The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th January) - Much needed win gives Leeds safety cushion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th January) - Much needed win gives Leeds safety cushion

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. Its Wednesday 27th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Much needed win creates safety cushion

Leeds survived a second half comeback at the hands of Newcastle Utd, to move back to comparable safety,with a 14 point cushion between themselves and the drop zone. Bielsa's men controlled large periods of the first half, though it was a moment of magic from Rapinho that broke the deadlock after 17 minutes.

The second half was chalk and cheese compared to the first. Whatever Steve Bruce said to his team at half time works. The Geordies had confidence, guile and a bounce in their step. twelve minutes into the second half Newcastle had broke even. Bamford sold Ayling short as the Whites tried to create an attack on the right. Shelvey fed the ball to Wilson on the edge of the area. The former Bournemouth mans first time touch was perfect for an on rushing Almiron who composed himself before smashing the ball through a helpless Meslier.

Leeds however were not to be denied. Jack Harrison's sublime arched strike around the stranded Darlow (after a great pass from Raphinha) was enough to give Leeds their first points of 2021. Newcastle never gave up; there were more than a few heart in mouth moments before the referee finally blew for full time.

Post match reactions

Newcastle Manager - Steve Bruce...

Leeds gaffer - Marcelo Bielsa...

Tricky times ahead

Leeds much needed win last night gave the Whites an invaluable twelve point buffer between themselves and the bottom three. Leeds are half way through the season on 26 points. If they finish on 52 points, do you consider that to be a good, or a great season?They have 19 matches left, so anything can still happen. How will Leeds fare in their next eight games?

Away - Leicester
Home - Everton
Home - Palace
Away - Arsenal
Away against a desperate Wolves
Home - Aston Villa
Away - West Ham
Home - Chelsea

danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th January) Much needed win creates safety cushion

Post by danhirons »

going to be a very difficult run, need to try and get something from palace, wolves, villa, west ham games
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th January) Much needed win creates safety cushion

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning folks.

Great win last night. Arrested a three game no goals losing streak. 3 away points. Raph continues to impress.

Whats not to be happy about?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

danhirons wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:59 am going to be a very difficult run, need to try and get something from palace, wolves, villa, west ham games
I don't know why, but I can see Palace being one of our bogey teams.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:59 am Morning folks.

Great win last night. Arrested a three game no goals losing streak. 3 away points. Raph continues to impress.

Whats not to be happy about?
the next 8 games....
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th January) - Much needed win gives Leeds safety cushion

Post by White Riot »

Leeds much needed win last night gave the Whites an invaluable twelve point buffer between themselves and the bottom three. Leeds are half way through the season on 26 points. If they finish on 52 points, do you consider that to be a good, or a great season?

If we get 52 points in our first season back, then in the context of 16 years in the wilderness, and considering the squad and injuries we have, I consider that to be a great season. I actually think we'll finish around 8-10th with 55 points. The one big blemish is that debacle in the FA Cup, which I'm sure will be largely forgiven when we secure Premiership survival in several weeks time.

They have 19 matches left, so anything can still happen. How will Leeds fare in their next eight games?

Away - Leicester = Loss
Home - Everton = Win
Home - Palace = Win
Away - Arsenal = Draw
Away against a desperate Wolves = Win
Home - Aston Villa = Draw
Away - West Ham = Loss
Home - Chelsea = Win
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:26 am I don't know why, but I can see Palace being one of our bogey teams.
London is our bogey location Matt, bit different when they have to come up to ER, and we'll now be able to play our style of footy on a decent home surface (God willing). Sure we'll break that London hoodoo one day, but don't think it'll be until next season.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 27th January) - Much needed win gives Leeds safety cushion

Post by Chilli D »

We'll do well to get anything from Leicester. They're flying at the moment.
I can see Vardy, Barnes and Maddison giving our defenders a torrid time.
I think Phillips will need to sit between Cooper and Struijk for this one.
Try and catch them on the counter attack.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

One game at a time, I think.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

White Riot wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:00 am London is our bogey location Matt, bit different when they have to come up to ER, and we'll now be able to play our style of footy on a decent home surface (God willing). Sure we'll break that London hoodoo one day, but don't think it'll be until next season.
Technically, we will be playing o a North London pitch....
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

I would be absolutely delighted if we could get a point from Everton.

Wolves away, when they desperately need the points. I just see that they have more strength in depth.

West Ham - bang on form - 4th in table

Now that Chelsea have a new Manager, they'll be stronger
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Vardy is out.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:37 am One game at a time, I think.
Yep
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

We know exactly what to expect from each team we play now till the end of the season. Our place and general standard in this league has been set - upper-bottom half is something I think we'd all have accepted at the start but again it needs to be repeated the goal is survival.

It doesn't matter if we lose to teams that are better than us, the only losses we need to feel anything about (yes, nobody likes to lose but bemoaning a loss to a superior side is pointless) are the ones that will ultimately threaten our primary goal.

Big things will happen in the summer if we remain in the Premier League.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:43 am We know exactly what to expect from each team we play now till the end of the season. Our place and general standard in this league has been set - upper-bottom half is something I think we'd all have accepted at the start but again it needs to be repeated the goal is survival.

It doesn't matter if we lose to teams that are better than us, the only losses we need to feel anything about (yes, nobody likes to lose but bemoaning a loss to a superior side is pointless) are the ones that will ultimately threaten our primary goal.

Big things will happen in the summer if we remain in the Premier League.
Absolutely Moth

I would have been extremely annoyed had we chucked a victory away last night against what are a poor team on the decline being managed poorly from boardroom to pitch level.

Any points v those above us I'll look upon as a bonus.

I've already resigned myself to a loss v the Foxes as I believe they'll have far too much fire-power for us (even without Vardy) especially if we defend like we did last night. I can view the match not watching from behind the sofa :lol: just as was the case v Manure, Citeh, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, etc

Just enjoy the up & down ride :)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 am Technically, we will be playing o a North London pitch....
Technically, I think it was grown in Nottinghamshire, or somewhere, so won't be polluted with the London vibes.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

After half the season I think we are doing very well.

Though I do retain an element of frustration that we make stupid mistakes every game. The same type of mistakes too.

Slack passing at the back. Unnecessary passing at the back.

Picking Alioski as a defender.

Etc.

If we finish 9th-13th with around 50 points that’d be great.

But with this season the way it has been, we could have pushed for a higher spot.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:24 pm Absolutely Moth

I would have been extremely annoyed had we chucked a victory away last night against what are a poor team on the decline being managed poorly from boardroom to pitch level.

Any points v those above us I'll look upon as a bonus.

I've already resigned myself to a loss v the Foxes as I believe they'll have far too much fire-power for us (even without Vardy) especially if we defend like we did last night. I can view the match not watching from behind the sofa :lol: just as was the case v Manure, Citeh, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs, etc

Just enjoy the up & down ride :)
Absolutely. Can I also just say how delighted I am with Rodrigo and Raphinha - a goal and 2 assists between them last night. More of this quality in the summer and the ups will once again begin to outweigh the downs.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I’d be ok (not necessarily happy) with 8pts from those games based on the performances in the last month or so and the fact that we are going back once again to a patched up/make shift defence. Wins against Palace and Wolves and draws against Everton and Villa is about as much as I’m expecting which would be enough to keep our head above water.

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m losing more and more confidence the longer the season goes on (may be a hangover from the Crawley/Brighton results) but it seems to me we are not playing anywhere near as well as we did at the start of the season. Fortunately I believe we’ve done enough to stay up this season but a major overhaul will be required in the summer if we are going to threaten the European places.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:59 pm Absolutely. Can I also just say how delighted I am with Rodrigo and Raphinha - a goal and 2 assists between them last night. More of this quality in the summer and the ups will once again begin to outweigh the downs.
Raphinha has already paid his £17m fee back with 3 goals (all beauties) & 3 assists, instrumental in earning 9 of our 26 points in his 12 appearances