The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st June) - Leeds United's search for a left back continues

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st June) - Leeds United's search for a left back continues

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 21st June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Perraud interest over due to Olympics involvement...

News filtered through over the weekend detailing the probable reason why Leeds lost interest in Brest left back Romain Perraud. Leeds had been tracking the former Nice player for months, then suddenly lost interest allowing Southampton a clear passage to land the 23 year old for circa £8.5m. Perraud is expected to take part in the Olympics with the French team, and would miss the entire pre season. Sources close to the club suggest that this was enough for Bielsa to lose interest in him!

The search for a left back continues...

Fellow Frenchman Maxwel Cornet continuous to be linked, but Lyon will need to significantly lower their financial expectations from £20m to around £12m. Argentine International Nicolas Tagliafico would have made a fantastic signing for the Whites; especially with just a 10m price tag which Ajax have put on him. Unfortunately, it looks like the 28 year old is off to Inter Milan! Failing that Barcelona have also thrown their hat into the ring, though it is understood Tagliafico is not their first choice!

This leaves Huesca’s Javi Galan, though I can't help thinking he may be a last resort player for the Whites. Galan joined recently relegated Huesca from Segunda División B outfit Córdoba CF in the Summer of 2019, and has made 51 appearances for them. He is valued at £8.5m, but has a relegation clause in his contract will allow him to join Leeds for just £3.5m.

During his two year tenure, Galan has picked up some fantastic reviews for his displays. Unfortunately, many Leeds fans don't seem to get excited about a £3.5m signing! Is there any point signing him if he is only a little better than what we presently have? He is also the spitting image of a young Wayne Rooney!

Gosens Euro performance attracts Leeds attention

Robin Gosens has caught the attention of Leeds Utd, after his man of the match performance for Germany at the weekend. The 26 year old dazzled millions on TV, scoring and earning himself an assist in their 4-2 win over Portugal. He plays his club football for Serie A outfit Atalanta. In his four year stay, the versatile left sided player has made 115 appearances, netting 24 times! His display in the Euro's have also attracted the attention of Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund! Unfortunately, should Atalanta decide to cash in on their star player, Leeds will have to dig deep if they intend to bring him to West Yorkshire!

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st June) The reason why Leeds pulled the plug on the Perraud deal...

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Does the world of click bait think we need a Left Back by any chance :duno:

I think like last season the first we'll know of any signings is when they actually sign, Leeds now a days seem to keep all potential signings under wraps and if anything is leaked to the press Leeds soon distance themselves from the player which isn't such a bad thing I suppose
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st June) The reason why Leeds pulled the plug on the Perraud deal...

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 am Does the world of click bait think we need a Left Back by any chance :duno:

It's a position that we know the club have identified, Phil Hay and Graham Smyth have confirmed as much. This does mean however that we will be linked with every left back in summer.

As you say, they deals came out of nowhere last summer, the club will keep their cards very close to their chest and will likely be put off those players whose agents are seeking publicity and trying to pish deals.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

YorkshireSquare wrote: publicity and trying to pish deals.
Pish deals!!!!???
you got that exactly right

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st June) - Leeds United's search for a left back continues

Post by The Subhuman »

Interesting that it sounds like Marcelo nixed the Perraud deal ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 21st June) - Leeds United's search for a left back continues

Post by Ellandback1 »

I used to play left back for my School :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Goes to show dumb some football fans are. Just because they don't cost £50m doesn't mean they're rubbish. Mahrez was £250k to Leicester for example, Maguire £80m. Is Maguire the best defender in the world because of his price tag? Of course not, I wouldn't even have him at Leeds.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 am I used to play left back for my School :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Left back at the school when everyone else got on the coach?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Gosens is coming into the last year of his contract, so wouldn't break the bank
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

faaip wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:34 am Left back at the school when everyone else got on the coach?
I was left back in the changing rooms
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Romain Perraud.

Makes sense i suppose.

However that would count out Cunha for the same reason i imagine

Robin Gosens

Given he plays for probably the most similar club side to us in Atalanta and he got 12 goals and 8 assists from left back last season, he would be ideal.

Unfortunately i would think this is a deal that would have needed to be done pre Euros.

He is now a breakout star and will have far richer clubs watching him.

Also apparently Atalanta had an extension option in his contract and it runs now to 2023 (although no confirmation seemingly) sp he may not be cheap, £30+mil is reportedly what it would take now.

Cant see it unfortunately.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Ratscoot wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:09 am Morning EB et all

Does the world of click bait think we need a Left Back by any chance :duno:

I think like last season the first we'll know of any signings is when they actually sign, Leeds now a days seem to keep all potential signings under wraps and if anything is leaked to the press Leeds soon distance themselves from the player which isn't such a bad thing I suppose
My thoughts exactly
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

faaip wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:34 am Left back at the school when everyone else got on the coach?
Classic 😂
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 am I was left back in the changing rooms
:lol:

Had to go right back to the start
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

SG90 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:50 am Goes to show dumb some football fans are. Just because they don't cost £50m doesn't mean they're rubbish. Mahrez was £250k to Leicester for example, Maguire £80m. Is Maguire the best defender in the world because of his price tag? Of course not, I wouldn't even have him at Leeds.
Yeah, Maguire is a good old fashioned donkey, ideal for Southgate ball.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Gosens was excellent against Portugal but he won't be joining us.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:03 am I was left back in the changing rooms
That's the one we used at school.
Dutch Peacock
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dutch Peacock »

And what about Van Aanholt for left back? Free transfer and starter for Holland in the last three games. Great energy on the left and does well with the pressing with the other Dutch players. Maybe a cheap option if we can’t get the left backs we want.
Smudge3920
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Smudge3920 »

Dutch Peacock wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:08 pm And what about Van Aanholt for left back? Free transfer and starter for Holland in the last three games. Great energy on the left and does well with the pressing with the other Dutch players. Maybe a cheap option if we can’t get the left backs we want.
Definately a cheap option...however 30 years old and been with 7 clubs in the past 10 seasons... Not sure a lot could be done with him now.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Leeds1000 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:24 pm That's the one we used at school.
Yes you can't beat the oldies.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa