The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 26th February) Bielsa keen on Nkoulou reunion

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 26th February) Bielsa keen on Nkoulou reunion

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 26th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa keen on Nkoulou reunion

Leeds are keen on signing Torino centre-back Nicolas Nkoulou this Summer. The centre back is in the final year of his contract, and will be available on a free transfer in the summer. It appears that one of the options on the table could well be Leeds. According to reports in Italian media outlet Calciomercato, Bielsa is keen on being reunited with the 30 year old. Bielsa is no stranger to the Cameroon International. He worked with him during his tenure at Marseille

Nkoulou began his career at Kadji Sports Academy in Douala, the same academy that produced the likes of Samuel Eto'o and Eric Djemba-Djemba. Reports also suggest Everton, and Leicester City are all keeping tabs on Nkoulou.

Leeds should bin 'non existent' Rodrigo - Kevin Phillips

Former England International Striker Kevin Phillips believes Leeds record signing Rodrigo has been a flop since his record breaking 30m transfer from Valencia last Summer. When asked for his thoughts on the 30yo's future amid interest from Juventus, Phillips said:-

If Juventus are interested in signing Rodrigo I think Leeds would be tempted. It has not worked out. He has been injury prone so they might look to get him off their books. Leeds may just park that one and go for someone else. He has been non-existent this season which is a shame because we never really got to see him at his best. “If they can do a deal at the end of the season I am sure that they will.

If Leeds were able to recoup most of what they paid for Rodrigo, would you welcome his exit from Elland Road? The Spanish International has of course been playing out of position at Elland Road this season due to the incredible form of Patrick Bamford. Is Rodrigo worth 100k a week? If Rodrigo were to move on to pastures new, there are two players who Bielsa and Victor Orta are both keen on; Douglas Costa and Julian Draxler!

Having dropped down the pecking order at Juventus, the Brazilian winger has been loaned out to German giants Bayern Munich. He has made 11 appearances this term, netting once. Do Leeds need another winger? Draxler is a natural attacking midfielder, a position that Leeds have found it difficult to fill. Victor Orta tried to sign the German International last Summer, but the 27yo wanted to fight for his place at PSG.

He will be out of contract in the Summer, which will obviously attract many top European clubs, yet the lure of Bielsa and Premiership football must be temping. We all know that Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani and PSG President Nasser Al-Khelaifi are close, but lets not forget the relationship between Bielsa and PSG's Manager Mauricio Pochettino!

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 26th February) Bielsa keen on Nkoulou reunion

Post by HarryofOz »

According to Italian media outlet Calciomercato, Everton, and Leicester City are all keeping tabs on Nkoulou.
So where are Leeds and Bielsa mentioned?

Congratulations to Kevin Phillips. He has achieved what was previously thought impossible. Demonstrated that he knows less about football than Noel Whelan.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 26th February) Bielsa keen on Nkoulou reunion

Post by The Subhuman »

Why would you ask Kevin Phillips anything about Leeds? Bit like asking me about Rugby League....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Has Rodrigo been a faliure?

He was unfortunate to get Covid and he's picked up an injury recently but I would not say he is injury prone. Raph has certainly been better value but I woudn't call Rodrigo a faliure. I like him!
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

We’ve not seen much of Rodrigo so far this season so in that respect I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him. He’s shown a bit of promise despite not having played in his favoured position but, of course, we’ve had no where near our money’s worth so far.

In the games he has played he’s made some clever turns (occasionally leaving players for dead), has generally linked up play reasonably well and looked to have be developing a promising partnership with Raphinha but I’m concerned about his straight line speed, looks a bit too slow to me. If you take into account the fact that he is possibly injury prone as well and on £100k a week (is he really?) then if we get an offer around what we paid for him then yes, I probably would be tempted.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

When I first read today's debate I thought the quote was from Kalvin Phillips! I was thinking "blimey that's gonna cause a rift in the squad" It was only when I looked more closely i realised it was Kevin :oops:
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

If all our new signings can get fit, stay fit and have the same impact as Raph, we will have a very useful squad of players.
There Is Only One United.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

That's very harsh on Rodrigo but he's definitely not been worth what we paid for him so far...given his age I would definitely take it if we could get close to what we paid for him
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Give Rod the time that the rest have playing under Bielsa and he will be worth it.

Just do not allow him ( and this goes for Dallas, Klich. Ali, Koch, Llorente, Cooper Meslier, Roberts and Phillips) to go on International duty next month.

Its too risky
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Depending on the offer, I would say Rodrigo has a price... primarily due to his age, certainly not his ability, which I believe is considerable.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 am When I first read today's debate I thought the quote was from Kalvin Phillips! I was thinking "blimey that's gonna cause a rift in the squad" It was only when I looked more closely i realised it was Kevin :oops:
So did I
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Chilli D wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 am When I first read today's debate I thought the quote was from Kalvin Phillips! I was thinking "blimey that's gonna cause a rift in the squad" It was only when I looked more closely i realised it was Kevin :oops:
:roflmao: I had to look twice.

I guess if i was talking about value for money i would say i am personally disappointed with Rodrigo's contribution so far. Was he bought in to challenge Bamford? Honestly on his performances so far he's a useful squad member but nothing more yet. If we are looking to bring in Midfield players in the summer then he could be scratching his head thinking where am i going to play. He has shown quality on the ball but imo is not quite the dynamic combative midfielder we need.
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Kevin Phillips can do one. Like most articles, total clickbait.

As for Rodrigo, I wouldn't say he's injury prone. The last time he was out was due to Covid, so the niggle he has now is the only injury whilst with us. I think with a full pre-season under his belt working on forging that telepathic link that Bielsa players need, he will be a baller for us next season, whether played as a 10, 9, or false 9. There's more to come from him.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Rodrigo Moreno has done ok, just ok mind you and i would have expected more from our record signing.

But i dont think he suits the system and is having to adapt, thats the issue

For me and said the same before, we got the wrong Rodrigo.

We needed De Paul more than Moreno imo and we got that wrong, havent changed my mihd on that
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom