Aston Villa Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Aston Villa Thread

Post by Cjay »

visitingvillan wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:28 pm not exactly sure what to make of our interest in ESR. Think he's a plausible target from our PoV, but Arsenal are never selling at that price. Maybe we are doing an agent a favor with his contact demands with Arsenal and getting more from them. Or we could just be trolling them :lol:

Also just confirmed Ashley Young. Very happy with him on a free, it will free up funds for other positions and give us cover in several positions
It was a strange bid really.

Smith Rowe is an Arsenal fan, been an Arsenal player since he was 9 years old, would he even want to join Villa? Maybe as you say it was Villa doing an agent a favour to get Arsenal to cough up more money and Villa benefit another way somehow down the line?

Ashley Young replacing Grealish down that right? :)
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 am It was a strange bid really.

Smith Rowe is an Arsenal fan, been an Arsenal player since he was 9 years old, would he even want to join Villa? Maybe as you say it was Villa doing an agent a favour to get Arsenal to cough up more money and Villa benefit another way somehow down the line?

Ashley Young replacing Grealish down that right? :)
yeah, it was quite a strange one. I don't know if he would want to join Villa but this had to have come from the player/agent side. Also a bid starting at 25 m was very weird because it was always going to be rejected but he is going through contract talks. I assume that it was, but looking at his agent's clients, I'm not so sure there's anyone (on transfermarkt he has 3 clients and 2 of them are clearly not at a PL level).

Ashley Young for me was a smart signing on a free because he can cover both flanks as a full back and a winger (maybe not well but)
visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Boo Radley wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:13 pm It has to be part of a plan to reconstruct the midfield after Grealish has been sold this summer. There is no way that Villa are splashing so much cash for two players playing a similar role to their most expensive existing player.
As I just said in my last post, I don't really know what to tank about the ESR bid.

I honestly don't know though about if we're selling Jack. Most believe that Buendia is coming in to play on the right, which then we have still a hole at the #10 position. City have the one mostly linked with him but I still don't see where he fits in there unless they sell both Sterling and Bernardo Silva. Still confused why they aren't more linked with Kane/Haaland because they clearly need a #9. Also, I'm not sure what the owners stance will be -- they are trying to get us back among the 'elite' and I don't know what message would be sent if we sell him. As you say, it's strange to be splashing the cash for players so similar to Jack but our owners have splashed the cash every summer they've been here so far.

also, there is the part of our fanbase who will never accept Ashely Young after he left 10 years ago (and just rejoined yesterday). That will likely be the same with Jack (I don't think it will have too much effect on him, but he is a villa lad since childhood so it might influence him, who knows).
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The Grealish hype and myth.

https://youtu.be/hOzCcbRedg4

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

visitingvillan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:47 pm As I just said in my last post, I don't really know what to tank about the ESR bid.

I honestly don't know though about if we're selling Jack. Most believe that Buendia is coming in to play on the right, which then we have still a hole at the #10 position. City have the one mostly linked with him but I still don't see where he fits in there unless they sell both Sterling and Bernardo Silva. Still confused why they aren't more linked with Kane/Haaland because they clearly need a #9. Also, I'm not sure what the owners stance will be -- they are trying to get us back among the 'elite' and I don't know what message would be sent if we sell him. As you say, it's strange to be splashing the cash for players so similar to Jack but our owners have splashed the cash every summer they've been here so far.

also, there is the part of our fanbase who will never accept Ashely Young after he left 10 years ago (and just rejoined yesterday). That will likely be the same with Jack (I don't think it will have too much effect on him, but he is a villa lad since childhood so it might influence him, who knows).
Given Villa's struggles last season when Grealish was out of the side you would imagine Villa would be keen to have someone who could step into Grealish's position when needed and also has the versatility to play in other positions too.

Wouldn't be surprised though if City were after him as possibly a replacement for Sterling who I think has regressed this last season. I think Pep has lost confidence in Sterling although I do think, like you, that they need a number 9 more.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Villa certainly splashing the cash this season, pushing on for European footy no doubt.

It shows a level of ambition which is lacking in some other Prem sides
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Many reports today that Man City will offer £100million for Jack Grealish and that this is genuine and City will do it when the Euros end (ludicrous money).

But also that Villa's owners will offer Grealish a new contract and want to keep him ( the exact same attitude we should when it comes to key players have imo, anything less is unacceptable)

Fair play to the Villa owners but City tend to get players eventually.

Also how does Grealish feel? he may be a Villa fan but he is also only a few months shy of his 26th birthday, he is long past being a prospect and as of yet no trophies to show for it.

He only has to look at Harry Kane who is a few years older and see what its like to be pushing 30 and have no real achievements to show for your hard work.

Does his loyalty to Villa outweigh his natural competitive instinct?

