Reasons to be Cheerful

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Reasons to be Cheerful

Post by Prisoner37 »

It is easy to listen to the pundits rolling out the tired old statements like 'Leeds are vulnerable at set pieces' without seeing what is really going on behind the scenes.
The gradual improvements MB is making tells its own tale in the stats.
In the last 11 Premiership games, from dead balls, we have conceeded from only two corners (Spurs and Everton) and none from free kicks.
We have started to look increasingly dangerous ourselves from set pieces, scoring one from a corner and last night's free kick goal.
This makes it 2-2 in the corner/free kick stakes.
In those last 11 games we have won 6 and lost 5 with a plus 5 GD.
Those 11 games gives us a points gain per game of 1.636. Over a full season that gives a total haul of 62 points that would have finished in 5th. The power of marginal gains!
This has been with most of our most valuable players out.
Also the gradual improvements in Costa and Roberts on top the way Bamford has improved his game does warm the cockles of the heart.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Reasons to be Cheerful

Post by The Subhuman »

Roberts has looked very good and there seems to be a budding link with Paddy. Lets not forget at 22 Bamford was going nowhere it's taken him to 27 to reach this level and Roberts is only 22..Roberts is a lot better than Paddy was at the same age, he might even be better than Kalvin was at 21/22

A settled CB partnership has improved our set piece defending and Raphinha has improved our dead ball chances

Good rational post 37....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

With thirteen games to go, we are thirteen points clear of the relegation zone.

A full one-third of the season to go and we're looking pretty safe (although I'm not counting any chickens just yet).

Given that survival was, by far, the most important goal for this season, and one that was most decidedly not a given, that is reason number one to be cheerful.

Everything beyond that - the emergence of Meslier and Struijk, significant improvement from Bamford and Dallas, the revelation that is Raphinha - is gravy.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Good points, op. Even without the stats, I'm feeling noticeably less nervous/ more optimistic at set piece situations. It seemed to be the one area MB couldn't get right, but we're definitely improving. Ongoing improvement in all areas is what gives hope for the future.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Prisoner37 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 pm It is easy to listen to the pundits rolling out the tired old statements like 'Leeds are vulnerable at set pieces' without seeing what is really going on behind the scenes.
In the last 11 Premiership games, from dead balls, we have conceeded from only two corners (Spurs and Everton) and none from free kicks.
We have started to look increasingly dangerous ourselves from set pieces, scoring one from a corner and last night's free kick goal.
Those 11 games gives us a points gain per game of 1.636. Over a full season that gives a total haul of 62 points that would have finished in 5th. The power of marginal gains!
Also the gradual improvements in Costa and Roberts on top the way Bamford has improved his game does warm the cockles of the heart.
Good post P37...Patience has been the key, from MB and the lads...and some on the forum :P ... What a great foundation to build on in the next 2 years ... Meslier, Raphina & Kalvin, (absolutely goes without saying)...Koch (early showings before injury)... Lliorente(even though only one full game, showed the potential we believe and hoped he had) Rodrigo, (still not at his best but definately there abouts)..Veterans with at least 1 or 2 more years in the 1st team squad, Ayling, Dallas, Cooper...Harrison, Roberts definate keepers IMO...Costa's resurgence should it keep going the remainder of the season would be welcomed as a cost saving...And finally the potential we have in Huggins, Geldardt, Summerville & Cresswell round off a nice comfortable feeling.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just like Bielsa's first season in the championship, this initial PL campaign is a learning process for not only our players but for the great man himself.

There definitely seems to be an improvement with set-pieces at both ends, I'm not hiding behind sofa anymore :)

The togetherness of our squad is second to none.

Watching the finest Leeds player Raphinha in the 21st century is a absolute joy!

With Phillips, Koch & Rodrigo to return plus more quality additions in the summer there are so many reasons to be cheerful :-D
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 pm Roberts has looked very good and there seems to be a budding link with Paddy. Lets not forget at 22 Bamford was going nowhere it's taken him to 27 to reach this level and Roberts is only 22..Roberts is a lot better than Paddy was at the same age, he might even be better than Kalvin was at 21/22

A settled CB partnership has improved our set piece defending and Raphinha has improved our dead ball chances

Good rational post 37....
Bamford was named Championship player of the year when he was 22 and had scored 45 goals the majority in the Championship over the last 2 seasons.

