Crystal Palace Thread - 2022/23 Season Review.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Conor Gallagher- RUMOUR

Post by SG90 »

Hope not. Not only is he bang average, but he looks like a complete bellend to me!

Why are we developing players for Chelski so they benefit?

Why can't we give Shack a chance instead?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:03 am Doesnt seem to fit the criteria.

Better than what we have ? Not really.

Fairly sure Angus Kinnear said somewhere that after the Ben White saga we would never do a straight loan again?

Dont want to be that guy but i find it really hard to believe that Gallagher is the best player we could find for a key position.

Is the JKA case having an impact? The club would never come out and say that but this deal makes no sense to me and screams of cheap temporary solution which i had hoped we left behind when promoted.
I don't think so. It's more clubs are cutting back on spending due to the covid situation and rightly so. If you look, only Villa have spent big this summer and that's because they have sugar daddy owners splashing the cash in the hope of Europe.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:43 am I don't think so. It's more clubs are cutting back on spending due to the covid situation and rightly so. If you look, only Villa have spent big this summer and that's because they have sugar daddy owners splashing the cash in the hope of Europe.
Would be nice to have sugar daddy owners :lol:

Tbf with the Lowy family and the York family plus Radz our backers and Villas arent all that different

Maybe $500mil net worth give or take, maybe Villas have more ambition, i dont know.

Just seems off to finish top 10 and then be signing cheap unambitious loans and improving league rival players.

This may be our last season with MB, he will be 67 next year.

Would have thought one more ambitious push for Europe?
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

No objection to bringing in a loan player, perhaps he could be useful to us, but I do prefer a loan with wn option to buy.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:53 am Would be nice to have sugar daddy owners :lol:

Tbf with the Lowy family and the York family plus Radz our backers and Villas arent all that different

Maybe $500mil net worth give or take, maybe Villas have more ambition, i dont know.

Just seems off to finish top 10 and then be signing cheap unambitious loans and improving league rival players.

This may be our last season with MB, he will be 67 next year.

Would have thought one more ambitious push for Europe?
Not for me. Relying on one person's bank balance means it can all go tits up. Look at Wolves, they were splashing the cash for fun and now they're skint.

I'm not saying we need to throw £30m out there, but aren't there any decent CMs we could get for £5-10m? I would like Herrera, but Man City want £20m which is too much.

Hopefully CG goes to Palace. I want to see Shack get a chance.

Plus Chelski will just recall him anyway in January when he's not starting every week, so it'll be an expensive waste of money like Nketiah.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:03 pm Not for me. Relying on one person's bank balance means it can all go tits up. Look at Wolves, they were splashing the cash for fun and now they're skint.

I'm not saying we need to throw £30m out there, but aren't there any decent CMs we could get for £5-10m? I would like Herrera, but Man City want £20m which is too much.

Hopefully CG goes to Palace. I want to see Shack get a chance.

Plus Chelski will just recall him anyway in January when he's not starting every week, so it'll be an expensive waste of money like Nketiah.
If you want to win trophies and challenge for honours it takes serious money and investment. I want to see u doing that. Whilst the romantic notion of self funding and growing our own crop of stars is nice, its not viable any more.

Football has moved on and like you i havent seen us win a major trophy and ultimately that is what i want.

Agree on Herrera, he seemed ideal and more proven and versatile than Gallagher.

A loan with an option to buy may work?

Agree on Gallagher but we do need a couple of cms imo.

I refuse to believe he is/was our number 1 target.

Koopmeiners was another I hoped for, Gallagher feels like a last resort.
Signed

King Cjay

bobcat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by bobcat »

We lost him to W Brom last season over guaranteed playing time and I imagine we will again this season.
Been gone a long while, but back again
Scoobychief
Manager
Manager

Post by Scoobychief »

disappointing if true
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:17 pm If you want to win trophies and challenge for honours it takes serious money and investment. I want to see u doing that. Whilst the romantic notion of self funding and growing our own crop of stars is nice, its not viable any more.

Football has moved on and like you i havent seen us win a major trophy and ultimately that is what i want.

Agree on Herrera, he seemed ideal and more proven and versatile than Gallagher.

A loan with an option to buy may work?

Agree on Gallagher but we do need a couple of cms imo.

I refuse to believe he is/was our number 1 target.

Koopmeiners was another I hoped for, Gallagher feels like a last resort.
Koopmeiners would be good. I think Man City only want a straight sale for Herrera, for ffp. I still want Kvaratskhelia too haha.

The problem is our two main CMs are in their 30s and after that it's only young players with barely any first team football behind them. If we're bringing in a CM, it has to be permanent and around about 23-25, otherwise things will start to get problematic.

I don't see how we win with signing Gallagher on loan. He won't start over Dallas or Klich, so he'll be recalled, and if he does and smashes it, we'll be priced out of a permanent deal.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

bobcat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:32 pm We lost him to W Brom last season over guaranteed playing time and I imagine we will again this season.
Good point actually.

Victor can do all the presentations he wants but ultimately Chelsea will want guaranteed game time.

Unless VO tells them lies then no way he can guarantee that .

Chelsea know from our past loan deals (Blackman, Brown, Baker) Bielsa doesnt guarantee anyone game time.

Hopefully that puts them off.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:01 pm Koopmeiners would be good. I think Man City only want a straight sale for Herrera, for ffp. I still want Kvaratskhelia too haha.

The problem is our two main CMs are in their 30s and after that it's only young players with barely any first team football behind them. If we're bringing in a CM, it has to be permanent and around about 23-25, otherwise things will start to get problematic.

I don't see how we win with signing Gallagher on loan. He won't start over Dallas or Klich, so he'll be recalled, and if he does and smashes it, we'll be priced out of a permanent deal.
Koopmeiners would be good but it seems we arent in for him. Kvaratskhelia gone cold to, all links seem to point to Lang, Kent and Dan James.

None particularly mouth watering.

Agree on the 30s point, we have quite a few in their 30s now and last thing you want is a Palace situation.

Agree on Gallagher he seems like a squad filler and we should only be after first 11 players to turn our previous first 11 players into squad players.

Hope it doesnt come off for the reasons ypu say.
Signed

King Cjay

White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Nandez, Pereira, Cunha, :love: erm, no, tell you what, we'll go with the legend that is Conor Gallagher :?

He went to WBA last season for game time, and that worked out really well under the dinosaurship of Big Sam :roll:

Imagine he'd prefer to stay in London, as Patrick Vieira's Crystal Palace are supposed to be interested, and I think Eze picked up a torn achilles heel injury in May. No way he starts ahead of Eze.

I can't for the life of me fathom what he could bring that improves us?, Other than he can breathe, and maybe pick up some hair gel/mousse endorsements for the club :x

When Tyler Roberts is a better option then you know you've reached the bottom of the barrel :cry:

Maybe he's cover for Forshaw :lol:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:00 pm Koopmeiners would be good but it seems we arent in for him. Kvaratskhelia gone cold to, all links seem to point to Lang, Kent and Dan James.

None particularly mouth watering.

Agree on the 30s point, we have quite a few in their 30s now and last thing you want is a Palace situation.

Agree on Gallagher he seems like a squad filler and we should only be after first 11 players to turn our previous first 11 players into squad players.

Hope it doesnt come off for the reasons ypu say.
I agree with this Cjay, might as well have kept hold of Useless O'Kane :roll: Or is he still here?

Surely we need players who can go straight into the first team, or provide quality competition for the first eleven. If we're just loaning bench fillers for one season then that's a completely backwards move and not one that a team hoping to challenge for the top six and Europe should be making.

I'm hoping this deal is just an April fool come late and provides a distraction to the deal we're actually doing.

If it was Pereira then I could see the logic, as he still shone and was a really quality attacking threat in every match I saw him play last season, in what was a dire side that had no ambition.

Maybe Radz has spent all his dosh, and had to break the kids' piggy-bank and the contents of that = Conor Gallagher :duno:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If he's that s**t why don't Chelsea just sell him? Looks like a ready made #4 or #8 to me, Bielsa would make him top class, looks a top tackler and dangerous with ball at feet. I can see why Chelsea don't wanna sell, and I can see why Bielsa likes him, reminds me a bit of Gary Mac.

I don't like the loan bit either but that's not down to us and he would improve the matchday squad once he settles

I hate you tube vids as they cherry pick but we keep getting them here as some kind of proof so
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am If he's that s**t why don't Chelsea just sell him? Looks like a ready made #4 or #8 to me, Bielsa would make him top class, looks a top tackler and dangerous with ball at feet. I can see why Chelsea don't wanna sell, and I can see why Bielsa likes him, reminds me a bit of Gary Mac.

I don't like the loan bit either but that's not down to us and he would improve the matchday squad once he settles

I hate you tube vids as they cherry pick but we keep getting them here as some kind of proof so
Because they want to keep making a mint on loan deals. Lewis Baker is still at Chelsea btw, despite having 0 chance of making it there.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:00 pmKvaratskhelia gone cold to, all links seem to point to Kent and Dan James.
Deary me, how depressing. :cry:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

I'm completely underwhelmed by the idea of a one season loan for Gallagher.

Even if it works out and Bielsa turns him into a baller, are we then gonna hang around Chelsea's front gate like a jilted boyfriend, as we did with Ben White and BHA, while Chelsea play hard to get?

Ben White helped to get us to where we needed to be, but still leaves a bitter taste, as we've drastically improved a player that's then given a leg up to two of our competitors. Are we really that desperate to be still trying to make these kind of deals?

I could sort of see the logic when we were seriously short of dosh and desperate to get out of the Championship, but that changed when we got promoted and had a successful first Premiership season.

We still have not adequately replaced Samu Saiz who left on December 17th 2018 :shock:

Hopefully, we have a number 10 lined up, as I don't see Gallagher being that at all. Maybe we've put all our eggs in one basket and Rodrigo will transform into the 10 we really need? I do believe he'll have a brilliant season, but if Paddy gets injured he's cover for that position and our number 10 is then Tyler Roberts.

Number 10 is the most important position to fill imo. We've resolved our big weakness at left back, hopefully, as that area has been exposed continually over the last umpteen seasons. Come on Victor get us a quality 10 in.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am I'm completely underwhelmed by the idea of a one season loan for Gallagher.

Even if it works out and Bielsa turns him into a baller, are we then gonna hang around Chelsea's front gate like a jilted boyfriend, as we did with Ben White and BHA, while Chelsea play hard to get?

Ben White helped to get us to where we needed to be, but still leaves a bitter taste, as we've drastically improved a player that's then given a leg up to two of our competitors. Are we really that desperate to be still trying to make these kind of deals?

I could sort of see the logic when we were seriously short of dosh and desperate to get out of the Championship, but that changed when we got promoted and had a successful first Premiership season.

We still have not adequately replaced Samu Saiz who left on December 17th 2018 :shock:

Hopefully, we have a number 10 lined up, as I don't see Gallagher being that at all. Maybe we've put all our eggs in one basket and Rodrigo will transform into the 10 we really need? I do believe he'll have a brilliant season, but if Paddy gets injured he's cover for that position and our number 10 is then Tyler Roberts.

Number 10 is the most important position to fill imo. We've resolved our big weakness at left back, hopefully, as that area has been exposed continually over the last umpteen seasons. Come on Victor get us a quality 10 in.
I'm just hoping this is all just a smokescreen for another signing.

Apparently he turned us down a few weeks ago and he turned us down last year too. Plus he looks like a right Tory. :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:47 am I agree with this Cjay, might as well have kept hold of Useless O'Kane :roll: Or is he still here?

Surely we need players who can go straight into the first team, or provide quality competition for the first eleven. If we're just loaning bench fillers for one season then that's a completely backwards move and not one that a team hoping to challenge for the top six and Europe should be making.

I'm hoping this deal is just an April fool come late and provides a distraction to the deal we're actually doing.

If it was Pereira then I could see the logic, as he still shone and was a really quality attacking threat in every match I saw him play last season, in what was a dire side that had no ambition.

Maybe Radz has spent all his dosh, and had to break the kids' piggy-bank and the contents of that = Conor Gallagher :duno:
We finally released O'Shame this summer :)

Gallagher feels to me like the last name on the list. By that i mean Phil Hay or maybe even Orta himself said in an interview (i cant remember) that he starts out with a list of 5 for each position.

It ranges from the exceptionally ambitious top target and goes down to the mundane meh do a job cheapest 5th target, bet thats Gallagher. Its hard to imagine that he is any higher. As you say Pereira was the standout performer for WBA, him i could understand, Gallagher i cant

Hopefully its a smokescreen and its being used to pressure our top target into a decision.

The loan only is so tinpot, i thought we had left those days behind. We will have Bielsa for a limited time (maybe even just 1 more season). We should now be backing him with the best players we can to allow him to make maybe one final European push. Not paying Chelsea for the privilege of developing their players for them.

To me this has is VO pushing a player on Bielsa like he did with Nketiah. By that i mean he isnt someone MB personally rates like he did with Raph, Rodrigo, he is someone Orta has talked him in to.

This would undoubtedly end in Chelsea recalling in January over lack of game time.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am Number 10 is the most important position to fill imo. We've resolved our big weakness at left back, hopefully, as that area has been exposed continually over the last umpteen seasons. Come on Victor get us a quality 10 in.
Sorry to depress you but paraphrasing a bit Phil Hay said that "Originally the club were interested in a number 10 type player but after the impressive form of Rodrigo and Roberts towards the end of the season they no longer feel that is a priority".

For what its worth i agree with you, we have lacked a proper creative force with pace and dribbling ability through the middle since Saiz left.

He wasnt perfect but he gave us a different dimension that i wish we still had.

Also Rodrigo did have a great end of season, problem was ge was playing as a striker most of the time. As for Roberts lets not even bother, impressive :roll:
Signed

King Cjay