Thanks Covidiots

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Thanks Covidiots

Post by The Subhuman »

Mountain wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 am I predict that this will be the debate where the entire issue is settled one way or the other, and one side will persuade the other that the reaction to Covid 19 was too much or too little...
Always happens here to be fair ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

danhirons wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am tell me about it! covid and seasonal influenza are basically the same apart from the huge difference in mortality rate between the two! :duno:
So they're not the same then are they?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
LUFC DAVE 7
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by LUFC DAVE 7 »

Norm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 am F*cking nonsense the whole thing - they should have treated it like a normal 'flu outbreak because that's what it is in reality, albeit with maybe a few more people who are susceptible to C19. Apologies to anyone who's lost family members to C19 but really the actual figures are not much different to normal (whatever that is) 'Flu. It metastasises like the 'flu so it really is a variant, like the 1918 Spanish 'Flu, which was, if anything, worse than C19.
Your post is inaccurate, dangerous, insensitive and ill thought out!

Early studies and reports, undertaken and produced, both here (UK) and in the USA, indicate the mortality rate of Covid-19, compared to that of Influenza, is on average* over seven times higher.
(*compiled, UK, USA, Canada, mainland Europe, South America)

Furthermore, the long term effects of Covid-19, which at this time are not fully understood, can be serious and debilitating, representing a significant difference when compared to Influenza.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:32 pm So they're not the same then are they?
that was my point! :)

Edit: sorry not sure my point was conveyed that clearly in the last post! I do not think seasonal flu and covid are the same! :lol:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

danhirons wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:47 pm that was my point! :)
Ah fair enough, my apologies
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

danhirons wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:47 pm that was my point! :)

Edit: sorry not sure my point was conveyed that clearly in the last post! I do not think seasonal flu and covid are the same! :lol:
I got it mate... due to your "dunno" emoji...I quoted you in support when I showed the Canada mortality stats comparison to C19 & influenza ... :)
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:53 pm I got it mate... due to your "dunno" emoji...I quoted you in support when I showed the Canada mortality stats comparison to C19 & influenza ... :)
:tup:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Anybody got an idea what the accurate mortality percentage stats are?

I realise that's not the only criterion but it seemed to be blown out of all proportion a few months ago.
The latest and allegedly more severe strains may have made a substantial difference but it would be interesting to know.

I see we're being encouraged to wear two masks now, although personally I think it's a recipe for becoming two-faced.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Mountain wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 am I predict that this will be the debate where the entire issue is settled one way or the other, and one side will persuade the other that the reaction to Covid 19 was too much or too little...
:)
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Norm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:14 pm Anybody got an idea what the accurate mortality percentage stats are?
I realise that's not the only criterion but it seemed to be blown out of all proportion a few months ago.
The latest and allegedly more severe strains may have made a substantial difference but it would be interesting to know.

Very difficult to get truly accurate stats in these circumstances...e.g. The 1918 pandemic, is reported to have been "under estimated" due to less sophisticated reporting protocols and procedures. Nowadays it is easier to be more accurate, however you are always going to have differing opinions and reporting protocols.

I see we're being encouraged to wear two masks now, although personally I think it's a recipe for becoming two-faced.
Very good ... :lol:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Ok, latest figues show 97.65% of people having had C19 have survived - no worse than 'Flu.
That could change with the new strains, and I will check in a month or six, but I deal in facts, not hysteria.

Please bear in mind that percentage is worldwide - certain areas may be different, but the overall average is what it is for a reason.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Norm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:55 pm Ok, latest figues show 97.65% of people having had C19 have survived - no worse than 'Flu.

Do you take into account the lasting and possible life changing effects of covid on people?...Which are far worse than the flu

That could change with the new strains, and I will check in a month or six, but I deal in facts, not hysteria.

Of course, bearing in mind you only have one year of covid stats...and in Canada there has been more covid deaths in one year than the previous 10 years combined of "flu" deaths ... I agree facts are facts... Stats can be interpreted many ways...hence the many disagreements re Covid v Flu...

Please bear in mind that percentage is worldwide - certain areas may be different, but the overall average is what it is for a reason.

In cases like this it has to be world wide stats.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Covid-19: Kent virus variant 'on course to sweep world'

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56019995
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Norm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:21 am F*cking nonsense the whole thing - they should have treated it like a normal 'flu outbreak because that's what it is in reality, albeit with maybe a few more people who are susceptible to C19. Apologies to anyone who's lost family members to C19 but really the actual figures are not much different to normal (whatever that is) 'Flu. It metastasises like the 'flu so it really is a variant, like the 1918 Spanish 'Flu, which was, if anything, worse than C19.
I really don't understand your viewpoint.
Maybe I misunderstood your previous posts but didn't you tell us that you got Covid-19 and were hospitalized with it and were ill for quite a long time?
Why didn't you just take 2 Tylenol and go to bed for a day? Why the over reaction by going to hospital?
You honestly confuse me.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

There is a third position, of course. Yes, it's a serious disease, and yes, those at the top have exploited the situation, as always, to increase their wealth, power and privilege.

Far more people die every year from poverty; why are the covid moralisers not banging on about that? Or about the environmental destruction and pressure on habitats which leads to the accelerated evolution of viruses in the first place? A little bit of political perspective and understanding wouldn't go amiss.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Apologies for the long winded reply... but poverty is a cause close to my heart...espeically the children.
SaraM wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:46 pm There is a third position, of course. Yes, it's a serious disease, and yes, those at the top have exploited the situation, as always, to increase their wealth, power and privilege.

Sadly a sign of the times Sara, commited by those with no moral conscience.

Far more people die every year from poverty; why are the covid moralisers not banging on about that? Or about the environmental destruction and pressure on habitats which leads to the accelerated evolution of viruses in the first place? A little bit of political perspective and understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Poverty... A total modern day hangover from the dark ages through governments lack of social conscience to deal with it, in the UK cancel HS2, reduce defence spending by 2% and if the savings are used wisely poverty would all but dissapear... but as it does not effect the majority it is mostly ignored... Now Covid 19 effects (or could everyone) so everyone has an opinion.
Pre covid I used to volunteer 5 hours a week at my local food bank, since covid took a hold I now spend 20 hours a week volunteering.

It is disgusting that in this day and age in 1st world democratic countries that poverty even exists. 1st world countries should be erradicating poverty in 3rd world under developed countries...sadly all our priorities are wrong.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

I guess another way to look at it also is ...we are all moralisers on matters we believe in ...just sayin'
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

Norm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:55 pm Ok, latest figues show 97.65% of people having had C19 have survived - no worse than 'Flu.

but there is a reason for that....in a word VACCINE

All those vulnerable to flu (including myself) get a flu jab every year. This means that I do not get flu, not had it for decades. In my younger days before i took a vaccine i did have it once. I was bed ridden and had a fever for a week, it was horrible. Those of my age then (35) getting covid today would hardly even now they have it.

covid is generally only a killer to the elderly and those with underlying conditions. If these people got flu they are more likely to die of that than covid, but they dont get flu, cos they get the flu jab every year.

to the average 40 year old flu is much worse than covid, and if you cancelled the flu jab in the autumn, many more people will die than those that die of covid.

Basically, the vulnerable are protected from flu by a vaccine, soon they will all be protected against covid too, no doubt the covid vaccine will be incorporated into the flu jab
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm Apologies for the long winded reply... but poverty is a cause close to my heart...espeically the children.
I think we adults are robust, we can deal with money issues, work issues, relationship issues, health issues.

But one of the cruellest things in life must be a parent looking at their child crying because s/he's hungry, or cold, or sick and unable to access appropriate treatment.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Smudge3920 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm Apologies for the long winded reply... but poverty is a cause close to my heart...espeically the children.
I think the problem is systemic rather than a matter for specific government policies, but that would be a much longer conversation, and off topic.

I agree it is one of the sad ironies of this situation that we have had wall to wait coverage of covid for a year now, because it affects 'us', ie privileged westerners, yet millions more die of preventable poverty every year, and we don't bat an eyelid. It certainly puts the ridiculous moralising about people's behaviour around covid into context.