Is it the perfect season?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Is it the perfect season?

Post by Mountain »

Leeds United have now won home and away v Sheffield United, Newcastle United and Fulham. They demolished West Brom away too and have to play them at home.

That's the 4 relegation candidates. Is Leeds remarkable success rate in that mini battle really just chance?

Now, any newly promoted team that hopes to stay up would say you have to win the games against relegation candidates, and other wins are a bonus. Part of me thinks Bielsa is so focussed, so tactical, that the success rate against relegation clubs isn't just chance but a deliberate strategy, and Leeds have played it to perfection. But maybe I'm seeing something that isn't really there and Leeds have just gone all out against every side and simply been more successful against weaker ones...
Velotrax

Re: Is it the perfect season?

Post by Velotrax »

No Season will ever be perfect, but we have certainly done ourselves proud and beaten my expectations of just surviving....
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

We've done what we needed to do to have a good season back in the top division for the first time in 16 years. We have done as well as can be expected from a promoted team in their first season back.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Velotrax

Post by Velotrax »

HarryofOz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:01 pm We've done what we needed to do to have a good season back in the top division for the first time in 16 years. We have done as well as can be expected from a promoted team in their first season back.
:tup:
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

I genuinely believe Bielsa fancies his chances against everyone in this division, I think he goes out believing every game is 3 points.

Certainly not a perfect season but one I’ve enjoyed more than any other in the last 15+ years because we have zero pressure to win the league and when we lose we don’t have concerns about losing points in the promotion race.

We’ve held our own with some great performances, we’ve made some decent signings and it’s been a no pressure season to savour
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Richard wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:05 pm I genuinely believe Bielsa fancies his chances against everyone in this division, I think he goes out believing every game is 3 points.

Certainly not a perfect season but one I’ve enjoyed more than any other in the last 15+ years because we have zero pressure to win the league and when we lose we don’t have concerns about losing points in the promotion race.

We’ve held our own with some great performances, we’ve made some decent signings and it’s been a no pressure season to savour
Spot on, especially about Bielsa. He doesn't go out to avoid defeat, he goes out to win.

As Jim Beglin said in commentary yesterday - Leeds don't have a Plan B, we seek to make Plan A better.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Enjoyed the season immensely, couldn't have gone better under the circumstances. 3 of the 4 new guys look right at home and upper prem worthy. Been unlucky so far with Rodders. Loved watching Kalvin and Dallas, Meslier a revelation and the back ups have performed at a mid prem level. All of them

We're top 3 for quality of attacking play imo, no team breaks better. Several candidates for premiership GOTS also
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Mountain wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:31 pm Leeds United have now won home and away v Sheffield United, Newcastle United and Fulham. They demolished West Brom away too and have to play them at home.

That's the 4 relegation candidates. Is Leeds remarkable success rate in that mini battle really just chance?

Now, any newly promoted team that hopes to stay up would say you have to win the games against relegation candidates, and other wins are a bonus.
Part of me thinks Bielsa is so focussed, so tactical, that the success rate against relegation clubs isn't just chance but a deliberate strategy, and Leeds have played it to perfection. But maybe I'm seeing something that isn't really there and Leeds have just gone all out against every side and simply been more successful against weaker ones...
IMO No mate
I think you are spot on, it is a deliberate tactic, albeit he does believe 3points is always possible.

As it is our first season back after 16 years we have no base line to work from at this level, but no one can deny it has been an outstanding return. And (as Faaip says) the signings from last summer settling in nicely the future does look indeed very bright.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I think i said at the start of the season we are in a 10 team league and if you look at the PL table, other than the surprise package in WH its probably what i would have expected so far. So we are top of my mini league and still looking to climb. Considering the finances about these days its a fantastic achievement for me.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

Mountain wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:31 pm Leeds United have now won home and away v Sheffield United, Newcastle United and Fulham. They demolished West Brom away too and have to play them at home.

Now, any newly promoted team that hopes to stay up would say you have to win the games against relegation candidates, and other wins are a bonus. Part of me thinks Bielsa is so focussed, so tactical, that the success rate against relegation clubs isn't just chance but a deliberate strategy, and Leeds have played it to perfection. But maybe I'm seeing something that isn't really there and Leeds have just gone all out against every side and simply been more successful against weaker ones...
Spot on Mountain, but you can add wins against lower half teams like Burnley, Palace and Southampton has really kept the pressure off.

We’ve played most of the season with our Championship winning team. That team would have fancied being able to manage the other promotion winning teams. The fact we turned out to be better than many of the existing lower level Premier League teams - you can lump the Blunts in here, was a huge bonus.

Having said that, they still had to go out and do it and it was done more emphatically than the score line often has shown. Mid table has been a mixed bag of could haves, should haves and some fine wins. Scalps like Leicester and Everton have been the cream. Another one or two here would be massive.

It has been a wonderful season. We’ve won admirers everywhere and a whole new cohort of fans thanks to Bielsa’s style and the quality and behaviour of the players. What’s not to love about it.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Mountain wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:31 pm That's the 4 relegation candidates. Is Leeds remarkable success rate in that mini battle really just chance?
With a lot of teams there isn't really much difference overall it just boils down to the teams doing better are better at taking their chances. Sheff Utd for example have struggle all season to score goals, they have rarely been outclassed and have lost the majority of their games by 1 goal. Throw a 15 goal striker into their team and they would have comfortably been out of the relegarion zone. Same with WBA who have struggled all season to score goals, barring yesterday.

Our style of play means we will always create chances but always prone to giving the opposition, no matter how bad, a chance or two. How many times over the last 3 years have we dominated a game yet lost or drawn with the opposition scoring from their only shot. As such we have beaten these bottom sides as they haven't had the quality to take their chances when they got them, plus they have been prone to making errors which we have punished (rather than us having to create 20 chances to get a goal).
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Once we’d proved that there was very little chance of relegation, which we did quite early on, there has has been relatively little pressure on us. A mid table finish was always going to be good enough in our first season back.

More pressure though from next season onwards to keep progressing and getting back to being amongst the front runners which, I believe, is what the thousands (millions?) of Leeds fans worldwide will be hoping for.
wilsdenwhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wilsdenwhite »

I can't ask for much more from this season but I will. Aside from our record against the lower sides we have also take a point against Man C, Chelsea & Arsenal and ran Liverpool close. This means the side can compete and is comfortable at this level even with the squad we have. Comfortable, but that is all. We've lost plenty but the next win was never far away. The next logical aim for this season for me and I think it is a realistic one, is to return 7 points from the next 5 games. I'd be really happy to take a win and a draw from whoever that may be involving the games against Man C, Liverpool, Man U & Spurs and a win at Brighton. Even 1 win against the big 4 there will do for me or even a couple of draws would be satisfactory and realistic. Can't wait for the next five games either way.
|||L|||E|||E|||D|||S|||
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

This has been the most enjoyable season for a very long time, very different from last year. Last year was fantastic, but I suffered at times almost as much as I rejoiced.

This season it has been an absolute joy watching our Championship side prove their mettle. The first two weeks were enough to convince me we wouldn't be relegated and ever since I've just sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed our first year back where we belong.

Little things, like knowing with absolute certainty that I'll be able to watch every game on television. Knowing that when I turn on the sports report I will get to see Leeds highlights and hear the commentators talk about our side. The fact that we have gone from being Dirty Leeds to being, if not everyone's favorite team, certainly everyone's second-favorite, is amazing. Very gratifying.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I predicted us to finish 10th and that's exactly where we are. It's been an excellent season for the most part.
Only winning every competition you are in can be described as a perfect season.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

We've competed extremely well with basically a championship team (apart from Raphinha).

10th is a magnificent achievement playing the best football in the PL.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

What a wonderful season it has been so far

Some tough games coming up though
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

We couldn't have wanted for much more could we?

A good win over one of the big boys before the end of the season would be nice; City, Liverpool, Scum, Spurs!
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

This was an article in the Times yesterday - I think it's an interesting summing up of the season so far, with some very good points.
Attachments
leeds2.jpg
leeds1.jpg
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

And interesting read, but it does irritate somewhat that journalists don't comment on our improvement in defence - including defending set pieces - in the last 15 games or so compared to the first 15 games or so.

But we should take heed of second season syndrome. Several teams survive the first season up and then go down. That is why I will be happy with another consolidating season next year, with our aim again to be comfortably mid-table.

And I have no doubt that Bielsa and Radz will bring in fresh talent over the summer. Not in huge numbers, but enough to give us that little boost in class to avoid second-season syndrome.