Positives & Negatives v Burnley ???? (one of each please)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Re: Positives & Negatives v Burnley ???? (one of each please)

Post by Boo Radley »

Positive - looks like we’re growing in most parts of the team

Negative - if we show a physical side we are quickly blown for it and too often shown a card as well. - in a nutshell, poor quality of refereeing.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:28 pm + I think Rodrigo showed his potential today with 2 sumptuous finishes. Perhaps £30m is not looking too outlandish after all

- Charlie Taylor plays for Burnley not us. I wonder if he’s starting to regret his move?
Very very good today. I'd have him back personally but I get why he's persona non grata here..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

faaip wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:48 pm Very very good today. I'd have him back personally but I get why he's persona non grata here..
Their best player by a mile faaip, wouldn’t have him back now though. Just wish he hadn’t gone in the 1st place.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

+ Great team performance
- Another quiet match for Paddy. I'm not convinced by Roberts and to a lesser extent Poveda.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:45 pm Positive: Rodrigo clinical again. Clearly wants to go to the Euros.
Negative: I really rate him, but Struijk was poor today and almost cost us the equaliser until Meslier saved his arse.
Have to disagree with you SG. apart from one silly error I thought Pascal was superb

The stats back opinion up

10 clearances (Most)
9 duels won (joint-most)
7 defensive aerial duels won (Most)
4 ball recoveries
1 block

How often do you see Coops making so many defensive headers/duels/clearances in a game?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:37 pm Have to disagree with you SG. apart from one silly error I thought Pascal was superb

The stats back opinion up

10 clearances (Most)
9 duels won (joint-most)
7 defensive aerial duels won (Most)
4 ball recoveries
1 block

How often do you see Coops making so many defensive headers/duels/clearances in a game?
I don't rate Cooper at all and want Struijk to keep his place in the side. Just thought he was below the high standard he's set recently.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

Our defensive prowess has improved in leaps and bounds recently, and a good part of that is down to Cooper no longer being a 1st choice starter. Llorente coming more and more into his own and Struijk adding more of an aerial and physical presence accounts for the rest. I don't miss Cooper's red mist moments - he always has a major mistake in him, and his shirt pulling at set pieces is dangerous.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:19 pm Our defensive prowess has improved in leaps and bounds recently, and a good part of that is down to Cooper no longer being a 1st choice starter. Llorente coming more and more into his own and Struijk adding more of an aerial and physical presence accounts for the rest. I don't miss Cooper's red mist moments - he always has a major mistake in him, and his shirt pulling at set pieces is dangerous.
Establishing the best CB pairing is one of the main reasons why we are defending efficiently :tup:
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

1964white wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:01 pm Establishing the best CB pairing is one of the main reasons why we are defending efficiently :tup:
:tup:
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:19 pm Our defensive prowess has improved in leaps and bounds recently, and a good part of that is down to Cooper no longer being a 1st choice starter. Llorente coming more and more into his own and Struijk adding more of an aerial and physical presence accounts for the rest. I don't miss Cooper's red mist moments - he always has a major mistake in him, and his shirt pulling at set pieces is dangerous.
Cooper's come a long way but standards have climbed massively and not everyone is going to be able to meet them. To varying degrees, everyone has matched, exceeded or been a bit exposed by those new standards. Cooper may well be one of the latter or he may not but one thing's for sure - Struijk has nowhere to go but up and has earned that starting place beyond all doubt.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

mothbanquet wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:48 pm Cooper's come a long way but standards have climbed massively and not everyone is going to be able to meet them. To varying degrees, everyone has matched, exceeded or been a bit exposed by those new standards. Cooper may well be one of the latter or he may not but one thing's for sure - Struijk has nowhere to go but up and has earned that starting place beyond all doubt.
I think Cooper has made the absolute most of his abilities, and I applaud that. He did a great job for the club in the Championship, but I think the limit of his abilities is somewhat exposed in the PL. Still, he will be a good squad player for next season.

I'm not sure how Koch fits in though - is he also going to be a squad player, waiting for a C/B or Kalvin to be injured or suspended ? I don't think that it's by chance that Kalvin was so outstanding today - there is a now rival for his position.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I don't get all the knocking of Cooper. I would be happy with any 2 of our 4 centrebacks and any 2 I think would have helped us look strong if they'd had a run of games together. It was the continual disruption at the back through injuries and suspensions that made us weak rather than the players.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

positives: another very comfortable win, rodrigo's two goals and great finishes!

negatives: meslier flapped at a few crosses and looked a bit uneasy at times although made a couple of good saves still
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:15 pm I don't get all the knocking of Cooper. I would be happy with any 2 of our 4 centrebacks and any 2 I think would have helped us look strong if they'd had a run of games together. It was the continual disruption at the back through injuries and suspensions that made us weak rather than the players.
Neither do I, probably the best of the 4 transitioning defence to attack. They all have their weaknesses but I think the most complete is Koch
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:15 pm I don't get all the knocking of Cooper. I would be happy with any 2 of our 4 centrebacks and any 2 I think would have helped us look strong if they'd had a run of games together. It was the continual disruption at the back through injuries and suspensions that made us weak rather than the players.
It wouldn't call it knocking per se (in most cases at least), but we're at the point where we have four fully fit CBs and the ones we have starting are performing at such a high level it's bound to draw comparisons. It's a good situation to be in and the complete opposite of what we've had most of the season so maybe we should just be grateful we're blessed with options?
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Having more options in more positions might mean that in order to give them all regular action we will be forced to compete properly in cup competitions.

Rather than just sacking them off.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Llorente/Struijk as a CB pair

Conceded six goals in eight games.

Defending set-pieces much more efficiently as we now have height, physicality & class at the back.

4 won
3 drawn
1 lost

Add to this unbeaten v five European Super League clubs.

Say it all really!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:52 am Neither do I, probably the best of the 4 transitioning defence to attack. They all have their weaknesses but I think the most complete is Koch
Our run of form & stats suggest a different story.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:51 am Our run of form & stats suggest a different story.
I don't do stats as they only look at the positive so they're heavily biased.