cyber lockdown

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

cyber lockdown

Post by rab_rant »

you thought that covid lockdown was terrible. just wait to cyber lockdown hits you.

gas water electricity utilities all shut down. internet inaccessible. no access to bank accounts through online banking. hospital records held to ransom. satellite communications defunct smartphones obsolete not working.

how will you live in a post-apocalyptic world?

https://www.reuters.com/business/media- ... 021-06-08/

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

rab_rant

Re: cyber lockdown

Post by rab_rant »

it seems that it hit many online retailers as well. we are all so vulnerable. would we even be talking if the internet went down?

https://globalnews.ca/news/7930273/news ... et-outage/

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

It will be very scary and those that think these things will never happen are living in a complete fantasy, hackers are been recruited by extremists and organised crime to target large organisations, governments, Banks and all the utility companies it will not be long before one of these faces a massive outage either for political or monetary gain.

Myself I'd revert back to analogue :)

My one big wish is the likes of Facebook are taken down forever - Social Media is going to be the death of civilisation with everyone more interested in having likes from their thousands of on line "friends" rather than what's happening in their own family circle :rant:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

A Carrington event could knock out power/telecommunications etc for months as a worst case, longer if you live in the sticks.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteroseboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by whiteroseboy »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm It will be very scary and those that think these things will never happen are living in a complete fantasy, hackers are been recruited by extremists and organised crime to target large organisations, governments, Banks and all the utility companies it will not be long before one of these faces a massive outage either for political or monetary gain.

My one big wish is the likes of Facebook are taken down forever - Social Media is going to be the death of civilisation with everyone more interested in having likes from their thousands of on line "friends" rather than what's happening in their own family circle :rant:
Agree society is becoming far too reliant on these things. Every system should have a manual override.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm A Carrington event could knock out power/telecommunications etc for months as a worst case, longer if you live in the sticks.

We are so vulnerable to something like this as a civilisation now
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

since more people have been working at home during the covid lockdown there has also been an increase in cyber attacks.

Bizjournals.com: "Cyberattacks on the rise during the Covid-19 pandemic"
Government Technology: "How Is Covid-19 Creating Data Breaches?"
BBC: "Coronavirus: How the world of work may change forever"
Interpol.int: "INTERPOL report shows alarming rate of cyberattacks during COVID-19"
Techxplore.com: "Ransomware surge imperils hospitals as pandemic intensifies"
PR Newswire: "Top Cyber Security Experts Report: 4,000 Cyber Attacks a Day Since COVID-19 Pandemic"
ZDNet: "COVID-19 pandemic delivers extraordinary array of cybersecurity challenges"
Maritime Executive: "Maritime Cyberattacks Up by 400 Percent"

https://www.govtech.com/blogs/lohrmann- ... demic.html

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:18 pm We are so vulnerable to something like this as a civilisation now
Stock up on your calor gas cooking and heating, but, even if it's just till it all get repaired, we'll be living like it were the 17th century again. Could you imagine the pollution from several million fires to keep us warm if it's winter.

Shops couldn't restock and they'd run dry in a day. No medical care, petrol. I'd imagine a lot of looting would happen, stealing of food from others, killing of animals to eat. No pumping stations for your water supply needs...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

COVID-19 shows that the world is at great risk of disruption by pandemics, cyberattacks or environmental tipping points.

We should prepare for a COVID-like global cyber pandemic that will spread faster and further than a biological virus, with an equal or greater economic impact.

The coronavirus crisis provides insights into how leaders can better prepare for such cyber risks.

Lesson #1: A cyberattack with characteristics similar to the coronavirus would spread faster and further than any biological virus.

Lesson #2: The economic impact of a widespread digital shutdown would be of the same magnitude — or greater — than what we’re currently seeing.

Lesson #3: Recovery from the widespread destruction of digital systems would be extremely challenging.”

hector

Post by hector »

With luck it would get rid of the 'humans' that are a drain on society.... I would say about 1/3 of the population

trim the herd...
:mrgreen:
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Ever since time began...there has been a doomsday philosophy...the digital world is no different. Ever since the use of credit cards became common (Prior to the WWW), banks have been "writing off" billions in fraudulent actions... The development of nuclear weapons resulted in the MAD philosophy...Cyber crime now will always be with us, and dealt with...the terrorist/military (actions) implications are a different ball game.
Last edited by Smudge3920 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

hector wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:00 pm With luck it would get rid of the 'humans' that are a drain on society.... I would say about 1/3 of the population

trim the herd...
:tup:

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Ratscoot wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm It will be very scary and those that think these things will never happen are living in a complete fantasy, hackers are been recruited by extremists and organised crime to target large organisations, governments, Banks and all the utility companies it will not be long before one of these faces a massive outage either for political or monetary gain.

I came off Face ache about 7 years ago. I haven't missed it one bit.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

are you ready for the collapse.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1402217459747364865

HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I thought it was an issue with my browser, ISP, hardware. I cleared caches, shut down, switched off and switched on everything that I could think of.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Maybe the simulation hypothesis is right and they are just tripping the fuse for a rethink? :angel: