Southampton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Casilla, Cooper and Rodrigo all start

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Match Thread Southampton v Leeds Utd Match Thread - Casilla, Cooper and Rodrigo all start

Post by Ellandback1 »

Tuesday 18th May 18:00 | St Mary Stadium

Leeds make the 250 mile trip to the South Coast to face Southampton at St Mary's on Tuesday evening to play in front of supporters for the first time since December. The Whites are in the form of their lives. If you excuse them for their last trip down to the South Coast (where they lost against Brighton 2-0), they have not lost since West Ham away in early March. Leeds are currently 10 points ahead of the Saints, and are separated by four places. Recent home wins against Fulham and Crystal Palace have elevated Ralph Hasenhüttl's team to 14th. Leeds will keep the pressure on Arsenal and Everton who are within striking distance with just two games left.

Leeds have no new injury doubts, though Marcelo Bielsa has released Robin Koch and Mateusz Klich early to prepare for the Euros. This means Stuart Dallas to the No 8 role with Rodrigo playing in the attacking midfield role. Tyler Roberts is on the bench alongside Pablo Hernandez who passed a late fitness test. Captain Liam Cooper returns to the heart of defence alongside Diego Llorente with Pascal Struijk dropping to the bench. A surprise change also sees Kiko Casilla starting between the sticks in place of Illan Meslier. Southampton are boosted by the news that Oriol Romeu could return after nearly three months out with an ankle injury. Defender Jan Bednarek is available again after missing the win over Fulham with a heel problem.

The teams last met back in February when the Whites ended up three nil winners. Patrick Bamford scored his 13th goal of the season to help Leeds end a run of back-to-back defeats, striking early in the second half, timing his run to perfection to beat offside and latch on to Tyler Roberts' through-ball before firing a low shot into the far corner. A neat Stuart Dallas finish from the edge of the box and Raphinha's superb free-kick sealed the points. Leeds are looking to complete a league double over Southampton for the first time since the 2005-06 Championship season. They last won both Premier League fixtures in a season against the Saints in 2001-02.

Southampton have won five of their last six home league games against Leeds, including the last three in a row. Leeds have won half of their 18 Premier League away games this season - they last reached double figures in a top-flight campaign back in 1973-74, when they won the title. They could become just the second side to finish a Premier League campaign with no away draws, emulating Tottenham in 2018-19. Leeds have won four of their five midweek league matches this season, including both away fixtures (5-0 v West Brom, 2-1 v Newcastle). The have scored a top-flight high of 13 goals from outside the penalty area this season.

mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Re: Southampton v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by mothbanquet »

Southampton's form has improved greatly since the last time we played them. However, so has ours. I expect us to win this one.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Neither Koch and Klich will feature, would expect Dallas to return to the No.8 role.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Ayling
Alioski
Llorente
Struijk
Phillips
Dallas
Harrison
Raphinha
Roberts
Rodrigo

for me
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

The stronger we finish the easier it will be to attract top talent.
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

Meslier
Ayling Llorente Struijk Alioski
Phillips
Dallas Rodrigo
Raphinha Bamford Harrison

--

That'd be my selection... we've seen enough of Tyler Roberts unfortunately.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:02 am Meslier
Ayling
Alioski
Llorente
Struijk
Phillips
Dallas
Harrison
Raphinha
Roberts
Rodrigo

for me
:tup: Agree with that team
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

One would expect Klich back next season then as a valued first team member ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:02 pm The stronger we finish the easier it will be to attract top talent.
Yes, Elland. We already have a number of quality players and a great team spirit in the squad, plus the best coach in the world. Some of our players may also shine at the Euros.

We're on a real upwards trajectory, I believe we'll make top 6 next season and qualify for Europe comfortably.

Southampton's form in 2021 is absolutely shocking:
Played 20
Won 5
Drew 2
Lost 13
Goals For: 22
Goals Against 44

I believe we will absolutely roast them :love:
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:49 pm One would expect Klich back next season then as a valued first team member ..
I really hope so, he's been very good in the last two matches and back to his former self. I've kept hearing rumours that he has a hip injury and has had to have regular injections to keep playing, which would explain the dip in form.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ron Swanson wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:13 pm Meslier
Ayling Llorente Struijk Alioski
Phillips
Dallas Rodrigo
Raphinha Bamford Harrison

--

That'd be my selection... we've seen enough of Tyler Roberts unfortunately.
But has MB seen enough of him? :)
Ron Swanson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ron Swanson »

White Riot wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:56 pm But has MB seen enough of him? :)
Hah.

There is clearly a reason why he’s on several million a year and I have a day job.

But I just don’t see a PL player there, let alone one who can hold down a place in a side already in the top half of the table and looking to progress.

Copper, Llorente and Struijk have all scored more goals than him this season in similar/fewer games.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Roberts leads a charmed life doesnt he?

Klich dropping out gives him two more chances to show us something
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

He’s offski I reckon, he probably realises that when everyone’s fit he isn’t getting a game, there’s talk of attacking reinforcements in the summer and young Greenwood will be staking a claim shortly from the U23s.

A move is likely best for him at this point. Hope we get a few quid and include a sell-on clause or buy-back option. You know he’ll turn into a world-beater as soon as he’s out the door.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Based on our recent form and performances we should win really.

But maybe the fans give Southampton an edge? Or maybe it is the opposite? Increase the nerves for them.

Id like to see Shacks and Rodrigo given a start in place of Bamford and Klich.

Think Rodders earned that chance playing through the middle and tbh i think Paddy's chance of going to the Euros is gone now.

Shacks is make or break imo, its become abundantly clear MB isnt convinced and therefore id give him a last chance.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

White Riot wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:52 pm
Southampton's form in 2021 is absolutely shocking:
Played 20
Won 5
Drew 2
Lost 13
Goals For: 22
Goals Against 44

I believe we will absolutely roast them :love:
Thats us losing now, well done :verysad: :lol:

Just for comparison sake though.

Played 20.
Won 9
Drew 3
Lost 8
Scored 27
Conceded 23
Points 30

8th in the form table.

Southampton are 19th. . . .

Must . . . . Not . . . . Say . . . .anything . . . Confident
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Form tables mean nothing when nothing's at stake. Southampton could come out like Brazil or Pudsey Athletic (assuming there is one!).

There's nothing at stake for them yet a higher EPL place for us counts for more dosh.

Apart from that it's pride and MB won't want them to slip up.
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Cjay wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:22 pm Thats us losing now, well done :verysad: :lol:

Just for comparison sake though.

Played 20.
Won 9
Drew 3
Lost 8
Scored 27
Conceded 23
Points 30

8th in the form table.

Southampton are 19th. . . .

Must . . . . Not . . . . Say . . . .anything . . . Confident
I'm very confident and we are on a real high. They won't know what's hit them :strong: :strong:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Norm wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:05 am Form tables mean nothing when nothing's at stake. Southampton could come out like Brazil or Pudsey Athletic (assuming there is one!).

There's nothing at stake for them yet a higher EPL place for us counts for more dosh.

Apart from that it's pride and MB won't want them to slip up.
This and fans should be in an end of season party mood and happy to be back in the ground
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Looking forward to this one. It will be interesting to see how RH goes about it. I think they normally have a go and attack, so it should suit us and them and be like the Basketball game we apparently like. Come on the boys put down another marker.