Junior Firpo

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Currie14
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Junior Firpo

Post by Currie14 »

One thing even my daughter has noticed and commented on is that we almost never come out of a tackle with the ball (KP excepted) there are always ricochets and bobbling balls which end up back in the opposition's possession. Firpo was the same yesterday and nearly everyone fluffed clearances too (Llorente excepted). Agree that JF needs time to settle in but it really needs to be sooner rather than later. What wing is St Maximum on cos he will tear anyone a new one!
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am Oh I know you are always concerned Swannie ;-)
Thank You

You know me too well.... :lol:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I thought he had a shaky first half but a much better second. And, as someone else pointed out, he was up against Salah, who gives most LBs a torrid time. I'm in the far too early to write him off camp. The opening fixtures have not been kind to us, and we've hand our arses handed to us by a couple of the big boys which has made fans jittery. But our season won't be defined by those games, we are in a different bracket to scum and Liverpool.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:20 pm I thought he had a shaky first half but a much better second. And, as someone else pointed out, he was up against Salah, who gives most LBs a torrid time. I'm in the far too early to write him off camp. The opening fixtures have not been kind to us, and we've hand our arses handed to us by a couple of the big boys which has made fans jittery. But our season won't be defined by those games, we are in a different bracket to scum and Liverpool.
But not Everton & Burnley, two games we never looked like winning Nick.

Injuries/suspensions not being kind to us too!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Currie14 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 am One thing even my daughter has noticed and commented on is that we almost never come out of a tackle with the ball (KP excepted) there are always ricochets and bobbling balls which end up back in the opposition's possession. Firpo was the same yesterday and nearly everyone fluffed clearances too (Llorente excepted). Agree that JF needs time to settle in but it really needs to be sooner rather than later. What wing is St Maximum on cos he will tear anyone a new one!
Good observation from your daughter Currie.

Saint-Maximin is primary a left winger.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:48 pm Thank You

You know me too well.... :lol:
:tup: :lol:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Despite all the comments on here, seven people had him in their top 6 yesterday.
I thought he did okay, apart from the first 15 minutes when Salah gave him a torrid time but Salah does that to a lot of defenders.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Johnboy1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Johnboy1965 »

It was obvious that Salah would give JF a torrid time as has been said Salah does that to most defenders. That is where tactics come into play- why leave him exposed against one of the best in the world when we should have been doubling up on him? Too often JF was left on his own with little or no help. Only one outcome there I'm afraid.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:34 pm But not Everton & Burnley, two games we never looked like winning Nick.

That's true, though Burnley did just basically kick us off the park. We've have't started well, there's no denying that, and you're right re injuries and suspensions but we are 4 games in and we will kick on at some point. Hopefully Friday night against the Geordies. I love Bielsa, but I do wish he'd change things up based on the opposition. We cannot go toe to toe with the big boys, we have to be cuter than that. I thought he had sussed that in the second half of last season but we were wide open yesterday, which was simply asking for trouble.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:34 pm But not Everton & Burnley, two games we never looked like winning Nick.

I think if you look at Everton you may find an unbroken stay in the top flight going back years, they should be better, more experienced. We're only in season 2 after 16 away ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

He’s coming into a team that’s wobbling at the moment and losing confidence. That certainly isn’t helping him to settle.

Some of his positioning has been poor but I’m still optimistic that there’s a decent player in there. I’m with the give him time camp - also we have absolutely no choice in this position now anyway.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:22 pm I think if you look at Everton you may find an unbroken stay in the top flight going back years, they should be better, more experienced. We're only in season 2 after 16 away ...
That reasoning applies to the majority of the PL clubs we'll face this season,

We lost at home to Everton & beat them at Goodison plus walloped Burnley at Turf Moor last season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:03 pm That's true, though Burnley did just basically kick us off the park. We've have't started well, there's no denying that, and you're right re injuries and suspensions but we are 4 games in and we will kick on at some point. Hopefully Friday night against the Geordies. I love Bielsa, but I do wish he'd change things up based on the opposition. We cannot go toe to toe with the big boys, we have to be cuter than that. I thought he had sussed that in the second half of last season but we were wide open yesterday, which was simply asking for trouble.
Agree with all that Nick.

I feel more concerned this season than I did at anytime during last season

We had beaten Fulham & Sheff Utd, drawn with Citeh & was unlucky not to grab a point at Anfield in our opening game.

We performed quite well in all those four matches

Bamford had scored three goals & continued in a rich vein of form in future games.

We conceded 8 goals but counteracted our defensive woes scoring 9 goals.

Not the case this season on any of the above four facts
superwhite
Ballboy
Ballboy

Firpo

Post by superwhite »

Early days I know but Firpo is looking lost out on the field, I didn't like Alioski at FB but Firpo has looked and performed like a Championship player at best. His positional play is particularly weak and can't tackle. I hope he improves but not many of Victor Orta's purchases have been successful, quite the opposite, if I was 'Radz' I'd sack him, he wastes far too much money signing has-beens, never will be's and the terminally ill brigade.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Firpo

Post by Leeds1000 »

Boy. Boy . You want more Boy. ;-) He's only played a couple of games? Rodrigo is into his second season what have you got to say about him? And when Rodrigo had Covid some people gave him a 6 months pass due to the overstated possibility of Long Covid. Firpo is back playing within a few weeks.

In saying that he's from Barca he must be good. Like Kiko before him.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Firpo will come good.

Lets remember most of our woes are coming from being unable to win back the ball high up the pitch, an area that we have excelled in, especially with Klich in there calling the shots

He will build an understanding with Harrison over the season and we will see some of that slick interplay that brought so much goals from the left side of the pitch.

Firpo has been caught out of position a couple of times but he will learn.

As for Rodrigo, play the lad up top and allow him to do his stuff, either that or leave him on the bench and bring him on as an impact sub.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Had an excellent game for me today, fitting in nicely
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Good game, could have gotten a second yellow but wasn't the only one. Good going forward, defence needs a bit of work, went down too early for their goal. Is going to be a decent player for us
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Boo Radley
First Team
First Team

Post by Boo Radley »

He looked fine coming forward, even if he crowded James on a number of occasions by simply running up on top of him.

Defensively, he looked at sea. Maybe he’s still getting up to speed but he looks really slow in getting back into position. He doesn’t seem to read his position in defence at all and he doesn’t have the acceleration to react to a pacy attack.

I hope I’m wrong, but having a Barcelona fan thanking me profusely for actually giving them money while also taking him off their hands added to my worries.
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

I thought he was shite.. simple as.. 🙈

Early days, give him time etc I know.