The LUFC Weekend Brunch Thread Post Match Debate. THEY FEAR NO ONE - Bielsa/Dallas/Llorente/Phillips/Marriner

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Breakfast Debate The LUFC Weekend Brunch Thread Post Match Debate. THEY FEAR NO ONE - Bielsa/Dallas/Llorente/Phillips/Marriner

Post by 1964white »

Yesterday's Breakfast debate got lost with so much going on :(

Screenshot 2021-04-11 08.42.48.png

Your reaction when Dallas scored in the 91st minute, was it mental?

How underrated is Stuart Dallas?

Dallas was probably worth a few hundred thousand £££ pre-Bielsa, how much now?

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.18.29.png

Was that a defensive masterclass display?

Now we can see why we spent £20m on Llorente, much more to come I suspect. How much difference has Llorente made to our defence?

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.28.39.png

Will Kalvin have convinced England fans how good is after his superb display against the best team in the PL?

Citeh's super wonder kid Foden came on. Anyone notice that Ayling didn't give him a kick?

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.13.59.png
Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.13.59.png (292.35 KiB) Viewed 1978 times

Bielsa, "Citeh deserve to win" what a man? Great to see him smiling/grinning

Did we deserve the three points?

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.24.42.png

Your thoughts on Andre Marriner?

• Cooper's red card?
  • Sterling's challenges on Raphinha/Meslier
  • Fernandinho awful challenge on Raphinha
  • Possible offside for Citeh's equaliser
  • 7 minutes added on time
  • Apart from Coops red card, no VAR reviews?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Weekend Brunch Thread - Post Match Debate

Post by HarryofOz »

Given the time here I normally restrain myself to a fist pump and a little dance when we score, but when Dallas scored I screamed out loud.

Never underrated Dallas

Superb defensive display

Bielsa is a quality human being as well as a great coach, as he has shown on countless occasions

We deserved the three points because we scored more goals than them which is the aim of the game. They played well and dominated the play even before the Cooper send off, so they can take credit in that, but we deserved to win because we scored more goals.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Screamed and ran around the house. Especially as we messed up two break aways beforehand. :lol:

Not sure he's underrated anymore!

£10m as he's 30. If he was a few years younger, it'd be double. Not sure why anyone would buy him though. No one would coach him like Bielsa.

Great defensive performance. We didn't switch off once or allow Man City to find space.

Llorente has made a huge difference, as he should being a Spain international. Keep him fit, and after a proper pre-season, we can push for top 7.

No. England fans and haters just have an issue with him because he plays for Leeds. If he played for top 6, they'd all be raving about him. Then again England fans didn't rate Carrick or Hargreaves either, so not really fussed. Let them fawn over Rice, who doesn't do anything Kalvin can't.

I think Foden is overrated. Typical English midfielder hyped up for scoring goals, like Mount. But you'd never see him control the midfield v France, Spain, Germany etc. He wouldn't get in any of their squads.

I don't think they deserved to win. They had more chances, but we created the better ones. The two Bamford ones in the first half, plus the three Raphinha break aways were better than blazing over the bar. Meslier didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary.

Marriner, like most refs in the PL, favours the top 6 sides. But I'd rather get three points than the decisions.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:54 am I don't think they deserved to win. They had more chances, but we created the better ones. The two Bamford ones in the first half, plus the three Raphinha break aways were better than blazing over the bar. Meslier didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary.
Yes we had a one on one opportunity plus three other breaks we could have scored from, tbh Meslier only had two saves to make against one of the best teams in Europe.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The LUFC Weekend Brunch Thread Post Match Debate. Bielsa/Dallas/Llorente/Phillips/Marriner

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 am Yesterday's Breakfast debate got lost with so much going on :(

Screenshot 2021-04-11 08.42.48.png

I was dignified and just had a little fist pump :)

Not much, he gets plenty of praise.

£10mil? 30 years old now wont be worth much.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.18.29.png

Yes, for all the domination City had Meslier didnt really have any major saves to make

Now we can see why we spent £20m on Llorente, much more to come I suspect. How much difference has Llorente made to our defence?

He has been very good, not perfect, he struggled physically a bit especially at set pieces but he is getting better at that.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.28.39.png

Will Kalvin have convinced England fans how good is after his superb display against the best team in the PL?

Unlikely, playing for us works for him, he doesnt suit the system Southgate uses.

Citeh's super wonder kid Foden came on. Anyone notice that Ayling didn't give him a kick?

Ayling did very well vs Foden, glad he didnt start though.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.13.59.png

He looked chuffed to bits bless him.

Yes, we had clearer openings.

Screenshot 2021-04-11 09.24.42.png

Shite

• Cooper's red card?
Fair.
Borderline
Red
Tight.
Biased
Weird.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: The LUFC Weekend Brunch Thread Post Match Debate. Bielsa/Dallas/Llorente/Phillips/Marriner

Post by Byebyegeegee »

[quote=1964white post_id=870505 time=1618129943 user_id=3349

• Cooper's red card?
[/quote]

May I be the 1st to thank and congratulate Andre Marriner (and VAR for that matter) on their abject performances yesterday? Having now had time to consider the game, I have come to the conclusion that their very obviously biased and, let’s not make any bones about it, corrupt display (although ruining the game as a spectacle for the neutrals) helped us to eventually win the game.

The perceived, no not perceived, their actual bias against them probably was the factor that galvanised our players and gave them a super human determination not to lose or even draw the game.

Mr Marriner I am delighted to say your cheating backfired spectacularly, so thank you!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I ran into the garden screaming to Jill "yes yes yes we've done it, good old Stuart Dallas again", raced back indoors to wind back the picture so I could watch the Leeds players celebrating in the corner

Ever since his performance in our 2nd leg of the Derby game ER I've always insisted he should be in our first XI, you could see the improvement in his game then. Imperative cog in our back four last season for me. One of the first names on the team sheet imo! I think it has taken a while for some of our fan base & the media to realise the importance of Stuart Dallas!

At least £20 million imo!

Burnley & Chelsea (H) were excellent but this performance was top drawer

Massive, looks like a organiser too which is important for any defence, can only become better as he adjusts to premier league football.

Those who know their football will realise the importance of Kalvin Phillips to Leeds & England

Excellent from Luke as I really rate Phil Foden, one of England's best footballers right now !

Marcelo happiness almost brought tears to my eyes

Most definitely

Words fail me, still astound now!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:55 am
May I be the 1st to thank and congratulate Andre Marriner (and VAR for that matter) on their abject performances yesterday? Having now had time to consider the game, I have come to the conclusion that their very obviously biased and, let’s not make any bones about it, corrupt display (although ruining the game as a spectacle for the neutrals) helped us to eventually win the game.

The perceived, no not perceived, their actual bias against them probably was the factor that galvanised our players and gave them a super human determination not to lose or even draw the game.

Mr Marriner I am delighted to say your cheating backfired spectacularly, so thank you!
A back-handed compliment Byebye :tup:
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

No compliment intended 64, I can assure you of that! Just a sarcastic indictment of the partial and inconsistent refereeing, aided and abetted by VAR, that is blighting the game of football.

We never have had the rub of the green with refereeing decisions for as long as I can remember and I’ve come not to expect to get the 50/50 calls but yesterday was a new low. Referees will, usually, at least try to give an impression of impartiality but Marriner didn’t even bother to try to hide his blatant bias.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:49 pm No compliment intended 64, I can assure you of that! Just a sarcastic indictment of the partial and inconsistent refereeing, aided and abetted by VAR, that is blighting the game of football.

We never have had the rub of the green with refereeing decisions for as long as I can remember and I’ve come not to expect to get the 50/50 calls but yesterday was a new low. Referees will, usually, at least try to give an impression of impartiality but Marriner didn’t even bother to try to hide his blatant bias.
Yes we've had some horrendous decisions go against us since the 60's.

The real concern is Marriner is regarded as one of our top officials.

An incident only an hour ago where a Newcastle player nearly got his block knocked off with a high boot, considered as dangerous play. No action taken.

Different referee & VAR team & of course it wasn't a Leeds player :(
Metro1962
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Metro1962 »

The best way of answering the questions below should be answered without a Leeds Utd hat/scarf on and so I have done so.

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:32 am

The same reaction I had when we got promoted from the Championship but x10 :lol:

Liked him before and still like him,He is a warhorse and he gives 100% every time even though we think he does not.

20-25 Million

I can see him in a team within the top 6 and he will be when we finish in the top 6 this season :)

Indeed but we do have a magician as manager

I had doubts when he was signed up but it has made it much tighter.

I go with a lot on here saying hmmm is a Leeds player etc etc etc

:roflmao: That is all I have to say really. :)

So humble and he has not finished with this team yet so should be there next season and I think his job will be done once we start bringing some silverware home but then again he might want even more.

After 55 minutes on constant pressure and down to 10 men yes we did,I can't believe we ONLY had 2 shots on target and scored from those two shots. :-D

I think the ref was guided by the rules but the rules need changing,Var is not the problem the rules are imo
  • Cooper's red card?
Deffo red card and I could see Cooper getting one at some point and was lucky not to give away a penalty when he tugged one of the City's players shirt in the penalty area.
Shocked that did not get reviewed by VAR

Goal opportunity so if I was the ref /reviewed by VAR a red from me
On replays and still frames I would say not offside as he looked to step back only to step up again
Interesting they added only 3 mins so no idea where that came from,Maybe someone had a bet on a City win or a 2-2 draw.
As above.
One thing that annoyed me was BT Sport commentary team seemed too much one sided towards Man City so much so I thought I was watching Man City TV. :lol: Was there a sponsorship deal done with City?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Metro1962 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:08 pm One thing that annoyed me was BT Sport commentary team seemed too much one sided towards Man City so much so I thought I was watching Man City TV. :lol: Was there a sponsorship deal done with City?
Ha ha it felt like we were watching MCTV :(
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

1964white wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:13 pm Yes we've had some horrendous decisions go against us since the 60's.

The real concern is Marriner is regarded as one of our top officials.

An incident only an hour ago where a Newcastle player nearly got his block knocked off with a high boot, considered as dangerous play. No action taken.

Different referee & VAR team & of course it wasn't a Leeds player :(
I’ve not seen that incident 64 but from how Aussieleeds described it on another thread, VAR said no action taken because the defender got the ball and “the attacker moved into his space”. That to me describes exactly the Cooper situation yesterday in that he (Cooper) got to the ball first and won it cleanly but due to his momentum it took him through to the attacking player who had moved into his space.

As I’ve said before I think perhaps a yellow card might have been appropriate but harsh, which to be fair is what Marriner initially gave (probably one of the few decisions he got right in the whole game) but VAR it seems had a different agenda. To me if you’re handing out red cards for tackles where the defender is first to the ball (not late) and wins it cleanly then players are not going to be able to tackle opponents at all.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:45 pm I’ve not seen that incident 64 but from how Aussieleeds described it on another thread, VAR said no action taken because the defender got the ball and “the attacker moved into his space”. That to me describes exactly the Cooper situation yesterday in that he (Cooper) got to the ball first and won it cleanly but due to his momentum it took him through to the attacking player who had moved into his space.

As I’ve said before I think perhaps a yellow card might have been appropriate but harsh, which to be fair is what Marriner initially gave (probably one of the few decisions he got right in the whole game) but VAR it seems had a different agenda. To me if you’re handing out red cards for tackles where the defender is first to the ball (not late) and wins it cleanly then players are not going to be able to tackle opponents at all.
And completely different to the Fernandinho challenge on Raphinha late on where Fernandinho had no intention of getting the ball but just clumsily and cynically intent on taking the man out.

I’m absolutely buzzing with the win yesterday one of, if not the best of Marcelo Bielsa’s tenure but I’m still angry with and bemused by the shocking standard of refereeing and inconsistency (always seemingly to our detriment) of VAR.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

My Reaction when we scored the winner
None. I was convinced we were going to hear that VAR was going to look at it.
Dallas. Not underrated by Northern Ireland fans who know what he is made of. But I am really pleased for him that he has been able to shine under Bielsa. Worth. Tricky, how much do you pay for a Prem League utility player. How much was Milner worth at 29?

Defensive masterclass. It was good, playing between them rather than man to man. Our lads will have learned loads. I was especially pleased to see how Koch was able to come in essentially nurse us through the final part of the match.
LLorente. Overall he has blended in better than Koch. His positioning is great and he is very good in transition. Worth every penny and at 27 could give Leeds 5 or 6 great years.

Kalvin. Stones was given the freedom of the Etihad yesterday and KP should have been able to stop him more often, especially in the first half.
Foden. Had no impact against a well drilled back 7

Bielsa, it was beautiful to see him smiling, even my missus commented on it. Proud of his team but humble in his ability.
Dis we deserve three points Yes for the following reasons.
The ref was awful throughout. Despite losing the goal we fought tooth and nail, we didn't stop running and even though a point would have been a good result the fact that Costa didn't just hoof that ball out to waste time highlights the values instilled into this team by Bielsa.

The ref. I will start with KP getting fouled twice on the halfway line right in front of him and he waved play on. I can see a case for Cooper getting sent off but what did he see different in the tackle that made him change their mind?
Sterling. My only hope is that because he wasn't penalised at the time that his stamping can be looked at retrospectively. But I am not holding my breath. Nasty little git he has turned into.
Citys equaliser. Hm, It was too early in the attacking phase for that to be called offside.
7 minutes. About right, our goal celebrations, Raphinha getting banjoed it all takes time
The assault on Raphinha. Straight red. Nothing to do with the last man. That was a disgrace.

The ref should be dropped to the lower leagues for a bit
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Absolutely. Watched the replay this morning and woke my wife up when I yelled again.

Not at all by Leeds fans. You can't really recognize his value unless you watch him over an extended period.

A lot more than that

Yes, in every way. For all their possession they only managed two excellent chances; one for the goal and the other which Meslier saved with his dive to his left.

Sheer class. Best central defender we've had in a very long time.

Pontus who?

If this doesn't do it, nothing will.

Ayling was excellent all day long. He didn't press forward the way he normally does, which is understandable, but they didn't threaten down his side all day

[b}Bielsa, "Citeh deserve to win" what a man? Great to see him smiling/grinning[/b]

So very gratifying to see him so happy. Bielsa with his usual supreme graciousness. He deserved this win and we all know it

Absolutely. They had only two quality chances all day and we had at least five. Possession means nothing if you can't create chances

Although I think the call on Cooper was the proper one, that doesn't take away from the fact that his performance was utterly awful.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I said on here a couple of months ago how we look a lot better with Dallas playing in midfield. He continues to impress me and he will continue to be a first team pick due to his versatility.

Foden is a tremendous talent. He and Grealish are two of the most talented English players around at the present. Full marks to Luke for keeping him in check.

Not consistent yesterday. As noted by others he failed to call some very dubious City tackles.
Cooper's red card was very unfair. If that is a red card tackle then they have basically said that in a 50-50 situation the first person to the ball will be sent off because although he gets the ball his momentum then carried him into the opponent which is deemed dangerous play. My argument is that why is it the defenders fault that the forward was second to the ball but continued to run into the defender?
It seems totally unfair. I would have said the same if Stones had made the same tackle on Bamford and Stones got sent off.

Just as an aside. Did anyone see the Ajax ballboy throw the ball at the opposing player who was openly wasting time? The player started to fall over (like they do) until he realized what the situation was. Hilarious.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1. I yelled GET IN at the top of my voice three times and gave myself a sore throat as a result which I still have now.

2. Certainly not underrated by Leeds fans now. His improvement in the last couple of seasons is remarkable. Regardless of the fact that there are 7 games left, he is undoubtedly POTS.

3. 15-20 million would be a fair price if we were trying to sell him (which won't be happening any time soon)

4. Not a masterclass but very good defending most of the time and a huge improvement on our early season defending.

5. Llorente has been superb in the last few games. The only question is whether Bielsa will play two right sided CB's in the same team. If not, where does that leave Koch?

6. Who cares what England fans think of Kalvin. The man who picks the team is obviously impressed so that's all that matters.

7. Foden didn't get long to be fairand make no mistake, I would love him at Leeds but Ayling did what he had to do. Job done.

8. Of course we did, we scored more than them. They may not have scored at all if Meslier hadn't slipped just before he tried to save Torres shot.

9. Cooper did have both feet off the ground and did catch Jesus on the knee so you can see why the red was given even though he played the ball first. However, the foul by Fernandinho on Raphinha was premeditated, thigh high and could have broken his leg so for me, that should have been a definite red.
The foul on Raph by Sterling should have been a yellow as well.
And seven minutes added time when the board said three WTF!
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I let out almighty screech unfortunately my dog takes it the wrong way, he thinks i'm having another meltdown. :)

He's come on leaps and bounds. I thought he was average a few years back. It turns out he was just waiting for someone to ignite the fire in him, now he's fookin awesome.

He's not for sale.

Absolutely. Backs to the wall, it helps that Citeh don't lump the ball in the box, they try and walk it in. They were woeful in front of goal yesterday but take nothing away from the lads.

Its funny when i think back, i had writ him off due to the injuries, i just had a feeling he was going to be one of them that just keeps breaking down. Now he's looking top draw and getting stronger every game.

Some fans will never get what Kalvin (i called him Kelvin yesterday :duno: ) does on the pitch, it was the same with Batty, he just needs to keep doing what he is doing the rest will take care of itself.

They did a Leeds on.....Leeds, in that Citeh could have played for a month of Sundays and not scored...

[b}Bielsa, "Citeh deserve to win" what a man? Great to see him smiling/grinning[/b]

That grin and smile was coming right from the pit of his stomach...He enjoyed that Mr Bielsa...The Master over the Apprentice .

YES WE DID.... :)

You are never going to be able to control that Unconscious bias (i know i know) with the big clubs, just ask Fergie about the late penalties and Fergie time. Or maybe Rafa Benitez would be better to ask. :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 pm
And seven minutes added time when the board said three WTF!
One substitution = 30 seconds.
Maybe 30 seconds for time-wasting which I didn't notice whatsoever!

Fergie time all over again Chilli