Is it right NHS staff are being offered only a 1% salary increase?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Right
21%
Wrong
79%

Total votes: 14

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 07.59.06.png

The government has made its submission to the NHS Pay Review Body. But the fact that ministers think a 1% pay rise is reasonable has angered health unions.

One nurse, Carmel O'Boyle, said she was "disgusted".

"We just want something that reflects the work that we do. We want a fair wage and I don't think the government understands at all what the nursing workforce does," she said.

"I understand it is a very difficult year for the whole world... but this is a political decision," she added.

A 1% increase wound equate to £3.40 a week.

During the pandemic nurses & ward staff have being working beyond the call of duty making many personal sacrifices risking their own lives without any extra pay.

Yes the government finances are strapped with the economy under extreme pressure due to consequences of coronavirus.

No doubt politicians who are on a annual a annual salary of 100k will be offering themselves more than 1% in the future.
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Is it right NHS staff are being offered only a 1% salary increase?

Post by HarryofOz »

Of course it's not right. And if you set up a poll 90% would say it wasn't right.

But ask the 90% to pay more tax or support higher taxes generally, and most will say 'no way'.
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
danhirons
First Team
First Team

Post by danhirons »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:12 am Screenshot 2021-03-05 at 07.59.06.png

The government has made its submission to the NHS Pay Review Body. But the fact that ministers think a 1% pay rise is reasonable has angered health unions.

One nurse, Carmel O'Boyle, said she was "disgusted".

"We just want something that reflects the work that we do. We want a fair wage and I don't think the government understands at all what the nursing workforce does," she said.

"I understand it is a very difficult year for the whole world... but this is a political decision," she added.

A 1% increase wound equate to £3.40 a week.

During the pandemic nurses & ward staff have being working beyond the call of duty making many personal sacrifices risking their own lives without any extra pay.

Yes the government finances are strapped with the economy under extreme pressure due to consequences of coronavirus.

No doubt politicians who are on a annual a annual salary of 100k will be offering themselves more than 1% in the future.
"A 1% increase wound equate to £3.40 a week."

I hate statements like this - what does that even mean - before tax, after tax - does every person in the NHS earn the same amount - presumably not - why reduce it the amount per week?

1 per cent doesn't seem a lot though - especially for what they've been through this year, although I would suggest they do great jobs every year and so more like a one off bonus payment would be more justified for their work over the corona period

although I hope you realise that the money for the pay rises will only come from increased taxation/NI contributions

I live in Germany (although born in the UK) - and so this doesn't affect me at all - here we pay a lot more for healthcare each month but it naturally follows that the healthcare system is a lot better
1964white

Post by 1964white »

danhirons wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:26 am "A 1% increase wound equate to £3.40 a week."

I hate statements like this - what does that even mean - before tax, after tax - does every person in the NHS earn the same amount - presumably not - why reduce it the amount per week?

1 per cent doesn't seem a lot though - especially for what they've been through this year, although I would suggest they do great jobs every year and so more like a one off bonus payment would be more justified for their work over the corona period

although I hope you realise that the money for the pay rises will only come from increased taxation/NI contributions

I live in Germany (although born in the UK) - and so this doesn't affect me at all - here we pay a lot more for healthcare each month but it naturally follows that the healthcare system is a lot better
We are going to be taxed to the hilt in the future anyway & no doubt it will be the low paid workers hit the hardest Dan
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

This is were it will all kick off now... No one, anywhere has yet seen the financial fall out from this pandemic... if everyone wants pay raises then be prepared for massive tax increases, as the money has to come from somewhere... the politicions have an added problem... It would be in their own interest to put a pay freeze on themselves, unless they want to see a civil up rising... I cant see Canadian politico's doing that... even at municipal level, our local council raised taxes, then followed it the next month approving their own pay raise... bless em... :rant:
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
FEAR NAUGHT
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:23 am Of course it's not right. And if you set up a poll 90% would say it wasn't right.

But ask the 90% to pay more tax or support higher taxes generally, and most will say 'no way'.
Poll up Harry
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Very much wrong imo!

They deserve so much more

A 1% increase will result in dedicated people walking away from the NHS
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

Wrong question IMO on the poll... it goes without saying it is wrong and an insult... I thought Harry asked " if you were asked to pay additional taxes to cover it , would you "?
FEAR NAUGHT
JayKayDubu
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by JayKayDubu »

No it's not right..I work for the NHS as a nurse. On a covid ward. Everyone that works there is worn out because we're having to do extra shifts all the time. It's a constant case of people return from sick go off sick, have to self isolate..The atmosphere on the ward is optimistic but it's not easy with people dying every other day on the ward.
Now we hear yet again that were not getting a decent pay rise again is just astonishing...I imagine that the politicians are going to find it hard not to give themselves a pay rise as they didn't last year....
Total joke.....
Fridge
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Fridge »

Meanwhile the govt is dishing out billions in dodgy contracts to their mates...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Smudge3920 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:41 am Wrong question IMO on the poll... it goes without saying it is wrong and an insult... I thought Harry asked " if you were asked to pay additional taxes to cover it , would you "?
So we are questioning the title header not the the issue

I provided a poll at Harry's request, I changed a title header at Faaip's request yesterday

But I refuse to bow down to everybody's whims or else I may well as become a robot ;-)

Simple question....right or wrong?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fridge wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:06 am Meanwhile the govt is dishing out billions in dodgy contracts to their mates...
Indeed they are Fridge.

The government spent millions on building unused hospitals then they suddenly realised they had inadequate resources to work within the new facilities.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

JayKayDubu wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:05 am No it's not right..I work for the NHS as a nurse. On a covid ward. Everyone that works there is worn out because we're having to do extra shifts all the time. It's a constant case of people return from sick go off sick, have to self isolate..The atmosphere on the ward is optimistic but it's not easy with people dying every other day on the ward.
Now we hear yet again that were not getting a decent pay rise again is just astonishing...I imagine that the politicians are going to find it hard not to give themselves a pay rise as they didn't last year....
Total joke.....
I feel for you as will much of our nation Jaykay

Thank you for all your hard endeavours & working beyond the call of duty in such horrific circumstances.

Good luck for the future :tup:
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Smudge3920 »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 am So we are questioning the title header not the the issue

I provided a poll at Harry's request, I changed a title header at Faaip's request yesterday

But I refuse to bow down to everybody's whims or else I may well as become a robot ;-)

No milk for your corn flakes this morning ?... :P ... I already said it was an insult ...are you prepared to pay extra taxes?
FEAR NAUGHT
HarryofOz
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by HarryofOz »

I didn't intend to request a poll. I raised the issue of the answers that public polls on issues like this usually come up with. But when it comes to election day, people vote for less tax,
A Roman walks into a bar, sticks two fingers in the air and says 'five beers please'.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

A right kick in the teeth for all those on the front line.Maybe for the non-productive pen pushers its reasonable.And don,t get me started adout nurse,s and doctors having to pay the rip off car parking charges while saving lives.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 am So we are questioning the title header not the the issue

You did the right thing changing the title yesterday as that was libel. You categorically said Meghan was bully, there was no question mark, no title saying Meghan Markle accused of bullying. The latter would have been the correct title for the thread
Honey dipped flim flam
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:48 am A right kick in the teeth for all those on the front line.Maybe for the non-productive pen pushers its reasonable.And don,t get me started adout nurse,s and doctors having to pay the rip off car parking charges while saving lives.
Appalling EY.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:52 am You did the right thing changing the title yesterday as that was libel. You categorically said Meghan was bully, there was no question mark, no title saying Meghan Markle accused of bullying. The latter would have been the correct title for the thread
:tup:

Copy & paste job, should have edited the title
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:24 am :tup:

Copy & paste job, should have edited the title
No worries.
Honey dipped flim flam