Covid

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Covid passports

Yes
45%
No
48%
Don't know
7%

Total votes: 44

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Covid Wars

Post by The Subhuman »

Leeds1000 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:13 am Remember the media sensationalism about Long Covid. Symptoms very similar to that of a cold or a hangover or just the feeling of being worn down. Interesting article from BON from Spiked online about it.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/09/1 ... id-a-myth/

Again the media should be ashamed of the coverage imo. I don't know how many people would have been made a long covid statistic for ringing in work with a hangover. :)
Is that the news that at least 50% of people purporting to be suffering from long Covid, aren't at all ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Last night was scary having to go through a packed bar of p*ssed up Leeds fans all singing their heads off to reach the toilets. I felt a bit weird as I was the only one who wore a mask on the coach journey & one of few in the ground I suspect.

They think it's all over :roll:
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

It will never be over I'm afraid 64.
It's something we will have to learn to live with for generations to come.
The vaccine is our only hope of ever getting back to some sort of normality or just rely on herd immunity and be prepared for many more people to die until it eventually works it's way through.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Johnboy1965 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:46 pm It will never be over I'm afraid 64.
It's something we will have to learn to live with for generations to come.
The vaccine is our only hope of ever getting back to some sort of normality or just rely on herd immunity and be prepared for many more people to die until it eventually works it's way through.
If we as a society had behaved a bit more patiently & cautiously we could have beaten this horrible virus by now.

Thank god for the vaccine which has certainly given us the opportunity to lead a normal life to a certain degree.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 pm If we as a society had behaved a bit more patiently & cautiously we could have beaten this horrible virus by now.

Was never gonna happen Leon, we live in a grabbing, selfish, me, me, me society now.
People couldn't wait for pubs to re open, they flocked there without giving a dam for anyone else.

I live in an area of outstanding natural beauty ( as you well know because you and Jill have visited me and my local ). My local was one of the most popular pubs in Suffolk even before the Covid staycation spiral. On bank holidays cars would be parked all the way up our lane, that's Ok, we expect that. But what we didnt expect was the influx of so called staycation visitors who suddenly found our beauty spot! Now..... we are not a village, but merely a very small sailing hamlet, where people live, hello, people live!.... and to be invaded like that with every Tom, Dick and Harry was nothing short of disgraceful. Parking over peoples drives, on peoples land, parking and knocking down bollards, removing cones, removing wheelybins to park, turning round in my drive....you name it they did it. Cyclists ripping down signs (stating no bikes) in our National Trust woodland so they could speed through our footpaths (which is illegal)...really awful behaviour by some. In fact, friends of ours, a couple have moved out this month because they are so sick and tired of this selfish invasion!
Yep, the selfish me me me......sorry, but I don't want them anywhere near me.
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:23 am Was never gonna happen Leon, we live in a grabbing, selfish, me, me, me society now.
People couldn't wait for pubs to re open, they flocked there without giving a dam for anyone else.

I live in an area of outstanding natural beauty ( as you well know because you and Jill have visited me and my local ). My local was one of the most popular pubs in Suffolk even before the Covid staycation spiral. On bank holidays cars would be parked all the way up our lane, that's Ok, we expect that. But what we didnt expect was the influx of so called staycation visitors who suddenly found our beauty spot! Now..... we are not a village, but merely a very small sailing hamlet, where people live, hello, people live!.... and to be invaded like that with every Tom, Dick and Harry was nothing short of disgraceful. Parking over peoples drives, on peoples land, parking and knocking down bollards, removing cones, removing wheelybins to park, turning round in my drive....you name it they did it. Cyclists ripping down signs (stating no bikes) in our National Trust woodland so they could speed through our footpaths (which is illegal)...really awful behaviour by some. In fact, friends of ours, a couple have moved out this month because they are so sick and tired of this selfish invasion!
I can relate to that. I grew up in the East End of London with a stunning view of the gasworks and Regents Canal. The sunsets were something to beheld. My local the Anchor and No Hope, was an establishment where you'd be guaranteed a good dose of gut rot and where you could procure almost anything. Then came the culture thieves, firstly the yuppies and then the hipsters with their crap beards, micro breweries and dodgy tattoos.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

As part of my stroke therapy I have to improve my speech or try to improve my speech by reciting poems... here is seaside staycation by Roger McGough.
Seaside Staycation
by Roger McGough

We made it to the beach at 5am and set about our tasks.
Mine to erect the windbreaker using anti-bacterial masks
The kids to build sandcastles in a circle round our plot
While my wife dug out the trench then went to fetch the Rot.