Also its common knowledge that he did want to join Spurs a few years back, it isnt like he never has wanted to leave Villa he just couldnt, this may be different?
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Perhaps Villa spending big in an attempt to become a real force is a factor in him staying at Villa?
Going into their third season in the prem they are showing a lot of ambition to challenge for top 6.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

If Citeh pay £100m for Grealish and we've got Harrison from Citeh for £10m it shows what a ridiculous sport this is.

Harrison out stats Grealish by about 30% but comes at a 10th of the price. So cracking business on our behalf.

I would hope Pep will stop the blatant diving if the deal goes ahead.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Prisoner37 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:17 pm If Citeh pay £100m for Grealish and we've got Harrison from Citeh for £10m it shows what a ridiculous sport this is.

Harrison out stats Grealish by about 30% but comes at a 10th of the price. So cracking business on our behalf.

Agreed, I wouldnt hold your breath about Pep stopping the diving...he has not stopped Sterling's blatant foul play especially on GK's
visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Cjay wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:13 am Many reports today that Man City will offer £100million for Jack Grealish and that this is genuine and City will do it when the Euros end (ludicrous money).

But also that Villa's owners will offer Grealish a new contract and want to keep him ( the exact same attitude we should when it comes to key players have imo, anything less is unacceptable)

Fair play to the Villa owners but City tend to get players eventually.

Also how does Grealish feel? he may be a Villa fan but he is also only a few months shy of his 26th birthday, he is long past being a prospect and as of yet no trophies to show for it.

He only has to look at Harry Kane who is a few years older and see what its like to be pushing 30 and have no real achievements to show for your hard work.

Does his loyalty to Villa outweigh his natural competitive instinct?

Also its common knowledge that he did want to join Spurs a few years back, it isnt like he never has wanted to leave Villa he just couldnt, this may be different?
Can't say the interest wasn't coming, it's been rumored pretty much since the end of the season.

For outsiders and city fans, it probably seems to be a ludicrous number but for a lot of villa fans it is in their (and my) minds it is an opening offer as we value him much higher than that. I don't know what our owners are going to think of this and what they will do. All because of the just obscene amounts of money that's poured into the game in the past decade specific to England. Don't think you'd see similar for other players outside of England/CL regulars in other major European countries. Our owners have been saying all the right stuff "we want to return Villa to where it belongs, the top of English football" and other similar quotes. Selling our best player will (rightly or wrongly) raise concerns and questions among our fan base.

Everything regarding what Jack thinks is obviously going to be conjecture as he won't come out and say whatever is really his priority (well he might because he seems to say lots of things that many others wouldn't). I think he obviously wants to win things (as does any professional footballer) but he & his family have a very long history with Villa so that might come into his thinking.
visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:29 pm Perhaps Villa spending big in an attempt to become a real force is a factor in him staying at Villa?
Going into their third season in the prem they are showing a lot of ambition to challenge for top 6.
That's what has been the story in terms of our recruitment this summer: buying players to play alongside Jack. And splashing the money every summer so far.
visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Prisoner37 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:17 pm If Citeh pay £100m for Grealish and we've got Harrison from Citeh for £10m it shows what a ridiculous sport this is.

Jack doesn't blatantly dive ;-)

Every player goes down too easy because if they don't, they won't be given actual fouls in favor. The standard of refereeing has to improve before we see big improvements in decreasing diving/play acting imo. These Euros have been really good for the officiating so far and hope we can see that continue on in domestic leagues
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

visitingvillan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:51 pm Jack doesn't blatantly dive ;-)

Every player goes down too easy because if they don't, they won't be given actual fouls in favor. The standard of refereeing has to improve before we see big improvements in decreasing diving/play acting imo. These Euros have been really good for the officiating so far and hope we can see that continue on in domestic leagues
Sorry mate you wont find much agreement for that here. Dont blame the refereeing.
Contact isnt always a foul but when you run into players then throw yourself to the ground it is simulation.

In fact he cant even drive his car without colliding with somethong. :)

He is a cheating git. Just ask Azilicutea. Got the guy red carded, later rescinded but yeah blame the ref not Grealish.

Here is a classic. https://youtu.be/PNaNc3X6IK0

Perhaps a red card by an eagle eyed ref in the Euros might make him grow up a bit.
'
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

3 match ban handed out after the game - whether the ref spotted it or not and the problem would soon end. You just have to look back to football from the 60s,70s,80s to see how much contact is really needed for a player to go down.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

visitingvillan wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:46 pm Can't say the interest wasn't coming, it's been rumored pretty much since the end of the season.

For outsiders and city fans, it probably seems to be a ludicrous number but for a lot of villa fans it is in their (and my) minds it is an opening offer as we value him much higher than that. I don't know what our owners are going to think of this and what they will do. All because of the just obscene amounts of money that's poured into the game in the past decade specific to England. Don't think you'd see similar for other players outside of England/CL regulars in other major European countries. Our owners have been saying all the right stuff "we want to return Villa to where it belongs, the top of English football" and other similar quotes. Selling our best player will (rightly or wrongly) raise concerns and questions among our fan base.

Everything regarding what Jack thinks is obviously going to be conjecture as he won't come out and say whatever is really his priority (well he might because he seems to say lots of things that many others wouldn't). I think he obviously wants to win things (as does any professional footballer) but he & his family have a very long history with Villa so that might come into his thinking.
He is a Villa fan and your owners are wealthy and probably arent desperate for money but i do wonder if he is a bit fed up of carrying Villa yet?

Despite the fact you have spent the best part of £250million since promotion you managed 1 point per game during his 12 games out which is standard really for your form when he is injured and is relegation form.

Furthermore as this thread shows

https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... cost+table

You actually underachieved last season finishing 11th with the 10th most expensive squad.

Grealish himself may not know things like this but you would imagine his agents and advisors do and when broken down like that it may change his thinking?

He is coming into his prime now, realistically are Villa likely to break the top 4 and be a Champions League team before he is out of his prime?

Also that shin issue is always going to be a nagging issue it seems, he may not have that many prime years.

KP and Grealish are almost the same age and i suppose the question for both is do they feel their boyhood clubs can deliver trophies and achievements.
Signed

King Cjay

visitingvillan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by visitingvillan »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:18 pm He is a Villa fan and your owners are wealthy and probably arent desperate for money but i do wonder if he is a bit fed up of carrying Villa yet?

Despite the fact you have spent the best part of £250million since promotion you managed 1 point per game during his 12 games out which is standard really for your form when he is injured and is relegation form.

Furthermore as this thread shows

https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... cost+table

You actually underachieved last season finishing 11th with the 10th most expensive squad.

Grealish himself may not know things like this but you would imagine his agents and advisors do and when broken down like that it may change his thinking?

He is coming into his prime now, realistically are Villa likely to break the top 4 and be a Champions League team before he is out of his prime?

Also that shin issue is always going to be a nagging issue it seems, he may not have that many prime years.

KP and Grealish are almost the same age and i suppose the question for both is do they feel their boyhood clubs can deliver trophies and achievements.
Yep, we aren't that good without him (still think we would've survived last year if we didn't have him b/c all the 3 relegated sides were terrible. It's why we went and signed Buendia. Lift some of the pressure off of Jack.

Yeah it's a very interesting table, (Jack being out for a while did hurt us) and a few teams had really remarkable seasons. And even though we finished 11th, we were quite unlucky with this season -- first time in the PL history that a team with 55 points didn't finish top half.

I think that's the conundrum... If Jack stayed healthy the whole season I could've easily seen us finishing with 10+ more points... but we will never know. As regards right now, I think most of our fanbase is expecting to challenge top 4/6 next year (especially with Everton & Spurs not having managers-- there are a number of fans on villa forums who would want Smith gone if we 'disappoint'.

the last 2 things I think can kind of go together. any of these young homegrown talents who are passionate fans of the club they are signed to will now cost a fortune b/c PL sides don't need the money from sales. It's why I don't know if our owners would even accept 100m for him. And injury wise, I don't recall the last season he's played completely free from injury. From all the diving he does, he gets hacked and whacked around a large amount.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Be a real statement of intent that from Villa.

Fair play.

Sometimes you just have to pay the money for quality.

You cant always get bargains for relatively small fees like Raph.

Its something imo we need to adjust to at the top level.

Still bugs me that we refused to pay £30m for De Paul :cry:

Anyhow that would be a top signing for Villa.

That being said it does highlight the absurdity of the Buendia price, £40mil for a 2nd division player or £30m for a Bundesliga star
Signed

King Cjay

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Friendlies
Walsall 0-4 Aston Villa
Stoke 2-0 Aston Villa
Bristol City 0-3 Aston Villa
7 Aug v Sevilla (H)
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

John Terry has left his role as Aston Villa assistant head coach to pursue his "objective of becoming a manager".

"It has always been my ambition to move into football management and, providing the right opportunity presents itself, I feel ready to take up such a challenge,"

Terry said it was "an extremely difficult decision to move on" and added: "I want to be as respectful to the manager and everyone at Aston Villa as I can. Having given my future serious consideration over the summer, I don't feel it is fair to move into a new season without being certain of seeing that through.

"My immediate plan is to spend some quality time with my family and, thereafter, hopefully take up some invitations to visit clubs and managers around Europe to develop my aim and objective of becoming a manager."

Screenshot 2021-07-26 13.42.26.png