The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 4th May) Bielsa defends Bamford decision

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 4th May) Bielsa defends Bamford decision

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 4th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bielsa defends Bamford decision

Marcelo Bielsa has defended his actions for substituting leading scorer Patrick Bamford on the hour mark at the Amex Stadium last weekend. Leeds leading scorer started the season on fire, netting ten times in 15 appearances. Unfortunately, with four goals in his last 19, it has become clear that opposition defences have found a way to cut off his supply route. Asked if there was anything the striker could have done differently, Bielsa replied...

No, I think not. “We had a problem in the creation prior to the ball reaching Patrick, where he had no influence and he could not receive the ball in positions where he can cause harm to the opponent. When we can't overlap out wide and when we can't give the pass from the centre from a closer distance, it is difficult for him to shine.

U23's finish the season in style

Leeds U23's finished their season in style with an emphatic 5-2 win over play off hopefuls Burnley at Thorp Arch. This leaves the young Whites 13 points clear of second place stoke who have two games in hand. Leif Davis, Gaetano Berardi and Rodrigo all received 45 minutes game time in their quest for fitness. Leeds finished the first half on top with Cody Drameh grabbing his first goal of the campaign after good work by Rodrigo.

Jamie Shackleton, Crysencio Summerville and Stuart McKinstry came on in the second half, as Leeds turned the screw. Huggins, Summerville and a brace of spot kicks from Greenwood put the game beyond doubt for the West Yorkshire youngsters. (Greenwood's brace means he finishes the season as top scorer with 12 goals, with Gelhardt, who was injured, on 11). Skipper, Charlie Cresswell spoke to the media following Speaking to the media after the junior Whites' final game of the season, Cresswell was delighted with his team's effort.

We knew we got to treat the league fairly," "I should've scored, yeah, rattled the post didn't I? I had a bit of a laugh about it to be honest, I walked back and was like 'Charlie how have you not scored that?' Oh dear but never mind, move on. "But I think we've done ourselves proud," he added, before commending the coaching and analysis team for their part in the title success.

Jacko [Mark Jackson] and all the staff, the amount of analysis, the time they spend on working, it's mental. We just see it as one big club. We'll probably be in tomorrow, straight back to training, helping the first-team for their next game, trying to push for a matchday squad as well. "When we're here, we're training with the first team every day, we're training with Marcelo [Bielsa] and the first-team. When you're training around better players, you become a better player.

Cresswell understood the competitiveness between Greenwood and Gelhardt, with both players wanting the accolade of Golden Boot winner. The 18yo had to intervene when Summerville and Greenwood clashed over who would take Leeds first spot kick.

Sam and Joffy, can't keep them apart those two. Everyone's got personality, everyone's got character in the 23s, we're just a really strong group. I knew Sam [Greenwood] was on for top goalscorer so I just said; 'Hey Cry, listen Sam's going for goalscorer' and he wasn't having it, so just had to grab the ball.

Who, from the U23's will make it onto the big stage? Who should go out on loan, and who is ready to make the first team? Will Bielsa give the youngsters a chance to shine?

Kent snubs Leeds advances

Rangers forward Ryan Kent has all but extinguished Leeds hopes of signing the 24yo this Summer. The former Liverpool academy player has been on Bielsa's radar since arriving at Elland Road in the Summer of 2018. Whilst the lure of Premiership football must be an attractive proposition to anyone, Champions league football and another Scottish title features heavily on Kent's mind. He told Sky Sports...

It’s nice to be linked with other football clubs, the big clubs, but you’ve got to understand the duty of where you’re at and as long as I’m at Rangers I’ll always give 100 per cent to the club. I love this place and it’s done so much for me. As long as I am here my mind is solely focused on Rangers.

Is the Champions League a motivation? Massive. It’s the biggest stage in club football and to be able to test yourself against the best players and teams in the world would be quite special.

Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 4th May) Bielsa defends Bamford decision

Post by Byebyegeegee »

When Corberon left I thought the under 23s might have struggled for a while but they have gone from strength to strength with Mark Jackson in charge and it will be interesting to see how he and the lads do in the big league next season. We may have to be wary suitors coming in for him though, after this years showing the club should be averse to losing him but managing a league club is the obvious next step up for him.
Chilli D
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 4th May) Bielsa defends Bamford decision

Post by Chilli D »

Rangers will have to qualify for the CL group stages and there endeth their interest in the competition, just like Celtic most seasons.
So if Ryan Kent is happy with a CL preliminary round followed by a few Europa League games so be it. The rest of his season will be spent playing against teams who would struggle in the Championship.

Congratulations to Mark Jackson's U23's, they've been excellent all season and it will be interesting to see if a few of them can stake their claim for a first team place in pre season.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Bielsa can defend his decision to sub Bamford to the hilt but the fact remains we rarely win a game once Paddy has gone. Why take off one of our only two likely scorers especially as the other one is playing at LB?

Magnificent finish to an excellent season for our U23's.

Not really fussed about Ryan Kent tbh, Liverpool didn't want him as was the case with Brewster, the same will apply to their other so called promising young players Woodburn & Origi I suspect.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

As Chilli said, Rangers will likely not even make it into the Champions League same as Celtic havent for 4 or 5 years.

