Manchester City Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Erling Haaland

Post by The Subhuman »

Roberts is learning a new position, the hardest position to learn, as a striker he's barely played for us ..Forshaw has been injured, seems a bit mean to judge someone on that...But I guess we'll sytart slagging off Koch as crap too and having contributed nothing this season soon too..

Costa has flashed this season even has a MOTM for us IIRC, best player on the pitch v Fulham
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:25 pm I don't think 15M is expensive for the prem ...we paid more than that for Rio more than 20 years ago. Costa also key in getting us up imo, which has to be worth 15M

I think Roberts is quality so we'll never agree there, not gotten a chance yet at his favoured position, Forshaw was outstanding for us beginning of last season, JKA was wanted by Bielsa till he wasn't..

Casilla is a good keeper and was our MOTM here several times last season, Roberts was 2.5M, not expensive at all imo for that kind of potential. Weidwald was a mistake but again we were rushed putting a team together at that point

We're doing well in the prem, I'm not sure right now we should be blaming anyone for success
Definitely don't agree with that - 4 goals in 40 appearances in the championship, and 6 assists. Just because a player was a regular starter doesn't mean that we owe promotion to him. Ben White was allgedly paid £3,000 a week last season, and Costa £35,000. Most people think that Costa was poor last season. Plus there have always been concerns about his defensive capabilities.

If a newly acquired player comes in and immediately takes his place ( despite players needing to 'learn the system ') then that speaks volumes. Right now he is out of favour, and consigned to the bench, yet he is being paid allegedly 35K a week. I think that Bielsa will probably want shot of him eventually.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:19 pm Roberts is learning a new position, the hardest position to learn, as a striker he's barely played for us ..Forshaw has been injured, seems a bit mean to judge someone on that...But I guess we'll sytart slagging off Koch as crap too and having contributed nothing this season soon too..

Costa has flashed this season even has a MOTM for us IIRC, best player on the pitch v Fulham
I was a fan of Roberts for a while, but the bottom line is nobody else at the club is going to get a chance as no 9 unless PB gets injured. He hasn't done anything as a no 10, so I'm not sure what use he can be. As a recent sub he has done absolutely nothing.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:19 pm Roberts is learning a new position, the hardest position to learn, as a striker he's barely played for us ..Forshaw has been injured, seems a bit mean to judge someone on that...But I guess we'll sytart slagging off Koch as crap too and having contributed nothing this season soon too..

Your opinion Faaip

I don't think any of those players in your previous post are our future in the PL

For me taking their salaries in account £millions wasted on average players for little in return
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:00 pm I was a fan of Roberts for a while, but the bottom line is nobody else at the club is going to get a chance as no 9 unless PB gets injured. He hasn't done anything as a no 10, so I'm not sure what use he can be. As a recent sub he has done absolutely nothing.
So we don't keep back ups? He was 2,5M I don't know how many more times I can say that, he's a really good alternative to Paddy and imo a better all round footballer ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:32 pm So we don't keep back ups? He was 2,5M I don't know how many more times I can say that, he's a really good alternative to Paddy and imo a better all round footballer ..
It's just that Bielsa wont play anybody else at no 9, and probably now if Bamford was injured he would play Rodrigo up front. Having said that, if Paddy was injured I would like to see Roberts be given a chance up front. He might be a revelation.

At least Roberts is paid only 3 or 4 grand a week, so out of the two, I think the club would do best to sell Costa. I have a feeling he will never feature in Bielsa's plans again anyway apart from some bit part roles coming off the bench. Better to try and recoup most of his fee and to save on his wages. He's 4th in line now anyway in the pecking order of wingers.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Bamford gets injured tomorrow for say 1-2 months (just a thought exercise folks, nothing else) then I would think Roberts starts unless we buy a striker in Jan. Rodrigo will stay the 10.

But even if not he's a real cheap option to have if needed ...We do need to have a good U23 and lower sides you know..
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Faaip wrote ...
We're doing well in the prem, I'm not sure right now we should be blaming anyone for success
Yes... and yet so many do... excellent statement...
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

faaip wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:25 pm I don't think 15M is expensive for the prem ...we paid more than that for Rio more than 20 years ago. Costa also key in getting us up imo, which has to be worth 15M

I think Roberts is quality so we'll never agree there, not gotten a chance yet at his favoured position, Forshaw was outstanding for us beginning of last season, JKA was wanted by Bielsa till he wasn't..

Casilla is a good keeper and was our MOTM here several times last season, Roberts was 2.5M, not expensive at all imo for that kind of potential. Weidwald was a mistake but again we were rushed putting a team together at that point

Well we are currently 15th having conceded the highest number of goals of any PL side, and having conceded 6 in the last game. Not something you can rest your laurels on, especially when you consider that the newly promoted Blunts were 6th in the table last season after the same number of games. Look where they are now, so definitely best not to have a false sense of complacency. A number of pundits are concerned that we may be on the verge of being sucked into a relegation dogfight. No need to panic, howeverI would say that so far we have just about done ok. I'm not sure what your definition of success is Faaip, but I can still remember promotion in 1990 followed by 4th and then 1st in the top tier....

Don't forget that before the season started we were a bit of an unknown entity to PL managers. Now they know that they have to pick superior players to our man markers who have pace to drive into acres of space if and when they beat their man. They also know that they just need to put in lots of high balls at set pieces. They also know that we will not change tactics.

By the way, Faaip, although we often have differing opinions it's great that we have firm but polite debate. I respect your opinions, and I think you do mine. Good on you. I don't think you take anything personally, as some are apt to do.
Last edited by CHAPELALLMAN on Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:16 pm Well we are currently 15th having conceded the highest number of goals of any PL side, and having conceded 6 in the last game. Not something you can rest your laurels on, especially when you consider that the newly promoted Blunts were 6th in the table last season after the same number of games. Look where they are now, so definitely best not to have a false sense of complacency. A number of pundits are concerned that we may be on the verge of being sucked into a relegation dogfight. No need to panic, howeverI would say that so far we have just about done ok. I'm not sure what your definition of success is Faaip, but I can still remember promotion in 1990 followed by 4th and then 1st in the top tier....

Don't forget that before the season started we were a bit of an unknown entity to PL managers. Now they know that they have to pick superior players to our man markers who have pace to drive into acres of space. They also know that they just need to put in lots of high balls at set pieces. They also know that we will not change tactics.
We've also had more starting central defensive partnerships in the division than anyone this season so poor concede record comes from that and is no one's fault least of all Rads and Orta.

Most pundits are clueless parrots, just rehashing what someone else has said. I have very little respect for pundits in the main.

This is no longer 1990, it's also not the same game Revie's era saw..

Work clearly needs to be done and we need to get fit but we're not going down this season..and everytime I've said that in the last 15 years we haven't..Trust me I've had to defend that statement more times than I can count in the last 15 years on Leeds forums.

I would make changes but like everyone here would probably make a mess of the club if I were allowed to

Hindsight is 20/20
1964white

Manchester City Thread

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2021-05-10 17.13.28.png

Nickname(s). Citeh, Cityzens,[1] The Citizens, The Sky Blues
Founded. 1880 : 141 years ago as St. Mark's (West Gorton)
Founded. 1887 : 134 years ago as Ardwick Association F.C.
Founded. 1894 :127 years ago as Manchester City
Ground Etihad Stadium
Capacity. 55,017
Owner. City Football Group
Chairman. Khaldoon Al Mubarak
Manager Pep Guardiola
League. Premier League
2021–22 Position. Champions

Forums
https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/ -
https://mancityfans.net/mcfnet/viewforum.php?f=119

Summer signings
Earling Haaland (Dortmund) £52m
Stefan Ortega (Arminia Bielefeld) Free
Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United) £45m
Sergio Gomez (Anderlecht) £11m
Manuel Akanji (Borussia Dortmund)Undisclosed

2022 Friendlies
20 July W 1-2 Club America (NRG Stadium, Houston)
23 July W 0-1 Bayern Munich (Lambeau Field, Green Bay)
30 July L 3-1 Liverpool (Wembley Stadium) Community Shield

Premier League
West Ham 0-2 Manchester C - Haaland x 2
Manc City..4-0 Bournemouth - Gundogan, De Bruyne, Foden, OG
Newcastle 3-3 Manchester C - Gundogan, Haaland, Bernado Silva
Manc City. 4-2 Crystal Palace - Silva, Haaland x 3
Manc City. 6-0 Nottingham F - Haaland x 3, Cancelo, Alvarez x 2
Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester C - Haaland
Wolves ---- 0-3 Manchester C - Grealish, Haaland, Foden
Man City -- 6-3 Manchester U- Haaland x 3, Foden x 3
Man City -- 4-0 Southampton- Cancelo, Foden, Mahrez, Haaland
Liverpool - 1-0 Manchester C

Champions League
Sevilla ----------- 0-4 Manchester C - Haaland x 2, Foden, Dias
Manchester C. 2-1 Dortmund ---- Stones, Haaland
1964white

Re: Manchester City Thread

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2021-05-10 17.23.29.png

Uefa are set to decide by Wednesday whether to switch the Champions League final to Wembley from Istanbul because of travel restrictions.

European football's governing body will meet with UK government officials and the Football Association on Monday to discuss options for the final.

Chelsea face Manchester City in the final on 29 May.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

And yet they have struggled since 10 man Leeds ran them into the ground a few weeks ago :lol:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Even though Chelsea have beaten Citeh twice in recent weeks I still think Citeh will win the Champions League Final when Pep fields his First X1
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Portugal now in the mix to stage the Champions League Final
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jamie Carragher & Gary Neville's picks of the season

Screenshot 2021-05-11 06.28.51.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I love watching Foden, doubt he'll look so special once Southgate gets hold of him in the Euro's

Dias has been sensational, Citeh's defence certainly looks shaky when Pep rests Dias.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 am I love watching Foden, doubt he'll look so special once Southgate gets hold of him in the Euro's

Dias has been sensational, Citeh's defence certainly looks shaky when Pep rests Dias.
I'm beginning to think you're a closet Citeh fan Leon ;-)

:lol:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

whiteswan wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 pm I'm beginning to think you're a closet Citeh fan Leon ;-)

:lol:
Thought it for months Swannie ;-) ... he tends to cream about them too much ... :P
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Could you imagine the damage Foden could do in Roberts's position though...