I know you like Roberts mate but that is simply not true.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Raph may be here next season and the club are planning on signing up to 5 players according to The Athletic.

Thats a reason to be cheerful.

Good thread this
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

All is good in the world of the Leeds supporter but hold on .............. This is Leeds something is bound to go wrong :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Buy Haaland and we win the title....would have to break the bank ten times over for that though...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:46 pm Buy Haaland and we win the title....would have to break the bank ten times over for that though...
What a player Chapel, unfortunately out of our reach :(
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Prisoner37 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:05 pm It is easy to listen to the pundits rolling out the tired old statements like 'Leeds are vulnerable at set pieces' without seeing what is really going on behind the scenes.
Well said

I can understand pundits still talking about our conceding so many set piece goals, it's been an issue. But I also think they should mention our improvement of late.

Another improvement has been our home form. Early on in the season we were picking up points away from home but struggling at home, though that may have been as much to do with the teams we were playing - I haven't looked into it in detail. I think we have won five of our last seven home games.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:12 pm Well said

I can understand pundits still talking about our conceding so many set piece goals, it's been an issue. But I also think they should mention our improvement of late.

Another improvement has been our home form. Early on in the season we were picking up points away from home but struggling at home, though that may have been as much to do with the teams we were playing - I haven't looked into it in detail. I think we have won five of our last seven home games.
We've definitely won four of our last five home games, sounds even better Harry :)
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:29 pm We've definitely won four of our last five home games, sounds even better Harry :)
It does indeed :)
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

A few reasons to be cheerful:

We are all but safe in Premier League with nearly a 3rd of the season still to go.

We are playing the best and most watchable football that we’ve played for at least 20 years, and a lot more watchable than most other teams in this division.

Looks like Bielsa is going to stay for at least another year.

We have achieved what we have so far this season despite injuries to key players (I don’t think we’ve been able to play, what on paper, would probably be our strongest team yet this season, and that bodes well for the future.

We are in a strong financial position and will be able to add some more quality players this summer.

We are scoring some really classy goals (and a lot of them).

Raphinha is looking absolutely world class.

We have just proved that we can win (reasonably comfortably, well 2nd half anyway) even without our world class, international dm.

The under 23s are storming their league and will be mixing it with the very big boys next year (as it should be)

Radrizani and his current management team (never been convinced about Victor, but after Raphinha I’m warming to him) is probably as good as it gets, they have ambitions for the club and so far are well on course for realising those ambitions.

Elland Road is due to be enlarged and modernised and a new Leeds based, up to the minute training facility is due to be built.

Generally everything in the garden is rosy and we are closing in on the top 6 which, I believe, is where we belong.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:10 am A few reasons to be cheerful:

We are all but safe in Premier League with nearly a 3rd of the season still to go.

We are playing the best and most watchable football that we’ve played for at least 20 years, and a lot more watchable than most other teams in this division.

Looks like Bielsa is going to stay for at least another year.

We have achieved what we have so far this season despite injuries to key players (I don’t think we’ve been able to play, what on paper, would probably be our strongest team yet this season, and that bodes well for the future.

We are in a strong financial position and will be able to add some more quality players this summer.

We are scoring some really classy goals (and a lot of them).

Raphinha is looking absolutely world class.

We have just proved that we can win (reasonably comfortably, well 2nd half anyway) even without our world class, international dm.

The under 23s are storming their league and will be mixing it with the very big boys next year (as it should be)

Radrizani and his current management team (never been convinced about Victor, but after Raphinha I’m warming to him) is probably as good as it gets, they have ambitions for the club and so far are well on course for realising those ambitions.

Elland Road is due to be enlarged and modernised and a new Leeds based, up to the minute training facility is due to be built.

Generally everything in the garden is rosy and we are closing in on the top 6 which, I believe, is where we belong.
Great post of observations :tup: