Cassette Tapes are back!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Music Cassette Tapes are back!

Post by 1964white »

Do you still own cassettes?

Would you revert back to cassettes as your listening choice?

Out of 10......how does the cassette tape rate as oppose to other listening devices?

What devices are your preferred choice of listening?

Screenshot 2021-04-27 06.51.38.png
1964white

Re: Casseette Tapes are back!

Post by 1964white »

Some blanks ones hidden away somewhere.

Definitely not, although easy to store & not space-comsuming the amount of tapes I lost due to being tangled up in the machine put me off the damn things for good.

Out of 10......how does the cassette tape rate as oppose to other listening devices?

4/10

CD's
Streaming in search of new albums to buy! (Spotify & YouTube)
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I'm not a sound or music aficionado, so I like what's easiest for me. That is downloading music onto my smart phone. Next I'll go for CDs.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Vinyl for me I still have my Technics stereo from the 80s with a turn table sounds so much sweeter. I literally have 100s of tapes mainly bought when I was in Saudi but I never listen to them, big concern about them spooling :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

None these days. Sold most of them on Wakey Market back in the day.

Nar. The thought of having a big ugly tape deck back in the house would upset the other half. She has put up with all sizes of speakers down the years. We all remember using a pen to wind the film back in when it got twisted. :tup:

On some Cassettes you could not get rid of that horrible hiss no matter how many buttons pressed. 3/10

Nearly all music goes through my headphones my PC these days. Its just easier and all in one place. I have a amp but rarely use it.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 am Vinyl for me I still have my Technics stereo from the 80s with a turn table sounds so much sweeter. I literally have 100s of tapes mainly bought when I was in Saudi but I never listen to them, big concern about them spooling :lol:
I have a load of Saudi tapes as well Ratscoot. Where abouts were you in Saudi?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Yes, about 250 talking books/radio plays and around 600 music. Still all displayed

Not really, I still own both a portable cassette player/boom box, which I use at work, and a hi-fi separate which currently isn't hooked up

Now it would be about a 4, then a 9. You simply couldn't edit Vinyl nor play it in your car.

CD or vinyl through Marantz separates and Mission floor standing speakers and loud. Do also use headphones via laptop .
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 am CD or vinyl through Marantz separates and Mission floor standing speakers and loud. Do also use headphones via laptop .
Yes I use a decent set of headphones when listening on my laptop :tup:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Cassette Tapes are back!

Post by Chilli D »

Horrible things, binned mine years ago and replaced them with CD's.
I remember being on holiday in Gt Yarmouth in 1982 with my mates and lugging about a massive ghetto blaster all day as we walked up and down the promenade trying to impress girls.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Not a one, hated them for all the reasons already stated.

Not a chance.

2/10

In the home Vynil, recently replaced/upgraded my turn table, amp and speakers...travelling CD in the vehicles
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:38 am Horrible things, binned mine years ago and replaced them with CD's.
I remember being on holiday in Gt Yarmouth in 1982 with my mates and lugging about a massive ghetto blaster all day as we walked up and down the promenade trying to impress girls.
Did it work Chilli?
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I wouldn't have cassettes back at any price - awful things, maybe an improvement on vinyl for convenience but not for sound.

We're currently switching all our DVDs to SSD so we can bring them back to England.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Horrible things, but very handy at the time. Transferred most of mine to digital before binning them. Quality was so bad that I deleted them and replaced the ones I wanted to keep with better digital copies.

I have all my music on my phone and use bluetooth in the car. Very rare that I buy new music now, although I still have to replace some of my old vinyl and CD's, which were sold to help fund my first house purchase.

I must have spent a fortune, going from Vinyl > Cassette > CD > Digital, but it is digital all the way for me now, especially as sound quality no longer matters so much to me as I'm going a bit mutt and jeff.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 am I have a load of Saudi tapes as well Ratscoot. Where abouts were you in Saudi?
Hi Swan

I was at King Khalid Airbase, Kamish Mushait 1990-91, where were you and when?
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 pm Did it work Chilli?
Unfortunately not.
In this case size didn't matter...
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:04 pm Unfortunately not.
In this case size didn't matter...
I had a similar experience on Cleethorpes beach at the tender age of 14yo :(
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:36 pm Hi Swan

I was at King Khalid Airbase, Kamish Mushait 1990-91, where were you and when?
I was in Riyadh, working at the Riyadh military Hospital 1980-92 (Yes 12 years!) working in the dental unit
It was really exciting to go down the Souks and cassette shops. That was pretty much all we had most of the time, our 747 cassettes :lol:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:30 pm I was in Riyadh, working at the Riyadh military Hospital 1980-92 (Yes 12 years!) working in the dental unit
It was really exciting to go down the Souks and cassette shops. That was pretty much all we had most of the time, our 747 cassettes :lol:
Hi Swan, apart from playing football that’s pretty much all we did :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:26 pm Hi Swan, apart from playing football that’s pretty much all we did :lol:
bloody loafing crabs :P :P

:) :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

hector wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:38 pm bloody loafing crabs :P :P

:) :)
OY! Cheeky so and so :x

Buzz off!