Fantastic news...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Smudge3920
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4363
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:08 pm
Location: Canada

Fantastic news...

Post by Smudge3920 »

Good this has happened, absolutely disgusting the way these vets have been treated...
.
Murder trial of two former soldiers accused of killing IRA commander in 1972 collapses

The case against the two veterans, identified only as Soldiers A and C, fell apart when evidence deemed central to the prosecution was ruled inadmissible.
The judge precluded statements the soldiers, who are now in their 70s, had been ordered to give the Army in 1972 and had given voluntarily to the Historical Investigations Team in 2010
The prosecution accepted that the statements were inadmissible because they had not been given under caution and without the soldiers having access to legal representation.
Mr Justice O'Hara said it was "remarkable" that the accused had never been arrested or questioned by police before being put on trial for murder.
After the prosecution confirmed it would be presenting no further evidence in the case, Mr Justice O'Hara told the defendants: "In the circumstances Mr A and C I formally find you not guilty of the charge of murder."
Moments later the two accused, dressed in suits and ties, walked from the court.
Pictured wielding a gun on a Belfast street, McCann is the subject of one of the most iconic images of the Northern Ireland troubles.
Belfast Crown Court heard the prominent member of the old Official IRA had been responsible for the deaths of 15 British soldiers in Northern Ireland.
His widow Anne and their family had waited nearly 49 years for their day in court, only to see the trial collapse in a week.
His family have said they will apply to the Attorney General to open an inquest into his killing.
Speaking outside the court, the McCann family's lawyer Niall Murphy said: "This ruling does not acquit the state of murder. This ruling does not mean that Joe McCann was not murdered by the British Army.
The trial of two former British soldiers for the shooting dead of an IRA commander in 1972 has collapsed at the Crown Court in Belfast.
Joe McCann, 24, was unarmed when soldiers opened fire on him in Joy Street, as he ran from them in a bid to evade capture.
The case against the two veterans, identified only as Soldiers A and C, fell apart when evidence deemed central to the prosecution was ruled inadmissible.
The judge precluded statements the soldiers, who are now in their 70s, had been ordered to give the Army in 1972 and had given voluntarily to the Historical Investigations Team in 2010.
The prosecution accepted that the statements were inadmissible because they had not been given under caution and without the soldiers having access to legal representation.
Mr Justice O'Hara said it was "remarkable" that the accused had never been arrested or questioned by police before being put on trial for murder.
After the prosecution confirmed it would be presenting no further evidence in the case, Mr Justice O'Hara told the defendants: "In the circumstances Mr A and C I formally find you not guilty of the charge of murder."
Moments later the two accused, dressed in suits and ties, walked from the court.
Joe McCann was an IRA commander.
Pictured wielding a gun on a Belfast street, McCann is the subject of one of the most iconic images of the Northern Ireland troubles.
Belfast Crown Court heard the prominent member of the old Official IRA had been responsible for the deaths of 15 British soldiers in Northern Ireland.
His widow Anne and their family had waited nearly 49 years for their day in court, only to see the trial collapse in a week.
His family have said they will apply to the Attorney General to open an inquest into his killing.
Speaking outside the court, the McCann family's lawyer Niall Murphy said: "This ruling does not acquit the state of murder. This ruling does not mean that Joe McCann was not murdered by the British Army.
a group of people posing for the camera: The McCann family outside court after the acquittal© Other The McCann family outside court after the acquittal
"This trial has heard very clear evidence that Joe McCann was murdered by the British Army. He was shot in the back whilst unarmed from a distance of 40m posing no threat. It was easier to arrest him than to murder him."He was murdered because the British Army operated with impunity for their crimes."
He said that there was "no doubt" that the soldiers did shoot McCann and said it was not the end of the family's demand for justice.
"They will now apply to the current Attorney General to open the inquest at which Soldiers A and C will be compelled to appear and give evidence and be cross examined," he said.
Veterans calling for a halt to the historical prosecution of former British soldiers who served in Northern Ireland had protested outside the court in Belfast.
Four other cases involving the prosecution of veterans are at the pre-trial stage in the region's courts.
Former armed forces minister Johnny Mercer, who resigned over the issue 10 days ago, was back in the city to offer the accused his support.
Speaking after the verdict, he said: "I'm delighted for the soldiers who can now hopefully go and live the rest of their lives in peace.
"But the government has made very clear promises, and the Prime Minister has made very clear promises, on legislation to end the relentless pursuit of those who served their country in Northern Ireland.
"It is time to deliver on that."
A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said: "The MOD has noted the court's decision today, which was welcomed by Defence Secretary Ben Wallace.
"Soldiers A and C have received independent legal representation, funded by MOD throughout these proceedings.
"The Secretary of State for Defence has ensured that legal and welfare support is provided for all those involved in this process, whether serving or veteran."
Philip Barden, the senior partner at Devonshires solicitors who represented Soldiers A and C, has called for an "urgent independent review" of the Northern Ireland Public Prosecution Service's handling of the case.
He said the firm made legal submissions back in 2016 making clear that the evidence from their clients would not be admissible.
"The stress of these proceedings on the soldiers and their families cannot be underestimated," he said.
"For the last five years, the soldiers have fought hard to maintain their anonymity on the basis that they would face real and imminent risk to their lives and physical safety from terrorists, were their names to be published."
There are those demanding an amnesty but that is the word politicians in Northern Ireland dare not speak while victims continue to call for justice.
FEAR NAUGHT
User avatar
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2910
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Fantastic news...

Post by Ratscoot »

Smudge3920 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 pm Good this has happened, absolutely disgusting the way these vets have been treated...
.
Murder trial of two former soldiers accused of killing IRA commander in 1972 collapses

The case against the two veterans, identified only as Soldiers A and C, fell apart when evidence deemed central to the prosecution was ruled inadmissible.
The judge precluded statements the soldiers, who are now in their 70s, had been ordered to give the Army in 1972 and had given voluntarily to the Historical Investigations Team in 2010
The prosecution accepted that the statements were inadmissible because they had not been given under caution and without the soldiers having access to legal representation.
Mr Justice O'Hara said it was "remarkable" that the accused had never been arrested or questioned by police before being put on trial for murder.
After the prosecution confirmed it would be presenting no further evidence in the case, Mr Justice O'Hara told the defendants: "In the circumstances Mr A and C I formally find you not guilty of the charge of murder."
Moments later the two accused, dressed in suits and ties, walked from the court.
Pictured wielding a gun on a Belfast street, McCann is the subject of one of the most iconic images of the Northern Ireland troubles.
Belfast Crown Court heard the prominent member of the old Official IRA had been responsible for the deaths of 15 British soldiers in Northern Ireland.
His widow Anne and their family had waited nearly 49 years for their day in court, only to see the trial collapse in a week.
His family have said they will apply to the Attorney General to open an inquest into his killing.
Speaking outside the court, the McCann family's lawyer Niall Murphy said: "This ruling does not acquit the state of murder. This ruling does not mean that Joe McCann was not murdered by the British Army.
The trial of two former British soldiers for the shooting dead of an IRA commander in 1972 has collapsed at the Crown Court in Belfast.
Joe McCann, 24, was unarmed when soldiers opened fire on him in Joy Street, as he ran from them in a bid to evade capture.
The case against the two veterans, identified only as Soldiers A and C, fell apart when evidence deemed central to the prosecution was ruled inadmissible.
The judge precluded statements the soldiers, who are now in their 70s, had been ordered to give the Army in 1972 and had given voluntarily to the Historical Investigations Team in 2010.
The prosecution accepted that the statements were inadmissible because they had not been given under caution and without the soldiers having access to legal representation.
Mr Justice O'Hara said it was "remarkable" that the accused had never been arrested or questioned by police before being put on trial for murder.
After the prosecution confirmed it would be presenting no further evidence in the case, Mr Justice O'Hara told the defendants: "In the circumstances Mr A and C I formally find you not guilty of the charge of murder."
Moments later the two accused, dressed in suits and ties, walked from the court.
Joe McCann was an IRA commander.
Pictured wielding a gun on a Belfast street, McCann is the subject of one of the most iconic images of the Northern Ireland troubles.
Belfast Crown Court heard the prominent member of the old Official IRA had been responsible for the deaths of 15 British soldiers in Northern Ireland.
His widow Anne and their family had waited nearly 49 years for their day in court, only to see the trial collapse in a week.
His family have said they will apply to the Attorney General to open an inquest into his killing.
Speaking outside the court, the McCann family's lawyer Niall Murphy said: "This ruling does not acquit the state of murder. This ruling does not mean that Joe McCann was not murdered by the British Army.
a group of people posing for the camera: The McCann family outside court after the acquittal© Other The McCann family outside court after the acquittal
"This trial has heard very clear evidence that Joe McCann was murdered by the British Army. He was shot in the back whilst unarmed from a distance of 40m posing no threat. It was easier to arrest him than to murder him."He was murdered because the British Army operated with impunity for their crimes."
He said that there was "no doubt" that the soldiers did shoot McCann and said it was not the end of the family's demand for justice.
"They will now apply to the current Attorney General to open the inquest at which Soldiers A and C will be compelled to appear and give evidence and be cross examined," he said.
Veterans calling for a halt to the historical prosecution of former British soldiers who served in Northern Ireland had protested outside the court in Belfast.
Four other cases involving the prosecution of veterans are at the pre-trial stage in the region's courts.
Former armed forces minister Johnny Mercer, who resigned over the issue 10 days ago, was back in the city to offer the accused his support.
Speaking after the verdict, he said: "I'm delighted for the soldiers who can now hopefully go and live the rest of their lives in peace.
"But the government has made very clear promises, and the Prime Minister has made very clear promises, on legislation to end the relentless pursuit of those who served their country in Northern Ireland.
"It is time to deliver on that."
A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said: "The MOD has noted the court's decision today, which was welcomed by Defence Secretary Ben Wallace.
"Soldiers A and C have received independent legal representation, funded by MOD throughout these proceedings.
"The Secretary of State for Defence has ensured that legal and welfare support is provided for all those involved in this process, whether serving or veteran."
Philip Barden, the senior partner at Devonshires solicitors who represented Soldiers A and C, has called for an "urgent independent review" of the Northern Ireland Public Prosecution Service's handling of the case.
He said the firm made legal submissions back in 2016 making clear that the evidence from their clients would not be admissible.
"The stress of these proceedings on the soldiers and their families cannot be underestimated," he said.
"For the last five years, the soldiers have fought hard to maintain their anonymity on the basis that they would face real and imminent risk to their lives and physical safety from terrorists, were their names to be published."
There are those demanding an amnesty but that is the word politicians in Northern Ireland dare not speak while victims continue to call for justice.
Our Armed Forces should be completely protected from these disgusting witch hunts which are only brought about to a) Give the so called victims more media coverage b) Give the bleeding hearts another “Cause” c) bloody lawyers more money.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Velotrax
Guest
Guest

Re: Fantastic news...

Post by Velotrax »

The correct decision
whiteroseboy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Re: Fantastic news...

Post by whiteroseboy »

Correct decision but should have been made years ago.
Post Reply