West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Phillips in for Struijk, Berardi & Rodrigo make the bench

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:28 am Looking at the calibre of question, it's not that in depth.
Think of the 50 something waccoers with humour levels of a 15 something.
Where are you seeing the questions?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:35 am If I were Leon, I wouldn't bother.
It won't be his thing , for sure
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:37 am Where are you seeing the questions?
http://www.westhamonline.net/forum_flat.php?9692626||1||
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jeez, that's unreadable ..... Yeah you're not going to get reasoned discussion there so not a lot of point.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:47 am Jeez, that's unreadable ..... Yeah you're not going to get reasoned discussion there so not a lot of point.
I would think Alf filters them but not a lot to go on there so far. Don't get me wrong banter is great but some of that is cringeworthy at best.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:04 am I would think Alf filters them but not a lot to go on there so far. Don't get me wrong banter is great but some of that is cringeworthy at best.
Just realised it goes from the bottom up .....ahh context realised
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

For me West Ham = Booby Moore, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst and Trevor Brooking. Brooking is one of my all time favourite players - a brilliant two footed player. Brooking together with Glenn Hoddle were England's most talented midfielders of the late 70s and 80s. Hoddle was a worthy successor to Brooking in the England team.

It's also the club that we signed Rio Ferdinand from.

Talking about Hoddle has there ever been a better English passer of the ball ? His range of passing and his vision was incredible, as was his ability to make those long passes with backspin which dropped right into the path of the forward...I've never seen a player with that kind of ability in the domestic game since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdwesPS0vgg
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hector

Post by hector »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:23 am

Talking about Hoddle has there ever been a better English passer of the ball ? His range of passing and his vision was incredible, as was his ability to make those long passes with backspin which dropped right into the path of the forward...I've never seen a player with that kind of ability in the domestic game since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdwesPS0vgg
Tony Currie was not too far behind Glen with that passing ability, IMHO
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:28 pm Have you checked your junk mail folder? Emails like that often get moved there automatically.
As in West Spam ? ;-)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Spammers
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

hector wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:50 am Tony Currie was not too far behind Glen with that passing ability, IMHO
:tup: Both super talented players.

With Glenn it was back spin, top spin, side spin, no spin, left foot, right foot. He could hit a coin from 60 yards...Like you say, Currie wasn't that far behind.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:39 am It won't be his thing , for sure
Some of the Hammers fans are not very welcoming, I've tried to log-on to no avail.

Alfs hasn't returned in the last 15 hours, maybe he's had a change of heart.

Have a feeling I would endure a hammering tbh!
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

I'd worry about getting a virus from that site. Given the formatting looks like it is from the era of Internet 1.0, the code must be older than some of our youngest members on here so I'd worry about just how secure that code is.
Alfs
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Alfs »

I thought I'd put the questions on here for anyone who would like to answer them. WHO, as mentioned, is very old school, hardcore. But no longer 'hard'. We're mostly that old that in a pissing contest the winner is normally the one that managed to get it over his shoes.

Some Qs are serious, some banter. Treat them as you will and feel free to take the piss. The article is meant to entertain as well as inform.

The deadline is midnight, tonight.

Many thanks in advance.

Why can’t Bielsa speak English yet?
Cup of Tea

What do you think will happen to you when Bielsa leaves? Is there another manager who could get the same level of performance from that group of players?
The Straw

Back in the day, with the likes of Bremner and Hunter, you had a reputation as being a dirty team. That can’t be said of you now. Do you prefer that label of old (dirty Leeds) or do you quite like this new incarnation of Clean Leeds?
Charley Farley and others.

Brian Clough is my favourite Leeds manager. Do you regret letting him go after only 44 days?
Gph

What 3 players would you take from West Ham to improve your starting 11.
One All

Does it bother you that you have to walk past a statue of a ginger Scottish midget on the way to a home game?
Lowermarsh Hammer

Tony Yeboah Vs Patrick Bamford. The winner is?
Geoffpikey

What’s your view of our massive club West Ham?

Are you happy with Leeds owners?

Would you sell us your keeper?
Max Martello

We spunked our Rio money up the wall. What did you do with yours?
Hammer and Pickle

When do you expect to get relegated again?
Branded

Do you have any idea why WHO member, Manuel, is such a tedious cxxx?
Joey5000

Did any of you attend Upton Park when Billy Bremner came up against Andy Malcolm?
Mr Kenzo

After Rice took the absolute piss out of Phillips when we played you at your gaff .... do you still think Phillips is better?
Norflundon

What's going on with the fxxxxxx haircuts in your team? Looks like Sunday league at the fxxxxxxx burns unit.
Vexed

What’s your view of West Ham as a club?

Your score prediction for Monday?

What are your favourite crisps, and do you think that the mobos are racist?
Darlo Debs

And finally,

I haven’t got any friends, no one respects me, and I’ve recently been replaced by a talking till in Poundland. If I became a Leeds supporter can you promise me that my life would be better? I’ll try anything.
Manuel

I'll be back to collect the answers and will then edit.

Good luck on Monday (which, in rhyming slang means 'I hope Bamford breaks his leg in the warm-up).

COYI
Alfs
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Alfs »

Lumiukko wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:06 pm I'd worry about getting a virus from that site. Given the formatting looks like it is from the era of Internet 1.0, the code must be older than some of our youngest members on here so I'd worry about just how secure that code is.
I promise you that you won't, Lumiukko. I've used it for 25 years and have never had a problem. You're right though. It's ancient, and what's worse, the site admin went AWOL a couple of years back and I've discovered, through 1964s message, that no one new can get in. We're the Titanic of football forums, slowly sinking into the icy depths.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Alfs wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:11 am I thought I'd put the questions on here for anyone who would like to answer them. WHO, as mentioned, is very old school, hardcore. But no longer 'hard'. We're mostly that old that in a pissing contest the winner is normally the one that managed to get it over his shoes.

Some Qs are serious, some banter. Treat them as you will and feel free to take the piss. The article is meant to entertain as well as inform.

The deadline is midnight, tonight.

Many thanks in advance.

Why can’t Bielsa speak English yet?
Cup of Tea

Don't think a cockney is ever in a position to question anyone's ability to speak English.

What do you think will happen to you when Bielsa leaves? Is there another manager who could get the same level of performance from that group of players?
The Straw

No, no other manager would have got more out of this squad. Of the 11 players who have played the most minutes for us this season 5 of them were part of statistically a bottom 3 Championship team in the calendar year Pre Bielsa and 1 had been farmed out on loan prior to MB arriving, that goes to show what a job Bielsa has done. Dont like to think of what will happen when MB goes.

Back in the day, with the likes of Bremner and Hunter, you had a reputation as being a dirty team. That can’t be said of you now. Do you prefer that label of old (dirty Leeds) or do you quite like this new incarnation of Clean Leeds?
Charley Farley and others.

Bit uncomfortable with the media darling stuff in truth, doesnt suit us.

Brian Clough is my favourite Leeds manager. Do you regret letting him go after only 44 days?
Gph

I wasnt born i cant comment.

What 3 players would you take from West Ham to improve your starting 11.
One All

Di Canio, Payet and Ian Wright.

Does it bother you that you have to walk past a statue of a ginger Scottish midget on the way to a home game?
Lowermarsh Hammer

Does it bother you that you have no home and play in a soulless Athletics stadium?

Tony Yeboah Vs Patrick Bamford. The winner is?
Geoffpikey

Bamford, although i think Tony could still take him in a game of tiddlywinks.

What’s your view of our massive club West Ham?

A slightly less neanderthal Millwall.

Are you happy with Leeds owners?

Radz yes generally although he has made mistakes. The 49ers absolutely not I'd love them gone, dont trust them at all.

Would you sell us your keeper?
Max Martello

Yes, i will even give him a packed lunch for the journey.

You will love Kiko Casilla

We spunked our Rio money up the wall. What did you do with yours?
Hammer and Pickle

Bought some fish i think.

When do you expect to get relegated again?
Branded

Could ask you the same question.

Do you have any idea why WHO member, Manuel, is such a tedious cxxx?
Joey5000

Because he is a member of the World Health Organisation and they are all quite dull I'd imagine.

Did any of you attend Upton Park when Billy Bremner came up against Andy Malcolm?
Mr Kenzo

Alf wasnt lying, you are all really really old.

After Rice took the absolute piss out of Phillips when we played you at your gaff .... do you still think Phillips is better?
Norflundon

Rice played well in fairness, good player. Better than KP? Hmmm

What's going on with the fxxxxxx haircuts in your team? Looks like Sunday league at the fxxxxxxx burns unit.
Vexed

Your name suits you, far more important things to worry about, calm down.

What’s your view of West Ham as a club?

Decent working class club, decent history without many actual accolades. Green Street was a class film.

Your score prediction for Monday?

Lets go 2-2.

What are your favourite crisps, and do you think that the mobos are racist?
Darlo Debs

Smokey bacon.

And finally,

I haven’t got any friends, no one respects me, and I’ve recently been replaced by a talking till in Poundland. If I became a Leeds supporter can you promise me that my life would be better? I’ll try anything.
Manuel

First line sounds like a typical West Ham fan.

I'll be back to collect the answers and will then edit.

Good luck on Monday (which, in rhyming slang means 'I hope Bamford breaks his leg in the warm-up).

COYI
Last edited by Cjay on Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Lumiukko
First Team
First Team

Post by Lumiukko »

Alfs wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:37 am I promise you that you won't, Lumiukko. I've used it for 25 years and have never had a problem. You're right though. It's ancient, and what's worse, the site admin went AWOL a couple of years back and I've discovered, through 1964s message, that no one new can get in. We're the Titanic of football forums, slowly sinking into the icy depths.
:) :) I think with Twitter being prevalent that's the way most forums are headed, sadly.
Alfs
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Alfs »

Some excellent answers there, CJAY, and great comebacks!

Thanks for taking the time.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Had a reet old giggle at the banter.

Of course Brian Clough leaving after 44 days was a blow to the LUFC trophy cabinet, providing his success at Forest replicated itself at Leeds. His mouth was just too big and he wouldn't shut it.

Is midget a pun on Billy's mother Bridget or in reference to his 1.65m stature?

Hmm... it's the bubble blowing Gollum vs Bucket Boy Bielsa and 3 precious points that mean more to WHU than they do to LUFC, whom have already over achieved even without the addition of Lingard and Soucek in midfield and a cresswell at Leftback.

Whatever the score on Monday LUFC are safe from the drop and a loss means nothing. The small London club going nowhere, reflected by their most famous fan being a closet spurs supporter, cannot afford to drop points to a yorkshire outfit decimated by injuries to the midfield. Should Leeds claim the spoils Gollum could be out of a job sooner rather than later, thrown from a sinking ship that leaves only bursting bubbles as a reminder of what could have been.

Next year we'll see a strengthened Leeds burst your bubble and send you right back to that same wall you pissed Rio's transfer money against.
If you don't know where you are going, every road will get you nowhere.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Can't really see us getting anything out of this game or the next one, unfortunately. It'll be 3 league losses in a row for the first time this season and #bielsaout will be trending the second the final whistle goes after the Chelsea game.