The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May) Do Leeds need another striker

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May) Do Leeds need another striker

Post by Cjay »

Agree with those who say Striker isnt a priority ( although would be nice to have more quality).

Paddy isnt clinical but creativity has disappeared with Raph out and the other players dont score enough goals.

For me tgis is a long standing problem going back to EFL days.

Only Klich and Pablo offered adequate goalscoring support and now those two are struggling Costa, Roberts, Harrison dont do near enough.

Look at there numbers even in the Championship and compare it to top level players at that level.

Sarr, Bowen, Buendia, Armstrong, our midfield and wingers have never provided enough support to Paddy and only got by because the style meant we created tons.

Well now the style impact is lessening and the lack of quality shows now.

Central midfield both 8 and 10 plus a dm backup and left wing are priority imo.

Time to stop relying on the style and bring in more quality.

Harrison, Costa ok for backup, Roberts can go.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 5th May) Do Leeds need another striker

Post by Cjay »

Never got the hype with Davis.

Would like to see Summerville, Gelhard, Greenwood given a chance.
Signed

King Cjay

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Cjay wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:27 pm Never got the hype with Davis.

Would like to see Summerville, Gelhard, Greenwood given a chance.
What hype?
When he broke into the first team a couple of seasons ago he did really well and it looked as though we had a promising left back (we may still have).
For whatever reason he hasn't progressed to where we, and most importantly Bielsa, had hoped but it was hardly hype.
It may well be that the Championship is a more suitable level for him right now but there is definitely a good full back in there.
For some reason Bielsa saw him more as a CB but he's only about 5'8" so I never really understood that.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

We're more in need of a Left back and AMF.

Don't need to get an extra striker before these positions are filled
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I guess it will depend on where Bielsa see's our record signing fitting in next season, for me it has to be striker. I admire those that think Bamford can do another season up there on his own, i don't see it personally, a guy who vomits through exertion and runs himself into the ground nearly every game has got to be nearing his limits for me. That leaves us with the gamble of Gelhardt or Roberts if Rodrigo if preferred as AF.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm What about Shackleton?

Is his time up at ER?

I'm gutted for him. I really thought this would be his breakthrough season, especially how he finished last season....
I hope not. I'd rather sell Klich than Shack. But if we're not going to give him a chance, he should leave. Too good/old for u23 football.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:26 pm What about Shackleton?

Is his time up at ER?

I'm gutted for him. I really thought this would be his breakthrough season, especially how he finished last season....
Another one for the depth bit. I think Forshaw maybe in play too. Unsure of his contract
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:43 pm What hype?
When he broke into the first team a couple of seasons ago he did really well and it looked as though we had a promising left back (we may still have).
For whatever reason he hasn't progressed to where we, and most importantly Bielsa, had hoped but it was hardly hype.
It may well be that the Championship is a more suitable level for him right now but there is definitely a good full back in there.
For some reason Bielsa saw him more as a CB but he's only about 5'8" so I never really understood that.
Yes Davis play really well in our victory at Villa Park, then was dropped I think!

In the meantime he has suffered injuries which has hindered his career somewhat.

Remember Davis playing as a CB v Stoke in the EFL Cup, a position he looked nowhere near as comfortable.

I have no idea what Bielsa saw in Davis as a CB, maybe just experimenting establishing his ability to play other positions.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Never understood why we operate with one striker in Bamford, the only one capable of scoring goals & playing the role Bielsa expects of him. Had Paddy picked-up a serious injury earlier in the season we were in trouble!

Also not having goal scoring game changer on the bench is baffling to say the least.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:47 pm Yes Davis play really well in our victory at Villa Park, then was dropped I think!

In the meantime he has suffered injuries which has hindered his career somewhat.

Remember Davis playing as a CB v Stoke in the EFL Cup, a position he looked nowhere near as comfortable.

I have no idea what Bielsa saw in Davis as a CB, maybe just experimenting establishing his ability to play other positions.
Good size for a CB the way we play and his ability to bring the ball out of defence maybe?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 pm Good size for a CB the way we play and his ability to bring the ball out of defence maybe?
As a CB you still need to be commanding in the air. Berardi is not tall but he has a good leap & is decent aerially.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

He was hyped up on here based on his fairly average appearances during the last few seasons, some wanted him as the starting left back.

Never saw the potential in him some seemed to and not surprised Bielsa doesnt fancy him.

The cb thing was utterly bizarre i agree.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Davis is 5'11 according to Wiki ?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:33 pm Huggins is very good, if he ever gets 10 games to show it he'll take it.. Clever footballer, confident, good with ball at feet, can beat players and has an eye for a pass...Wing back again, not an out and out left back

Drameh is similar and will hopefully be Ayling's cover next season

Meslier - Caprile
Ayling - Drameh
New LWB - Huggins
Koch/Llorente
Cooper/Struijk
Phillips - New DMF (though personally I think Llorente looks a natural DMF in our system)
Dallas - Klich
New 10 - Rodrigo
Raphinha - Summerville
New LW (if we bring back Jack that's fine) - Costa
New Striker - Bamford

that's 22 then Geldherdt/Greenwood/Roberts as deep cover

Perm any 4 of the CB's to start. The DMF will have to be content with a bench spot while Dallas and Kalvin are playing well
You've just upset Casey and Cresswell.... :shock:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Has he been given the opportunity. Bielsa would rather play a square peg in a round hole than give an U23 a chance.

Struijk got his chance ONLY as there was nobody else.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 pm You've just upset Casey and Cresswell.... :shock:
Both still very young, probably neither would be needed next season ...
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

We need several new players. Striker is just one of the positions we need more depth at.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I wouldn't want us spending another 100M, maybe 35-50M on the main 3 spots. Most of our players are mid prem and higher quality..
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

faaip wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:10 pm Davis is 5'11 according to Wiki ?
Believe me he isn't 5'11"
I stood next to him when then U23's played at Colchester two seasons ago and he was shorter than me and I'm 5'9"
Unless he has grown three inches since then of course.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:00 am Believe me he isn't 5'11"
I stood next to him when then U23's played at Colchester two seasons ago and he was shorter than me and I'm 5'9"
Unless he has grown three inches since then of course.
Very possible I'd say, he'd have been 19, lots of people have late growths spurts, I had an early one I was 6 foot at 13 and that's where I stayed. Not saying wiki is right though. I've looked elsewhere and some sites have him listed at 5'4