Up to 5 signings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Up to 5 signings

Post by Cjay »

For the 1st team next summer.

Phil has mentioned how the dm is more likely to be to backup KP rather than replace.

That being said it could be a 8/4 kind of like a Forshaw just much better, so somebody who can cover and maybe.ultimately replace Klich who is in his 30s now.

We know a left back is likely.

Also logically some of the old guard will go to fund it or become bench players.

So lets just assume we keep Raph because selling him would be the most unambitious thing.

Who do we think is under threat?

Which positions do we think we will prioritise?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Up to 5 signings

Post by Sara »

Not sure that anyone who has been a regular squad member will be 'under threat', apart from, probably, Pablo. As you say, LB, CDM, and another midfielder of some sort, depending who is available. Replacing/ upgrading Kiko would be desirable, if it could be done. Possibly another striker to push Bamford, if that isn't Rodrigo.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Cjay wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 pm For the 1st team next summer.

Phil has mentioned how the dm is more likely to be to backup KP rather than replace.

That being said it could be a 8/4 kind of like a Forshaw just much better, so somebody who can cover and maybe.ultimately replace Klich who is in his 30s now.

We know a left back is likely.

Also logically some of the old guard will go to fund it or become bench players.

So lets just assume we keep Raph because selling him would be the most unambitious thing.

Who do we think is under threat?

Which positions do we think we will prioritise?
It's a positive message coming out of the club and needed to take that next step.

I think a number of players will be moved on this may well be - Kiko, Pablo, Alio, Roberts, with the likes of Cooper, Ayling and Klich not far too behind. There is also Costa and Poveda that really need to step it up.

Ideally, we could do with bringing in another keeper, creative midfielder, defensive midfielder, a proper left back and another striker.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Overman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:59 am It's a positive message coming out of the club and needed to take that next step.

I think a number of players will be moved on this may well be - Kiko, Pablo, Alio, Roberts, with the likes of Cooper, Ayling and Klich not far too behind. There is also Costa and Poveda that really need to step it up.

Ideally, we could do with bringing in another keeper, creative midfielder, defensive midfielder, a proper left back and another striker.
Strongly disagree that getting rid of players like Cooper, Ayling and Klich and signing a slew of players all very the pitch would be either positive or needed.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

Mountain wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:24 am Strongly disagree that getting rid of players like Cooper, Ayling and Klich and signing a slew of players all very the pitch would be either positive or needed.
I don't think it will happpend straight away with those players highlighted, but they will eventually be phased out.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The likes of Ayling, Cooper, Klich, etc will remain as squad players, due to injuries/suspensions they'll still get plenty of games.

If we sign another top striker Bamford won't be required to play every game, he must feel knackered.

Signing a DM would mean Phillips wouldn't be over used.

A new LB would suggest Alioski's days are numbered as he struggles to retain a first-team place when given a opportunity every season.

Dallas would be safe because he can play so many positions, like Bamford he needs a rest at times.

We need a stronger squad of quality & depth if we are to push onto the next level especially if we end up playing in Europe.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Overman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:54 am I don't think it will happpend straight away with those players highlighted, but they will eventually be phased out
Definitely a gradual phase.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

We definitely don't need five signings in the summer. Two (or three at the most) will be more than enough. The only of our four summer signings to have played regularly this season has been Raphinha. Injuries (not lack of ability) have kept Rodrigo, Koch and Llorente out the team. The three of them playing or being available more regularly and two new signings will be more than enough to supplement our current crop of players who have more than proven themselves worthy this season.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

A new left back would probably walk straight into the team, anyone else would have to push his way in I suppose?
There Is Only One United.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I think we need an injection of reality when we talk about replacing the likes of Ayling. The next level involves clubs that spend up to 50 million on full backs, and pays them up to 200k a week. Even a "selling club" like Leicester will spend 20 million plus on a full back and pay them the bones of 100k a week. Why throw money and risk ruining morale, when Ayling has been a key part of the rise of Leeds and the Bielsa system?

If I was sitting in the Leeds dressing room looking at Luke Ayling who has been in the trenches beside me for 2 seasons, on crap days against Wigan, who has fought as hard as anyone to drag the club into the top 10 and not looked out of place. And if I thought the club was relegating him and taking a punt on some unknown to "get us to the next level" paying them double my wages, that wouldn't inspire me, that would upset me.
Cumbriarents
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cumbriarents »

Mountain wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:36 am I think we need an injection of reality when we talk about replacing the likes of Ayling. The next level involves clubs that spend up to 50 million on full backs, and pays them up to 200k a week. Even a "selling club" like Leicester will spend 20 million plus on a full back and pay them the bones of 100k a week. Why throw money and risk ruining morale, when Ayling has been a key part of the rise of Leeds and the Bielsa system?

If I was sitting in the Leeds dressing room looking at Luke Ayling who has been in the trenches beside me for 2 seasons, on crap days against Wigan, who has fought as hard as anyone to drag the club into the top 10 and not looked out of place. And if I thought the club was relegating him and taking a punt on some unknown to "get us to the next level" paying them double my wages, that wouldn't inspire me, that would upset me.
:tup: well said. Hard working lads we have
Allrounder
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Allrounder »

I just hope we can get hold of Rodrigo De Paul and in addition two international standard players. Then we would have upto 7 good signings within one year.

But We should never think of selling guys like Ayling and Dallas (I know his name hasn't been mentioned) as these two eipitomize everything about the 'new' Leeds. If that happens soon, it certainly will break my heart.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 am The likes of Ayling, Cooper, Klich, etc will remain as squad players, due to injuries/suspensions they'll still get plenty of games.

If we sign another top striker Bamford won't be required to play every game, he must feel knackered.

Signing a DM would mean Phillips wouldn't be over used.

A new LB would suggest Alioski's days are numbered as he struggles to retain a first-team place when given a opportunity every season.

Dallas would be safe because he can play so many positions, like Bamford he needs a rest at times.

We need a stronger squad of quality & depth if we are to push onto the next level especially if we end up playing in Europe.
Agree about Dallas 64. I never would have believed he was PL level two years ago but he has been one of our players of the season.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Mountain wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:36 am I think we need an injection of reality when we talk about replacing the likes of Ayling. The next level involves clubs that spend up to 50 million on full backs, and pays them up to 200k a week. Even a "selling club" like Leicester will spend 20 million plus on a full back and pay them the bones of 100k a week. Why throw money and risk ruining morale, when Ayling has been a key part of the rise of Leeds and the Bielsa system?

Indeed. Players like Ayling, Cooper, Dallas ect are the heartbeat of the team. They may have flaws but they alos have a lot of strengths, some of which money can't buy. For me it is the case of simply freshenign up 2 or 3 decent signings per year as players either get to the end of their careers, or have lost a bit of pace, been on a bad run of form for too long, been a posiiton where it has been a square peg etc etc.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

weasel wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:25 am Indeed. Players like Ayling, Cooper, Dallas ect are the heartbeat of the team. They may have flaws but they alos have a lot of strengths, some of which money can't buy. For me it is the case of simply freshenign up 2 or 3 decent signings per year as players either get to the end of their careers, or have lost a bit of pace, been on a bad run of form for too long, been a posiiton where it has been a square peg etc etc.
Fully agree, really don't want to see this team being broken up and tens or hundreds of millions thrown at some pipe dream of chasing clubs like Liverpool, City, Chelsea and Arsenal that have squads costing half a billion and more. We saw the effect of that once before. We know from transfers like Augustin how easy it is to get it wrong.

If we look at the transfers since promotion, Bielsa has shown no desire to throw aside players who got Leeds where they are. Rodrigo and Raphinha were to fill the void left by Pablo, 2 centre halves to make up for Ben White, the whole point about the Leeds revolution is that it's based on so many players who lined up for Bielsa in his first match.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:11 am Agree about Dallas 64. I never would have believed he was PL level two years ago but he has been one of our players of the season.
I love the attitude & commitment of Dallas & Ayling & wouldn't dream of releasing them as they still have a major part to play imo. Coops has done very well although once Koch & Llorente are free of injury & with the emergence of Struijk, his place could be jeopardy come next season. I'd still retain Liam as I firmly believe we require four experienced CB's at this level as has been the case this season. Klich is another useful player to have in your ranks although I do feel we need a quality attacking goal-scoring midfielder.

I have reservations on a few but you never know there still could be improvement in those I'm unsure about. For example I was astounded with Costa's performance v the Saints, was it a one-off? only time will tell.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cracking post, so much common sense.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

But you're not sat in the changing room and can only assume that's what the reaction may be. Football is often fickle and transient game, people move on.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

I don't think that Ayling and Dallas should be moved on - Dallas is Mr Versatile, and Ayling is a pretty good RB. A LB on the other hand is a priority.

I think that Klich and Cooper should be more squad players next season - I really hope that Struijk is not dropped for Cooper in the next game, as I think Liam's positioning and pace are suspect in the PL.

I would sell Alioski and not buy Harrison, as I think we need an upgrade on that left wing.Harrison is far too hit and miss for me. Alioski's contract is up soon anyway, so better to cash in now. I don't really rate Alio as either a winger or a LB.

I think the club should stop wasting wages on players like Casilla and Forshaw. I would sooner Dallas was the second choice keeper than Kiko.. :) I would drop Harrison for the next game and give Costa a chance to prove that he is worth keeping on his very high wages.

We need another striker, LB and CM for definite, plus cover for Phillips. If Bamford got injured then we would be in big trouble, plus he needs to be rested from time to time. I hope the likes of Gelhardt are given some game time before now and the end of the season, as the club may end up saving on some big transfer fees if one or two of the youngsters make an instant impression.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

Overman wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:15 am But you're not sat in the changing room and can only assume that's what the reaction may be.
It is an assumption. As was your assertion that dumping players like Ayling, Cooper and Klich was a positive move. It may well be that in time they need to be moved, but I think the risks in dumping players while a team is on the rise and bringing in new faces far outweigh the benefits of giving them every chance to see how far they can go, and at that stage doing a cost benefit analysis.