Brentford Thread.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Brentford Thread

Post by 1964white »

How good is Toney?

Pontus leads his team to a fine away victory at Wolves, attacked & defended brilliantly, only two goals conceded in their first five games.

1964white

Re: Brentford Thread

Post by 1964white »

Captain Pontus leading the Bees into the top nine in a thrilling game v Liverpool, Pontus had a hand prior to Brentford's goal second goal crashing his shot against the bar.

The bees have conceded five goals in their six games, with Jansson & Pinnock a dominant combination at the back.

Thank god we don't have to play them until December at ER & then in our last game of the season at their new stadium, hope we don't need the points.

eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Brentford Thread - Captain Pontus leading his troops!

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

What is all this praise on Pontus and Brentford he has left us lets move on we did not miss him the two seasons after he left following his hissy fit against vila.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I like Pontus but he wouldn't get in a Leeds side, he'd probably be the CB 4 or 5 for us
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

PJ is and always was a better player than Cooper imo.

Better defender, better on the ball, better passer.

The only reason we kept Cooper not him is because Cooper is off the field probably a more passive person.

PJ rocked the boat and spoke his mind.

Pleased for Pontus and wish him nothing but the best
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:46 pm What is all this praise on Pontus and Brentford he has left us lets move on we did not miss him the two seasons after he left following his hissy fit against vila.
Pontus has done well at Brentford, as he did at Leeds
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:04 pm PJ is and always was a better player than Cooper imo.

Better defender, better on the ball, better passer.

The only reason we kept Cooper not him is because Cooper is off the field probably a more passive person.

PJ rocked the boat and spoke his mind.

Pleased for Pontus and wish him nothing but the best
I'm glad he's done well, got a raw deal for being competitive imo!

You need players with a bit of edge in a team, we are too nicey nicey at times.
Mick Jones shoulder
Manager
Manager

Post by Mick Jones shoulder »

He'd be in our side due to the fact he isn't made of biscuits. Not much point having anyone who is supposedly better getting splinters in their arse every week. 🙄
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

A bad move working Pontus out of ER.
A solid rock at the back, won almost every header and the fans loved him.

I was very surprised to hear he had gone to Brentford, but what would one expect after playing no part in the second leg of the semi final against Derby, after defying orders to allow Villa an equaliser immediately after resuming the game.

Rather than working Janson out the door LUFC should have explained the importance of fair play to him and smoothed over any disagreement he had. That way Leeds would still have this rock of a centre back doing the do for Leeds United. Instead we have calamity Cooper as our shirt pulling captain.
Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told
Can you help me?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Broad Ford wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:48 pm A bad move working Pontus out of ER.
A solid rock at the back, won almost every header and the fans loved him.

I was very surprised to hear he had gone to Brentford, but what would one expect after playing no part in the second leg of the semi final against Derby, after defying orders to allow Villa an equaliser immediately after resuming the game.

Rather than working Janson out the door LUFC should have explained the importance of fair play to him and smoothed over any disagreement he had. That way Leeds would still have this rock of a centre back doing the do for Leeds United. Instead we have calamity Cooper as our shirt pulling captain.
Maybe if Pontus had played in the 2nd leg play-off v Derby we could have arrived in the Premier League a year earlier!
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

he would have been ok if he would have played to king billys quote SIDE BEFORE SELF
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:29 am Maybe if Pontus had played in the 2nd leg play-off v Derby we could have arrived in the Premier League a year earlier!
Pontus would have guided Leeds to a Wembley final appearance. Instead without him in the semi final I had to endure cheers and laughter in my local pub as the Leeds defence was carved open by a rejuvenated Derby County.

I can clearly remember the feelings of disbelief thinking about the impact Jansen would have had as he entered the field as a second half sub. Bielsa punishing him for his disobedience and Leeds crashing out of the play-offs are mistakes Bielsa needs to learn from. In future he needs to keep hold of fan favourites, heroic defenders and rocks at the back instead of getting rid after the slightest of spats. Pontus is just the heroic figure that Leeds United need right now, but he is history and maybe there is someone further down the ranks ready to emerge as a Jansan like fan favourite, one to propel Leeds clear of the drop zone.
Can you help me?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Broad Ford wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:07 am Pontus would have guided Leeds to a Wembley final appearance. Instead without him in the semi final I had to endure cheers and laughter in my local pub as the Leeds defence was carved open by a rejuvenated Derby County.

I can clearly remember the feelings of disbelief thinking about the impact Jansen would have had as he entered the field as a second half sub. Bielsa punishing him for his disobedience and Leeds crashing out of the play-offs are mistakes Bielsa needs to learn from. In future he needs to keep hold of fan favourites, heroic defenders and rocks at the back instead of getting rid after the slightest of spats. Pontus is just the heroic figure that Leeds United need right now, but he is history and maybe there is someone further down the ranks ready to emerge as a Jansan like fan favourite, one to propel Leeds clear of the drop zone.
I can't recall Leeds conceding four goals at ER that season with Pontus in our back four.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:20 am I can't recall Leeds conceding four goals at ER that season with Pontus in our back four.
Me neither. Pontus was a rock at the back and I once remember him getting his head onto every ball the opposition crossed into the box. An amazing centre back who's attitude was one of, 'none shall pass' which ultimately cost him his place at ER.
Can you help me?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Broad Ford wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:02 pm Me neither. Pontus was a rock at the back and I once remember him getting his head onto every ball the opposition crossed into the box. An amazing centre back who's attitude was one of, 'none shall pass' which ultimately cost him his place at ER.
Brentford at ER.

Brilliant performance, I gave Pontus a 10/10 rating that day :tup:

Our fans questioned his move to Brentford & instantly wrote off one of our best CB's during the lean years.

Even Marcelo quoted that Pontus was our player of the season in Bielsa's first year at Leeds.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:46 pm What is all this praise on Pontus and Brentford he has left us lets move on we did not miss him the two seasons after he left following his hissy fit against vila.
Pontus should still be at ER, would you rather have that idiot cooper ?
As for a "hissy fit" I'd take any player who dosent want to concede over a manager who lets a team score.
Like has been said already, wouldn't be conceding as many with Pontus in the side.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Pontus was the best defender we have had for a very long time. Could he cope with playing the ball along the floor? He seems to be doing ok with Brentford who play a similar way. Not much got by PJ in the air that's for sure. Sure he may have been stubborn, eccentric at times but so was Vinny and he was nowhere near as good. He's gone but not forgotten. He has always been under valued for me and i would have him back tomorrow personally.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:33 pm Pontus was the best defender we have had for a very long time. Could he cope with playing the ball along the floor? He seems to be doing ok with Brentford who play a similar way. Not much got by PJ in the air that's for sure. Sure he may have been stubborn, eccentric at times but so was Vinny and he was nowhere near as good. He's gone but not forgotten. He has always been under valued for me and i would have him back tomorrow personally.
Well, the Brentford fans love him, they couldn't believe their luck when he signed for the Bees.

Pontus is a character who has a bit of edge to his game, an attribute I love to see in players at Leeds.

He said when he arrived at Griffin Park he would lead Brentford to the Premier League. He has proved some of our supporters wrong as can play the Bielsa style of football as the bees don't play hoof football.

Up to their 3-3 draw with Liverpool, Brentford had only conceded two goals in their first five games. Oh I wish I could post up those stats about our defence!
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:49 pm Well, the Brentford fans love him, they couldn't believe their luck when he signed for the Bees.

Pontus is a character who has a bit of edge to his game, an attribute I love to see in players at Leeds.

He said when he arrived at Griffin Park he would lead Brentford to the Premier League. He has proved some of our supporters wrong as can play the Bielsa style of football as the bees don't play hoof football.

Up to their 3-3 draw with Liverpool, Brentford had only conceded two goals in their first five games. Oh I wish I could post up those stats about our defence!
You know the script 64. There is certain defenders when you see their names on the ts it offers a sense of relief, Pontus was one of those and i am not sure we have had that since he left. Not consistently anyway. :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:59 pm You know the script 64. There is certain defenders when you see their names on the ts it offers a sense of relief, Pontus was one of those and i am not sure we have had that since he left. Not consistently anyway. :tup:
I was astounded/shocked Pontus played no part in the Derby play-offs, so yes I was concerned when Jansson's name wasn't on the team sheet.

We had Ben White for a year but once the loan period was over that was the end of his career at Leeds.

Llorente is class, unfortunately he is very fragile & misses more games than he plays.