The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May) Do Leeds need another striker

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May) Do Leeds need another striker

Post by Carrick Dave »

I hope we concentrate on securing the best AM out there, even if it means a disproportionate percentage of the transfer kitty, it would completely change the balance and give us the momentum going forward we lack at the moment. I'm talking de Paul rather than Harry Wilson here, but IBWT.

Aguero - fitness levels, murderball, side before self when substituted, £230k a week, 33 years old. Can't see it.
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May) Do Leeds need another striker

Post by whiteroseboy »

Like others have said Bamford is getting very little service changing the striker will not make a difference, we need a winger that can cross the ball and/or a creative midfielder.
Rodrigo needs a run injury free, he can pick a pass in my view.

Klich needs a break which is not a great shock given his running statistics, think he'll come back strong next season.

Although I think its possible or even likely some of the U23's may step up eventually we shouldn't get carried away its a big jump from 2nd tier development league to Prem League. They are in the top tier next term which will help their development but they are also a young unit so a bit of patience may be required.
For the level required it would be great for at least one per season breaking through (Struijk this year) so maybe a Gelhardt or Drameh next season but could be any of them.
I'm sure they will be getting valuable time on the training pitch with the big boys, MB will access them there before they become first team squad players.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

SG90 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 am Of course we do. How can we just rely on Bamford? What happens if he gets injured or loses form or gets tired? Roberts is not good enough. Hopefully we sign Aguero, wanted Cavani in the summer.
With 10 goals in his first 15 matches, and then 4 in his next 19 games you could argue that he has already lost form SG.

He has always been a streaky striker - he went 10 to 12 games in the championship with us without scoring I think more than once. We 100% need another striker, however Bielsa in his usual flexible style will only ever play with one striker. Whoever is brought in will struggle to start matches in the way that Nketiah never started any matches, despite Bamford at one time having a long run without scoring.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:55 pm Never understood why we operate with one striker in Bamford, the only one capable of scoring goals & playing the role Bielsa expects of him. Had Paddy picked-up a serious injury earlier in the season we were in trouble!

Also not having goal scoring game changer on the bench is baffling to say the least.
It makes no sense to always play with one striker. It means you can never sign another quality striker, as he knows he may not get any starts, as happened to Nketiah. Add to this Bielsa's's obsession with always starting Paddy, and you have a big problem. It would help if one or two youngsters were given a chance - it's insane that Gelhardt is not given any game time right now, especially as he can play as a 9 or a 10.

Paddy is a historically streaky striker with now 4 goals in his last 19 games, poor service or not. If he was injured then the club would be relying on a 30 year old striker who has never been prolific throughout his career, and who may possibly leave in the summer anyway. That sounds like a blunts like receipe for disaster to me....
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Thu May 06, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Tbf after 3 years i think we all know how MB thinks and why he does things.

He is a believer in the system over the individual.

He thinks the system is king and picks the players he feels best suit the system, not necessarily the best talent.

Thats why he is likely to bring Cooper back in, its why Shacks barely features, its why he makes 3 or 4 changes when only 1 player is missing trying to shoehorn his favourites in.

He has his favourites for his system and feels that that should be enough without necessarily picking the most gifted players.

Perhaps our recent issues offensively show him that at the top level eventually the system won't be enough?

Have to say i am concerned about the goalscoring situation, once goals dry up you are in real trouble.

This definitely needs to be addressed in the summer one way or another but i suspect through midfield and wingers rather than strikers.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom