My Reflection on Game 19...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

My Reflection on Game 19...

Post by Smudge3920 »

Never a comfortable feeling going into a game on a 2 game losing streak (forget Crawley) compounding this for me was the 10 day lay off, we always (IMO) seem to struggle to find our feet.
On top of this the “injury curse” hit us again at the worst possible time with Llorente pulling his hamstring, an injury always likely in first game back after a lay off, got to feel for the lad he was gutted when he was going off…positive was Struijk came on and was allowed to play his own position and was an admirable substitution… Rodrigo and Raphina continue to shine and increase their threat level. Lets hope we can hold onto Raph as there will be a lot of interest in him come the summer…Another positive that showed up twice was the link up between the “3 left peggers” Rodrigo, Raphina and Bamford especially on that first goal, so well executed….However we need to see much more of that… And Raphina’s pass to Harrison for the second goal was nothing but sublime and then well struck by Harrison. Whilst we are talking about Harrison, I have done a 100% turn around on him, he is showing more and more to be the player we all thought and hoped he would be, IMO it will not be too long before it all falls into place for him.
Meslier, I swear at times I wonder if the kid has a pulse, so cool and calm when distributing the ball, that said I did shout at him when he decided to dribble and play a square pass in his box!...Most young GK’s would have been severely rattled taking two hits to the head in one game, the second was a deliberate attempt to injure (trailing foot...VAR?) and the offender should have been red carded. Add a couple of fine saves and yet another sterling performance from the lad showing again he is fully deserving of his #1 slot.
Phillips easy to critisise due to what we have come to expect from him…and that is so unfair he gets little or no support in MF, there are one or two teams Kalvin can “boss” all day in the MF but it is unfair to expect it game in and game out, it will take it’s toll on him.

I have felt the last two games (especially today) that we are playing at a slower pace, more methodical than the 100 mph game we have become accustomed to… Is this a change to the system implemented by MB or due to a drop in performance by the players ?...I like to think it is the former and we are in an adjustment phase, it is difficult to gauge as our known defensive weaknesses will not go away until we can import new blood.
Bamford and Alioski definitely went missing in action today, one thing I will say in Paddy’s defense is if we are going to cross into the box when he is alone, and he is being tightly marked, then the crosses have to be much more accurate…Alioski today was man handled and easily pushed off the ball, given his size and what is expected of him in his LB role this is not surprising, but we lose his strength when he is being man handled which is running at defenses, cannot fault his effort though…Cooper another one who’s effort you cannot fault but his passing game of late is becoming increasingly “sloppy”, that, he can work on though.

The game changer today for me was Maxim...When he came on he "owned" Ayling and ran Phillips ragged...proof positive that one man can make an impact off the bench...

No such thing as an easy game in the prem, and they only get harder as the season progresses…yet, at the halfway mark we are sat 7 points below 6th place and 14 points above 18th place …happy days.
gessa

Re: My Reflection on Game 19...

Post by gessa »

Happy days indeed Smudge.
12th place half way through the season is excellent and no reason we can't stay there.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good reflection on the game Smudge :tup:

My main quibble is we allowed a poor side back in the game through our own slackness with & off the ball, once again the match should have been put to bed.

In the end we got the necessary three points required bearing in mind the difficult run of games coming up.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... 705528.amp
How Newcastle saw the game. A fairy honest assessment actually.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:10 am https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/f ... 705528.amp
How Newcastle saw the game. A fairy honest assessment actually.
They do however - like just about every commentator/pundit in football (well sport really) - like to present things in a way which while accurate, is overly dramatic.
The fluid Whites, who had not won a game in 2021, let alone scored a goal, were able to breeze into Newcastle's final third far too easily.
That type of hyperbole is sounds so much more dramatic/interesting than - Leeds have now lost a couple of league matches in a row, failing to score in those matches.

And as I said, it's not just about Leeds or football that pundits like to use such misleading phraseology. It happens in all sports. It's amusing really.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 am They do however - like just about every commentator/pundit in football (well sport really) - like to present things in a way which while accurate, is overly dramatic.

That type of hyperbole is sounds so much more dramatic/interesting than - Leeds have now lost a couple of league matches in a row, failing to score in those matches.

And as I said, it's not just about Leeds or football that pundits like to use such misleading phraseology. It happens in all sports. It's amusing really.
It's great when the commentary team come out with things like, Leeds haven't won a league game at ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ since 1991, it's now 2021 and we've only played there twice in that time. :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:30 pm It's great when the commentary team come out with things like, Leeds haven't won a league game at ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ since 1991, it's now 2021 and we've only played there twice in that time. :)
Or the commentator spouts

Steve Bruce has never lost a game to Leeds....erm :roll:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Some commentators do push out interestiong facts at times though...Did anyone realise in the Noocastle game out of our starting 11 we had 8 left peggers...?... :)
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:44 pm Or the commentator spouts

Steve Bruce has never lost a game to Leeds....erm :roll:
Was that game or PL games.
Seem to remember him as Brum manager before we were relegated and we had a poor record against them.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Good write up Smudge. I'm a bit nervous about the upcoming schedule. Not by the frequency (though if we get more injuries that might change), but the teams we will play. Hard to see many points, but perhaps that will temper fan expectations. Last night's "6 pointer" was essential we win due to the up and coming games. I did note though, that WBA play a lot of the bottom teams in the next few gameweeks and that could really shape the bottom of the table.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Lumiukko wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:28 pm Good write up Smudge. I'm a bit nervous about the upcoming schedule. Not by the frequency (though if we get more injuries that might change), but the teams we will play. Hard to see many points, but perhaps that will temper fan expectations. Last night's "6 pointer" was essential we win due to the up and coming games. I did note though, that WBA play a lot of the bottom teams in the next few gameweeks and that could really shape the bottom of the table.
Ta very much mate...the one point I forgot to mention was ...the league has definately split into two divisions...Whilst we have to go after every game, I think we have now the safety in our own hands, with those below us...anything we take from above us absolute bonus ...
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:06 am Good reflection on the game Smudge :tup:
Ta mate ...
My main quibble is we allowed a poor side back in the game through our own slackness with & off the ball, once again the match should have been put to bed.
A concern for sure, I agree the game should have been out of reach for Noocastle by HT...if we can start taking our chances better, we will not have such dier 2nd halves...
In the end we got the necessary three points required bearing in mind the difficult run of games coming up.
Thats the main thing 3 points... but a positive from that 2nd half was we held onto the result
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 pm Was that game or PL games.
Seem to remember him as Brum manager before we were relegated and we had a poor record against them.
If it was PL game we beat Bruce's Newcastle 5-2 in December
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:30 pm It's great when the commentary team come out with things like, Leeds haven't won a league game at ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ since 1991, it's now 2021 and we've only played there twice in that time. :)
The other blunder was :

"Leeds move up to 12th if they win this game"

We were already 12th in the table.....buffoons!