And even if they do the last time they made it to the Quarters of any European Competition was in the 80s.

In all likelihood they will go out early doors, maybe scrape through to the last 16 of the Europa League.

I am a fan of Ryan Kent, think he would do well.

I dont see what he said as a snub tbf, its diplomatic.

Rangers are a big club with big support and success, but if Kent ever wants to be taken seriously as a footballer on the international stage he has to play in the Premier league.

If he ever wants a chance to be an International he has to play in the Premier League.

Players playing for Rangers or Celtic will always be slightly looked down upon because of the League they play in, the Scottish Premier league is a weak league no stronger than our Championship.

A few games in the lower Rounds of a European Competition wont change that, Kent needs a to move to a proper standard of domestic football.
DDB220
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by DDB220 »

Kent’s loyalty comments suggest he is not adverse to a move, there was nothing in his statement to underline he wants to stay at Rangers. Just sound bites that any pro would be advised to make to avoid upsetting the fans. He probably knows full well that a move to the EPL is in his best interests. Ranger’s will want 20 - 30 million. That would be a big outlay in terms of the transfer budget. If we are making Harrison’s move permanent and get an adverse decision on the Augustin ruling - that may account for the lions share of expenditure. That ruling will have a big impact on our transfer outlook.
DDB220
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by DDB220 »

We didn’t have the personnel to breakdown Brighton’s defence. PB had no service, that wasn’t going to change with the options on the bench. PB is athletically and technically deficient to trouble the Brighton defence in the 4141 system we use. Giving Rodrigo minutes was a sensible choice. But as quite a few point out it might have been more prudent in hindsight to sacrifice Roberts or Klich. Not that it would have made much difference - we were very poor.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Ryan Kent must be crap he plays in Scotland and Bielsa wanted to buy him.
Two massive negatives there.

Re Bamford being subbed, he wasn't in the game, and Rodrigo needs game time.
'We can wait for the next game with serenity'

'I am quite clear in my mind that one has to feel sincere love for those he leads, and if he doesn't feel it naturally, then he must learn how to feel it' Marcelo Bielsa

'Would he kill his granny to win a match?' Bobby Collins
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 am Ryan Kent must be crap he plays in Scotland and Bielsa wanted to buy him.
Two massive negatives there.

Re Bamford being subbed, he wasn't in the game, and Rodrigo needs game time.
Maybe if our midfield & wingers were more involved Bamford wouldn't have been left isolated.

Our midfield was the main problem, had we shook it up a bit by using the likes of Dallas, Shackleton & Pablo maybe just maybe we could have made inroads into the solid Brighton defensive unit. A unfit Rodrigo was left isolated just like Paddy was :(
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Harrison had an off day for sure, maybe his worst game of the season. Now I'd like to make it clear I'm a fan of Jacks and what he brings to the teams but all players have bad days at the office. Dallas needs time there if we want him to be an effectual winger, I bet if we give him 2/3 games he starts to play really well there.

Klich looked rusty and certainly not match fit. He usually has an affinity with Paddy but that needs to be re-established.

Altogether we just looked disjointed with players playing unfamiliar roles... Also Brighton played better against us than Chelsea Liverpool and maybe even Man City. They could have had 5 we were a mess defensively...
Honey dipped flim flam
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

As others have said, that's not a snub from Kent just rhetoric
Honey dipped flim flam
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

For me Summerville should be ahead of Poveda in the pecking order, he's as quick and as skilful but with an end product and better contact balance. That said it's Marcelo's policy to try to get players as good a run as he can give them and I'm ok with with that

Going to be an enjoyable U23 season next year ..
Honey dipped flim flam
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Anyone been here before?

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:46 pm Anyone been here before?
Aye Matt, not far from where I lived & went to school close be in the first nine years of my life, Greasy Pig wasn't there then though.

I suspect that Rhinos fan has never seen a salad let alone ate one!

I wouldn't want to be in the same car as him after he had consumed that breakfast :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

“A bit thirsty with the syrup” 🤣🤣🤣
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Honey dipped flim flam
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:06 pm For me Summerville should be ahead of Poveda in the pecking order, he's as quick and as skilful but with an end product and better contact balance. That said it's Marcelo's policy to try to get players as good a run as he can give them and I'm ok with with that

Going to be an enjoyable U23 season next year ..
From what I've seen from the U23's matches I agree Summerville appears more productive than Poveda.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:29 pm
From their new album :tup:
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Very good new album
Honey dipped flim flam
Leeds1000
First Team
First Team

Post by Leeds1000 »

The way we were playing against Bha we needed Messi up front to create his own magic, cause we could still be playing now. I can't blame Bielsa for changing it up but whatever he had in mind didn't work.

Credit to the U23's they have looked a couple of levels above in the odd game i have seen. The lads will/should be chomping at the bit for first team football and with a season like they have just had you would think there will be plenty of loan moves this summer.

Deal, Kent, isn't that near Dover? :| What's his buy out clause? I think Bielsa must see him as a 10? because we don't need any more wingers do we? How about 5M and Poveda, or £20m and Costa..... We don't want to be spending £30m on Harrison & Kent, we will have nowt left for all the positions we really need. Although i would rule out a fire sale by AR....Just puttin it out there. :) :shhh: