbye to that beach footballer. I sea no reason to shell out money to get him. I'd throw in the towel now as it think we'll be surfed better by someone else.
Very good Harry. :clap:
How long did it take to come up with that?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:40 am Very good Harry. :clap:
How long did it take to come up with that?
About three minutes
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
hector

Post by hector »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:46 am About three minutes
3 minutes you will never get back :P :P

:) :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

Burnley stuck with Dyche it worked
Norwich have stuck with Farke, it's going very well.
Some chairmen/women probably look at the bigger picture than fans do. Wilder would probably do as good a job to get them back up as he did the last time.

We have some fans now calling for Bielsa's head, let alone if we were bottom 4.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

hector wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:54 am 3 minutes you will never get back :P :P

:) :)
:lol: :lol:
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

gessa wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:55 am Burnley stuck with Dyche it worked
Norwich have stuck with Farke, it's going very well.
Some chairmen/women probably look at the bigger picture than fans do. Wilder would probably do as good a job to get them back up as he did the last time.

We have some fans now calling for Bielsa's head, let alone if we were bottom 4.
Indeed, MB, will be looking at the bigger picture on 6 mil a year. Perhaps he's reflecting on whether he needs to be back in sunny England for yet another year. The club will eventually need to start planning for life without Biesla, as it's uncertain whether he will be here next season.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Excellent .......another covid delayed season , so If Leeds win league or get Uefa cup spot (or whatever it's called ) , then that Chelsea hint will say "it's only because............"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No to a season break

What's the point of buying a striker

SU should stick with their manager ...which brings me nicely to

How do you fall for that super glue thing, you'd have to be very gullible ....You should have your own supply and if not it's just inside the door.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

I'd accept a 4 week break only on the following conditions:

The clubs don't fly off and play a football tournament in another country
All Internationals are cancelled until at the earliest the summer
All players must (like us) comply with the Covid Lockdown rules and not hold parties
All players are banned from flying off on holiday during the 4 weeks
Fwank (I believe my own press) Lampard is sacked

Only decent thing you can say about the Blunts they haven't sacked their manager yet!
If we were in the bottom 3 the clamour from Leeds fans to get rid of Bielsa would be deafening which would be bloody crazy

Delort isn't he ex-Wigan?
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:42 pm Morning EB et all

All players must (like us) comply with the Covid Lockdown rules and not hold parties

Only decent thing you can say about the Blunts they haven't sacked their manager yet!
If we were in the bottom 3 the clamour from Leeds fans to get rid of Bielsa would be deafening which would be bloody crazy

Yes and failed as he couldn't settle in the UK...which we should remember in regards to our new signings especially considering the circumstances
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Ratscoot wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:42 pm Morning EB et all

Afternoon pal, yes, he was ex Wigan. Didn't work out and was sent out on long loan. They actually sold him for double what they bought him for....
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:08 pm Afternoon pal, yes, he was ex Wigan. Didn't work out and was sent out on long loan. They actually sold him for double what they bought him for....
Thought he was, what went wrong surely Wigan like to sell at a loss :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I thought we were already in another Lockdown? I would imagine football clubs have got the strictest Corvid measures in the country. How does someone suggest we get rid of these deadly disease in a extra 4 weeks. Maybe the PL has bought extra vaccines and plans to inject all its players.

I think Chris Wilder has done a great job at SU over the last few years. Reading their boards occasionally there fans are split as you would expect. That's the thing about the PL...What do fans of a club like SU expect from their side every season? Enough wins to stay up every year? and if they develop any decent players, they are soon bought by the big boys. It can be a miserable place the PL once the realization sets in.

I am up for the beach player personally. He will be able to coach our players how to play on sand, mud with a tinge of grass.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

The football needs to continue.

Being able to watch some football is one of the things keeping many folk going.

What has been done to us over the last year has been cruel, little attention is being paid to people’s mental or physical health.

All about Covid. The plan to divide people has been remarkably successful.

I’m not saying it isn’t serious, or that I don’t care... I just care about more things than just Covid.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Ron Swanson wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:41 pm The football needs to continue.

Being able to watch some football is one of the things keeping many folk going.

What has been done to us over the last year has been cruel, little attention is being paid to people’s mental or physical health.

All about Covid. The plan to divide people has been remarkably successful.

I’m not saying it isn’t serious, or that I don’t care... I just care about more things than just Covid.
Same page Ron. I don't know if we have enslaved a younger generation for life? Has anyone had the Flu recently? Please post up i would like to hear from you.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:20 pm Same page Ron. I don't know if we have enslaved a younger generation for life? Has anyone had the Flu recently? Please post up i would like to hear from you.
No, because the majority the of older generation have had their flu jabs & many people we know in our age-group have been extremely cautious how they conduct their lives over the last ten months. Guaranteed I'd have caught a cold or maybe flu-type symptoms had I been attending all Leeds matches, playing Indoor bowls three times a week, eating out & shopping regularly, etc.

Covid is a whole different ball game!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm No, because the majority the of older generation have had their flu jabs & many people we know in our age-group have been extremely cautious how they conduct their lives over the last ten months. Guaranteed I'd have caught a cold or maybe flu-type symptoms had I been attending all Leeds matches, playing Indoor bowls three times a week, eating out & shopping regularly, etc.

Covid is a whole different ball game!
I am talking about the population at large 64. Has far as i am aware the flu is not age discriminate? and yet i don't know anybody that has been diagnosed with it in the last year, other than the American guy above. When is a cold a cold? Sneeze or cough now in public and it feels like a criminal offence. Fingers crossed that there is truth that if we vaccinate 60% of the population and above the virus will eventually become weak and will eradicate over time.