(We call it Ruby, though the dog is a he,
as fearsome as a borrowed rottweiler can be.)

Safe in our bubble, no super-spreaders we,
Anti-social distancing we had down to a T.
Lying low on our lilos, the kids on their phones
Ruby barking at seagulls or gnawing at their bones.

At 8 a.m., music blaring, we were settled and prepared
To scare away the vanguard of the incoming herd.
The union jack fluttering marked our domain
When, at 8.15 precisely came the first drops of rain.

What began as a breeze turned into a gale
The spatter of raindrops, the staccato of hail.
A hurricane in a hurry came within reach
As clouds retched and vomited all over the beach.

The trench filled with water, the sandcastles subsided
When the windbreaker took flight, we took fright and decided
Enough was enough, so we lowered the flag
Wrapped it round our pasties and stuck it in the bag.

The car park, a marina with a single white boat
Our van as it happens, already afloat.
Seaside staycations? Never again.
The day after tomorrow we’re leaving for Spain.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

chasing ceremony/convincing myself
by Hollie McNish

i’ll not get to your funeral.
that’s fine.

i know you’ll not make mine.
you hate the fussing anyway.
your favourite colour’s yellow
not black.

on your street, when next door died
too soon before you did
neighbours clapped the passing hearse
as if the corpse were on a royal tour
you turned towards your daughters

here –
don’t you dare do that for me

hair cradled into rollers
each night until the night you left
still lifting life with curls

the laws do not allow me
to stand and watch a lifetime
exit puppet-show-sized curtains
as tears try to console each other
two metres apart;

the only good things
are the sandwich platters
afterwards, anyway,
and we can’t even have those

so i’ll celebrate you here
three hundred miles from home

wear that butter-coloured jumper
you once said made me pretty
wallow in self-pity
as if your loss is all my loss

let lips tremble all they want
eyes swell to embarrassed red
too obvious a grief to meet with any friends
even with the recommended
coffin space between us

no need for all that, huh?
who cares about it, right?
i already said i love you
so many times in life:

each time i said i love you;
each postcard that i sent;
each nightie that you lent me;
each evening that we wasted
watching prerecords of countdown
at a volume that i’m almost sure
has pierced some of my eardrum;
in refining just that splash of milk
to slightly hint your tea with
till you looked inside the cup again
and smiled, and said that’s perfect
Last edited by rab_rant on Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I still think the same way as weasel
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:23 am Was never gonna happen Leon, we live in a grabbing, selfish, me, me, me society now.

How horrible for you Swannie in your lovely little hamlet. We live in these quiet places to avoid the masses, fortunately there are no attractions here for the townies to invade our lovely village. We also have a lovely caring neighnourhood.

I see enough of the yob element when I attend Leeds matches, that's enough for me!

Easy to see why Covid is still prevalent!
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 am I see enough of the yob element when I attend Leeds matches, that's enough for me!

Easy to see why Covid is still prevalent!
yeah those vaccinated yobs think they are free to do anything... trampling around like a herd of wild buffalo... thinking that vaccination has bought them freedom.🤪
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Overman wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:24 am I can relate to that. I grew up in the East End of London with a stunning view of the gasworks and Regents Canal. The sunsets were something to beheld. My local the Anchor and No Hope, was an establishment where you'd be guaranteed a good dose of gut rot and where you could procure almost anything. Then came the culture thieves, firstly the yuppies and then the hipsters with their crap beards, micro breweries and dodgy tattoos.
:lol:
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

[Tweet][/Tweet]

Good post, we too moved away from the city into the coastal countryside and have seen a massive influx of staycation traffic. We have convoys of mobile homes now, often blocking our drive while they decide whether they can park up or not. I’m a big bloke and still on a building site, so get a little kick from sauntering up to these guys with hammer in hand. Funny, I rarely get to ask if they need help with their map reading, since on noticing me coming in their direction they’ve usually gone by the time I reach the road.

I am, though, a hypocrite because I only found our village through being a tourist, so I am a wee bit conflicted.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Orange Box wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:40 pm [Tweet][/Tweet]

Good post, we too moved away from the city into the coastal countryside and have seen a massive influx of staycation traffic. We have convoys of mobile homes now, often blocking our drive while they decide whether they can park up or not. I’m a big bloke and still on a building site, so get a little kick from sauntering up to these guys with hammer in hand. Funny, I rarely get to ask if they need help with their map reading, since on noticing me coming in their direction they’ve usually gone by the time I reach the road.

I am, though, a hypocrite because I only found our village through being a tourist, so I am a wee bit conflicted.
Thanks OB

I'm sure you weren't a selfish tourist, causing damage to peoples property or National Trust woodlands. That's my issue here. We've always had many visitors where I live, and its not been a problem before, but since Covid there seems to be an element of people who don't give a dam....as 64 says, selfish folk, who don't give a monkey's or respect where folk live.

Any chance I could borrow your hammer..... :roflmao:

By the way, where we live is one of Mr Swans old stomping/sailing grounds, so I am not conflicted :)
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Orange Box wrote:

No need for the conflict old son - you sound like a regular bloke to me, with good instincts as to what works for you and yours, the way a man should be. Very amusing description btw. In fact your description of that event sounds just like the way I would have behaved if someone tried that on me.
My wife gets on at me sometimes and I tell her "you have to make them realise you mean what you say", because if you don't they'll take the p*ss.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Or another way of looking at it is that it's selfish and unreasonable of you to expect to enjoy an area of outstanding beauty to yourself, just because you're privileged enough to be able to afford to live there. You're not local to the area, so you must've been a tourist yourself once!

:P
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

rab_rant wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:54 am
chasing ceremony/convincing myself
by Hollie McNish

i’ll not get to your funeral.
that’s fine.

i know you’ll not make mine.
you hate the fussing anyway.
your favourite colour’s yellow
not black.

on your street, when next door died
too soon before you did
neighbours clapped the passing hearse
as if the corpse were on a royal tour
you turned towards your daughters

here –
don’t you dare do that for me

hair cradled into rollers
each night until the night you left
still lifting life with curls

the laws do not allow me
to stand and watch a lifetime
exit puppet-show-sized curtains
as tears try to console each other
two metres apart;

the only good things
are the sandwich platters
afterwards, anyway,
and we can’t even have those

so i’ll celebrate you here
three hundred miles from home

wear that butter-coloured jumper
you once said made me pretty
wallow in self-pity
as if your loss is all my loss

let lips tremble all they want
eyes swell to embarrassed red
too obvious a grief to meet with any friends
even with the recommended
coffin space between us

no need for all that, huh?
who cares about it, right?
i already said i love you
so many times in life:

each time i said i love you;
each postcard that i sent;
each nightie that you lent me;
each evening that we wasted
watching prerecords of countdown
at a volume that i’m almost sure
has pierced some of my eardrum;
in refining just that splash of milk
to slightly hint your tea with
till you looked inside the cup again
and smiled, and said that’s perfect
Sounds like you're doing really well, Rab. Good to see.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

SaraM wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:14 am Sounds like you're doing really well, Rab. Good to see.
I read that poem around about the time that my wife's mother died... her death was not related to covid just old age.

lots of people may have wanted to attend the funeral but the rule was that only a few people could attend in the chapel... covid restrictions.

death in itself is a stressful thing to handle but on top of that discussions had to be held with the authorities too allow close family members to attend, since people were not allowed to gather in groups of 15 or larger.

strange how covid rules impinge our ordinary lives. To compound matters certain masked family members wanted the reception to be held outside because of covid and others wanted it to be held inside.

that day it rained and it was held inside. the family members who wore masks did not attend... which made the funeral more sorrowful than it should have been.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Norm wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:01 am No need for the conflict old son - you sound like a regular bloke to me, with good instincts as to what works for you and yours, the way a man should be. Very amusing description btw. In fact your description of that event sounds just like the way I would have behaved if someone tried that on me.
My wife gets on at me sometimes and I tell her "you have to make them realise you mean what you say", because if you don't they'll take the p*ss.
:tup:
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.