The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th June) - Leeds turn attention to Ajax ace

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th June) - Leeds turn attention to Ajax ace

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 9th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

FIFA demand Leeds pay Leipzig over JKA

Leeds have lost their legal battle with RB Leipzig over the contractual obligation to sign Jean-Kevin Augustin after the Whites won promotion at the end of the 2019-20 season. The news that FIFA had sided with the German outfit came as no surprise. Leeds will not only have to pay the 18m transfer, but may also have to pay Leipzig's legal fee's. We can expect Radrizzani to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, but will that make any difference?

Leeds knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed Augustin! It was only afterwards when it became clear that the former PSG youngster had become a liability, that lawyers found the flimsiest grounds to try to back out of the deal!

Let's be honest, Leeds were desperate having missed out on Che Adams, and they either took the biggest gamble in football history, or they didn't do their homework! Augustin had played three games in eight months - what the hell were they thinking? At the time, Augustin was also being linked to a move to Old Trafford, and there was obviously a lot of pressure on Leeds to 'get there man'. I can only conclude that Kev, his agent and Leipzig milked this for as much as they could!

Leeds turn attention to Ajax ace

Having agreed personal terms at St Mary's, it looks like Southampton have won the race to sign Brest left back Romain Perraud, with a fee agreed at 8.5m. The former Nice academy player had been on Leeds radar for months. Instead, Leeds have turned their attention to Ajax defender Nicolas Tagliafico. Tagliafico is valued at €15 million by Ajax and several clubs are monitoring his situation, after an impressive season in which he made 25 appearances. Tagliafico is under contract with Ajax until the summer of 2023 but it was reported earlier this year that he would be allowed to leave if a good offer came in. The 28 year old has 29 caps for his Country, and has been compared to Argentinian legend Javier Zanetti. Inter are also beleived to be interested in Tagliafico with vice-president Javier Zanetti in contact with the defender’s entourage.

Llorente tests positive for Covid

Diego Llorente has become the second Spanish player to test positive for the coronavirus ahead of the Euro's. The Spanish federation did not say whether Busquets and Llorente would be cut from the squad, but coach Luis Enrique has already called up six plays to practice separately at the team's training camp. He has until Saturday to make any changes. One of the six players who has been drafted in, is Rodrigo! A statement from the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) confirmed...

The RFEF regrets to announce that central defender Diego Llorente has tested positive in the latest PCR tests carried out this morning at the national team base at Las Rozas. The footballer will leave tonight the concentration of the national team in a medicalised vehicle, following all the established health protocols.

mothbanquet

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th June) - Leeds turn attention to Ajax ace

Post by mothbanquet »

These stupid international tournaments are going to be the death of us. :roll:
Byebyegeegee
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 9th June) - Leeds turn attention to Ajax ace

Post by Byebyegeegee »

We were always basing our case for JKA on a technicality, i.e. a date set that was only missed purely due to the unprecedented pandemic, but there again a date set in the contract is a date set regardless of extenuating circumstances. However, It was always going to be a bit of a long shot especially considering it’s a FIFA (where corruption has been proven to be rife) decision and I think we all knew that they would not really favour an English club over a German club. Whether we would fair any better with an appeal to “The Court of Arbitration for Sport” whatever that is, is also doubtful imo.

Still don’t fully understand the Perraud transfer tbh. If we were unwilling to pay £18m but still were keen and trying to negotiate a lower price then surely we wouldn’t have minded paying £8.5m, which is a saving of £10m. I can only presume that his agent or the player himself chose Southampton rather than us, in which case, is that not a cause for concern that we are struggling to compete with the likes of Southampton for prospective transfers?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Southampton is closer to London and going back to France... It might make a lot of sense for him to play on the south coast
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Huggins - Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:21 am Southampton is closer to London and going back to France... It might make a lot of sense for him to play on the south coast
And is the home to Ell :shock:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 am We were always basing our case for JKA on a technicality, i.e. a date set that was only missed purely due to the unprecedented pandemic, but there again a date set in the contract is a date set regardless of extenuating circumstances. However, It was always going to be a bit of a long shot especially considering it’s a FIFA (where corruption has been proven to be rife) decision and I think we all knew that they would not really favour an English club over a German club. Whether we would fair any better with an appeal to “The Court of Arbitration for Sport” whatever that is, is also doubtful imo.

Still don’t fully understand the Perraud transfer tbh. If we were unwilling to pay £18m but still were keen and trying to negotiate a lower price then surely we wouldn’t have minded paying £8.5m, which is a saving of £10m. I can only presume that his agent or the player himself chose Southampton rather than us, in which case, is that not a cause for concern that we are struggling to compete with the likes of Southampton for prospective transfers?
We just didn't do our homework. Hope we can just settle, and pay them lets say 12m
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:53 am And is the home to Ell :shock:
Not far from me .. Home of the world's greatest cricket team
21/22 team - Meslier - Ayling - Huggins - Koch - Llorente - Phillips - Dallas - Raphinha - Harrison - Klich - Rodrigo
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Morning all - the JKA thing is what it is, we’ll just have to pay up. I imagine that trying to weasel out of a contract, if that’s the reality, might make Marcelo a bit uneasy.

Shame for Llorente, we just need to hope that there are no Long Covid complications.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, this is a good read for anyone who like me shouts “GO ON LEEDS” loudly to cover up their lack of appreciation of the finer aspects of Marcelo’s tactics:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/coach-watc ... guardiola/
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Izzy Brown has been released by Chelsea.

The 24yo was inspirational in helping Sheffield Wednesday to League 1.

Willy Caballero, Jamal Blackman, Marco van Ginkel, Danilo Pantić and Jack Wakely have also been released.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am Not far from me .. Home of the world's greatest cricket team
I met Shane Warne in a lift once. He was visiting Nic Pothas who owns the Penthouse in my building.

I said You're Shane Warne. He said, yeah, I know!!!! :shock:
mothbanquet

Post by mothbanquet »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:17 am Izzy Brown was inspirational in helping Sheffield Wednesday to League 1.
He was inspirational for us as well EB. I've never been more inspired by an individual's ability to got themselves paid for being on the sickbed for a year.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:19 am I met Shane Warne in a lift once. He was visiting Nic Pothas who owns the Penthouse in my building.

I said You're Shane Warne. He said, yeah, I know!!!! :shock:
lol ...
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Carrick Dave wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:16 am If anyone hasn’t seen it, this is a good read for anyone who like me shouts “GO ON LEEDS” loudly to cover up their lack of appreciation of the finer aspects of Marcelo’s tactics:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/coach-watc ... guardiola/
Excellent article Dave :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mothbanquet wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:22 am He was inspirational for us as well EB. I've never been more inspired by an individual's ability to got themselves paid for being on the sickbed for a year.
Forshaw has made a career of being on a sickbed

Six seasons he's played 18 games or less, 7 games in the last two seasons.

50 appearances in four seasons for Leeds.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:12 am Not far from me .. Home of the world's greatest cricket team
Didn't know you had moved up to Yorkshire mate :lol:
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

Maybe I should have put oldest, the original and greatest...just for clarification
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:55 am Maybe I should have put oldest, the original and greatest...just for clarification
Only kidding Faaip.
mothbanquet

Post by mothbanquet »

1964white wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:39 am Forshaw has made a career of being on a sickbed

Six seasons he's played 18 games or less, 7 games in the last two seasons.

50 appearances in four seasons for Leeds.
Yeah but he's put in some good performances, of which I was reminded while re-watching some of our recent matches, which is why I don't put him in the same bracket. Forshaw's in his own exclusive group - the Semi-Permanently Crocked But Was Looking Half-Decent But Maybe Won't Do Now We're In The Prem Club. :)
DavidH
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DavidH »

If we do have to pay for JKA, does that not mean that he is then our player? If so, do we get the loan fees which may have been paid by those clubs who took him on these last seasons, and for that matter, his current club is listed as FC Nante., was a transfer fee paid?
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip »

DavidH wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:01 am If we do have to pay for JKA, does that not mean that he is then our player? If so, do we get the loan fees which may have been paid by those clubs who took him on these last seasons, and for that matter, his current club is listed as FC Nante., was a transfer fee paid?
Not sure who's been paying his wages, so that probably cancels out.